• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ratings Website for Discs

I think the whole thing is kind of tough. I get that a certain speeds, discs are supposed to do certain things. But it sure is difficult to compare a pro's throw to what a disc does in my noodle arm. Plus, there are skip shots and so forth. I love reading about this stuff, but it can be frustrating at the same time. I'm not sure where I am going with this except that, I feel reviewing is discs is tough.

How many threads have we had where people list opposite results. It all gets kind of blurred after while. Anyway, just throwing that out there.

The thing is, if you have what you call a noodle arm, you should really mostly stick to lower speed discs as the higher speed discs won't perform the way they should until you get the technique to throw them. By the way, the best thing in the world for me was to start throwing rocs regularly as they work right when you get better technique. Now I can crank my Firebird over and I can throw my Wraith the way it's supposed to fly. Beato's vids helped with that a lot as well.

So for me, I find disc reviews to be really useful since you can take into account the throwers experience and ability to help filter their review.

I do wish the ratings were adjusted for plastic type. For instance, a DX Valk and a Champ Valk have such a stability gap that they are almost 2 different discs. I dislike Discrafts rating system but at least they attempt to adjust for plastic variance.

What we really, really, really need is a breakdown on types of plastic.

All charts fail due to this alone.

If we can get an average player (about 350 ft drive), and the guts to pony out the money to mail him a disc to test and record, we can make a "comprehensive" chart. Better yet, if three people (250ft drive, 350, and 450) lived near each other we could make a beginner, average, advanced chart.

I'm sure we can cover just about every single plastic and disc out there with our resources. It would cost about $5 per disc (2.50 shipping each way).

I know in league there are people who would DIE to be the testers.

I've thought about making a DGR site many times.... the backend would be fairly easy and once it's beaten up and bug-free it is almost zero maintenance...

disc review concepts:
If i were designing a site it'd put in the following things... (i would spend the time to make it very "expandable" and have a lot of things that could allow for interesting second tier grading/analytics -> idea being that it could be a very useful resource $$$ for someone at some point. maybe enough $ to recoup hosting/databasing costs????!!!!)

I'd make a member rating system. This would prevent malicious postings and allow for a second tier system of grading based on user entered data (Post Count, Skill level, throw ability, distances,etc) it is possible you could allow for a "guest"/"anonymous" ranking that could be used to flag or remove posts... (remember the point of the site is actually for user entered data to generate analytical data and pattern consistencies.....)

Weight
Plastic Type
Prototype/CFR/TFR/1st run Designation with user entered description (ie. 1st run stamp, "peeing Lemon katana", etc)
year/date (captured from timestamp)
User Entered Range - (Ie. Max Distance, Fairway, Approach, Putter, etc)
User Entered Throwing Distance Range
User Selected Throwing Methods (Forehand, Backhand, overhand, etc)
Age of Disc being reviewed (new, broken in, old)
User Recommended Throwing Skill (Amateur, Advanced, Pro, etc)
Simple "Yes/No" - Would you buy it again?
User Review

* ALso note, only a few of the above questions would be required in the form entry....

Possible Second Tier Questions:
Compares to <XXX> disc ( Allows you to "cluster" discs via analytics.)
Do you Agree with Ratings <Speed, Glide, Turnover, Fade> Allows you to generate an average analytic rating. (In the beginning it would be horrible, but after enough posts, it would find a "true" level)

with the right coding and sql/database management you's be surprised at how useful and easy a site like this could be. (if i were to do this, id also ask the DGR guy if i could get a copy of his database and import it into mine...the data is raw and not quite compatible, but still useful none-the-less.)

Last edited:
I've thought about making a DGR site many times.... the backend would be fairly easy and once it's beaten up and bug-free it is almost zero maintenance...

disc review concepts:
If i were designing a site it'd put in the following things... (i would spend the time to make it very "expandable" and have a lot of things that could allow for interesting second tier grading/analytics -> idea being that it could be a very useful resource $$$ for someone at some point. maybe enough $ to recoup hosting/databasing costs????!!!!)

I'd make a member rating system. This would prevent malicious postings and allow for a second tier system of grading based on user entered data (Post Count, Skill level, throw ability, distances,etc) it is possible you could allow for a "guest"/"anonymous" ranking that could be used to flag or remove posts... (remember the point of the site is actually for user entered data to generate analytical data and pattern consistencies.....)

Weight
Plastic Type
Prototype/CFR/TFR/1st run Designation with user entered description (ie. 1st run stamp, "peeing Lemon katana", etc)
year/date (captured from timestamp)
User Entered Range - (Ie. Max Distance, Fairway, Approach, Putter, etc)
User Entered Throwing Distance Range
User Selected Throwing Methods (Forehand, Backhand, overhand, etc)
Age of Disc being reviewed (new, broken in, old)
User Recommended Throwing Skill (Amateur, Advanced, Pro, etc)
Simple "Yes/No" - Would you buy it again?
User Review

* ALso note, only a few of the above questions would be required in the form entry....

Possible Second Tier Questions:
Compares to <XXX> disc ( Allows you to "cluster" discs via analytics.)
Do you Agree with Ratings <Speed, Glide, Turnover, Fade> Allows you to generate an average analytic rating. (In the beginning it would be horrible, but after enough posts, it would find a "true" level)

with the right coding and sql/database management you's be surprised at how useful and easy a site like this could be. (if i were to do this, id also ask the DGR guy if i could get a copy of his database and import it into mine...the data is raw and not quite compatible, but still useful none-the-less.)

This is almost exactly what I have in the works... I have the disc and ratings/reviews databases ready, just working on frontend stuff mostly now. I'm definitely doing a "this disc works well for X", where X will be a set of checkboxes for all kinds of throw types, distances, and situations. Should be fun and useful!

What would you write it in? I've always developed in Zope or PHP, but I've been playing with Django lately, and it would be perfect for something like this.

I'm doing mine in PHP mostly... Never seen Django, I'll have to check it out sometime.
It's a lot like Ruby on Rails, but in Python (and I'm primarily a python programmer, so it appeals to me). What blew me away was the ORM that's built in. I used to use SQLAlchemy, but have started decoupling the ORM from Django, because it's so clean, and easy to use (and then all of my models carry over to use on a web interface, if one's needed). Good stuff ..

This is almost exactly what I have in the works... I have the disc and ratings/reviews databases ready, just working on frontend stuff mostly now. I'm definitely doing a "this disc works well for X", where X will be a set of checkboxes for all kinds of throw types, distances, and situations. Should be fun and useful!

obviously, all of the items i included are important, but (to me) the most interesting part (experiment wise) would be how all the discs "settle" when users vote on how a disc preforms against it's rating numbers... They vote, agree, faster, slower, more, less... etc.... when everything was done, we'd have a very comprehensive list of where most discs rank (via statistical averages)... my thought is that a site like yours, eventually, would be an amazing resource for the community, and the analytics could really be an asset and worth money to the manufacturers...
(x disc is rated as pro.... y disc is considered an approach disc rather than a fairway...most of the people who use Z disc are amateurs.... Disc A is in the same category as our competitor's disc B, etc..)
i havent quite thought how to implement it, but a rating system would be very useful... i am sure a roc would rate super high, while a groove would rank very low... something this simple would be very useful to disc purchasing....

it would be nice, however, to be able to go to a web site and put in a throwing type, (overhand, backhand), a range (approach) or distance range (250'-300) and have a list of discs, from all manufacturers propagate....

my biggest hangup is the hosting cost.... but this could be recouped by ads and "buy it now" links from each disc page that redirects to a retailer (or your own internal store).

for me, i'd steal the ratings from Discgolfcenter as they have innova based ratings for all discs.... it would give you and the visitors a place to start and give you a baseline for comparisons. (From a data standpoint, sorting by "faster speed" or "more glide" is a lot easier when all discs have a rating.)

good luck...
(i'd code it in ASP & SQL) <- i'm a self taught coder who lives in the world of finances, not computers.

I have been developing a site very similar to a few of the posts. Should be up and running in a few weeks. I have the disc review part working, but I wanted to add additional features to the site. I don't want it just to be a disc review site.

I do need help testing it out, and making sure everything is working ok, and helping fill out content. If anyone would like to help, let me know. I am not ready to post the URL, but if you PM me I will let you know.

Blake's (Joe's) ratings are based on intended flight speed, that's what the "PWR" is for. For example, If you don't throw over 375' then you shouldn't expect a disc with a pwr of 6 to fly as it is rated

I thought he said he was contemplating changing the "PWR" for some discs due to the fact that people are throwing faster now (probably the highest speed drivers).

Nevertheless, it's a good resource. As long as the numbers are consistent I can adjust for my particular case.

my biggest hangup is the hosting cost.... but this could be recouped by ads and "buy it now" links from each disc page that redirects to a retailer (or your own internal store).

This shouldn't really that big of a hangup. Lunarpages has some solid plans with good options that would cost less than $100 per year.