• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Re-throwing OB Disc

where the disc went OB or the type of shot is irrelevant.

It's as simple as "you can re-use the same disc as long as you stay within your 30 seconds"

This! yes you can use the same disc if you can retrieve it and tee off again within "30 seconds". Which under most cases is impossible so that is why people say you can't. It's a typical bad use of english. About the only time where you can retrieve the disc and still throw again in appropriate time is a putt. Anything other then that would be near impossible unless you are a really fast runner.

That's only if you're required to throw from the previous lie or a drop zone. More often, you're throwing from where the disc crossed the OB line. If it is still close to the line, it can be very easy to retrieve it and still execute a throw within 30 seconds.

What Brad said. Most of the time with this non-rule rule about not re-throwing an OB disc, it isn't an issue of time that prompts players to proclaim the "rule". They're not abbreviating or simplifying an explanation by simply saying that it just can't be done. They genuinely believe that the player is not allowed to throw the disc no matter what.

When I've been a witness to this non-rule being invoked, it's nearly always been a case like Brad describes where the disc is easily within reach from the player's lie one meter from where the disc last crossed from in-bounds and can be retrieved and thrown easily within a 30 second window. It's rarely been a case of a player trying to run down the fairway and retrieve a disc in order to re-tee or re-throw. And the rule was invoked mainly out of ignorance or an attempt to mess with the head of the individual who threw the disc in the first place.

When I've been a witness to this non-rule being invoked, it's nearly always been a case like Brad describes where the disc is easily within reach from the player's lie one meter from where the disc last crossed from in-bounds and can be retrieved and thrown easily within a 30 second window.

And sometimes, if I am not mistaken, it is actually necessary to go after the disk and find it in order to establish more accurately where the disc went out of bounds. And while you are out there you might as well pick up the disc.

100000000% sure on this.

You CAN use the same disc, 30 second rule applies.

Assuming, as JC noted, there's not a special condition prohibiting players from
retrieving their disc: see USDGC holes 6-9.

That's only if you're required to throw from the previous lie or a drop zone. More often, you're throwing from where the disc crossed the OB line. If it is still close to the line, it can be very easy to retrieve it and still execute a throw within 30 seconds.

very true.

Wow, I leave for a couple hours and this gets to 3 pages worth of posts!

Thanks for all the comments and info, glad to know I wasn't crazy about never hearing or reading of this "rule" before.

For the record, this was at the Aces & Chains First Flight tournament, hole #9 of Channahon Community Park in long position (565').

There was a "casual OB" line part-way down on the right side of the fairway that was un-fenced private property, with a painted OB line. My drive went OB there, and my subsequent throw 1 meter from where it crossed the OB line hit a tree and fell to the ground OB about 40' away, never having been in-bounds.

I ran over, grabbed the disc, returned to my previous lie and successfully threw my next shot which landed in bounds. This definitely took less than 30 seconds.

The line-person came over and told me that "next time I would have to use a different disc", and I couldn't understand why until she explained this "rule" to me. I asked her if she knew what section of the rulebook that was in as I wanted to look it up, and she said she didn't, and I could tell she felt I was "challenging" her. A couple of my card-mates were standing there when she said this, and as we walked down the fairway they agreed that my what I had done was a rules violation, but also told me "not to worry about it too much, that lady always has to be right." (They were locals and evidently knew her, I was very much an out-of-towner).

I was not assessed a penalty for this, but had anyone on my card insisted on stroking me for it I wouldn't have argued since a) I didn't have my rulebook on me and b) both the tournament official and the other players on my card seemed sure this was a rule.

When I got back to my car I looked through the rulebook and couldn't find anything about this, which led to my original post that started this thread.

I attended all players meetings before each round and do not recall anything about this being announced, the only discussion regarding rules was clarification on a couple of OB locations and that the 2-meter rule was not in effect.

Thanks again!

Maybe its been said before but it is important to point out that the 3 minute search rule does not apply when a disc has gone OB (no long search for an OB disc), unless the group need to find the disc to clearly say that it has gone OB.

Assuming, as JC noted, there's not a special condition prohibiting players from
retrieving their disc: see USDGC holes 6-9.

USDGC is the absolute worst event in the sport for examples of rules.

The saddest part of all of this was the "official" that enforced this phantom rule

I didn't see if anyone mentioned this in the thread, but in an older rule book, if you were called on a foot fault outside 10m you were not allowed to retrieve the thrown disc for your rethrow. That may be where some veteran players transposed this concept into not being allowed to retrieve your OB disc.

Just for the record, the spotter was a volunteer, and not a TD for the tournament.

It sounds like it was played correctly. You CAN use the same disc, as long as you can do so within the 30 second time limit.

Also, always remember that you can play a provisional when there is a disagreement about the rules and how a shot should be played next. Play both shots, the one the group thinks is correct, and the one you think is correct. Play them both out to completion of the hole. Then ask the TD after the round is complete, and the TD can make a ruling. Your score on that hole will be based on the shots that fit the correct ruling.

By the way, I've heard that rule many times before. Just because someone says it, does not make it true. Always carry a rule book for your own protection. That way, you can make the proper call immediately, and not be wondering about it the whole round. Better that, than to let another player (or anyone else for that matter) get into your head.

I didn't see if anyone mentioned this in the thread, but in an older rule book, if you were called on a foot fault outside 10m you were not allowed to retrieve the thrown disc for your rethrow. That may be where some veteran players transposed this concept into not being allowed to retrieve your OB disc.

I was going to reply with this same rule Chuck mentioned above. We have basically adapted this rule to include all mulligans when applicable, like when playing cali or pay-per-mulligan events.

As Chuck says, that's very easily transposed to an OB rethrow situation.

Personally, i think it's a good rule that could/should be applied to OB rethrows more than 10 meters.

As Chuck says, that's very easily transposed to an OB rethrow situation.

Personally, i think it's a good rule that could/should be applied to OB rethrows more than 10 meters.

why? imo the time limit on taking your turn is sufficient.

I like the *opinion* of "you can' rethrow an OB disc on your next throw (it's NOT a rule). It would stop the guys who throw 400, and will "be right back" with it for their re-tee/throw. Take your medicine, grab another disc, move on.

I like the *opinion* of "you can' rethrow an OB disc on your next throw (it's NOT a rule). It would stop the guys who throw 400, and will "be right back" with it for their re-tee/throw. Take your medicine, grab another disc, move on.

The 30 second time limit accomplishes this.

30 seconds does the job perfectly well on this. No player can retrieve a disc from 400 feet away and get back to his previous lie to re-throw within 30 seconds. 400 feet = ~122 meters. So round trip is about 244 meters. The world record for 200 meters is 19.19 seconds, and I think it's safe to say no disc golfer can run like Usain Bolt.

And frankly, what is the objection to the player throwing the same disc twice anyway? He just threw it OB once...isn't it possible he'll throw it OB again? Not sure what there is to gain by "punishing" the player by forcing him to throw something else. He's already penalized for being OB and also by any distance he might have lost based on where he has to take his next shot.

I agree with whitey bear only because it's easier to point to a rule that says "don't use the same disc" instead of pointing to a different rule about speed of play that will most likely cause argument.

It is easier to say, "no smoking" than it is to say "do not intentionally light something on fire that produces gasses somebody might otherwise be intolerant of."

I agree with whitey bear only because it's easier to point to a rule that says "don't use the same disc" instead of pointing to a different rule about speed of play that will most likely cause argument.

But why is there a need for a rule that says "don't use the same disc" at all? I guess that's the real crux of this whole thing. If it's a matter of not wanting to wait for a player to retrieve the disc, then the 30-second rule covers it and no further rule is needed. If it's for some other reason, what is that reason? It has to be more than "I just want to punish the player further", IMO.

If it's a matter of not wanting to wait for a player to retrieve the disc, then the 30-second rule covers it and no further rule is needed. If it's for some other reason, what is that reason? It has to be more than "I just want to punish the player further", IMO.

I agree. Some people only carry three discs. Driver/Mid/Putter
Heck we got one guy that carries only one and can beat a lot of guys.
In a PDGA event can you let someone borrow your disc for a throw? I know it says you have to put your initials/mark your disc but does that mean only you can throw YOUR discs?

Latest posts