• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reachback problems

josiahm

Hey all just hoping to get some help with my reach back. I'm having an issue with me off hand coming up and grabbing the rim of the disc when I go into my reach back thus I feel like I'm not getting a complete reach back. So here is the problem I have tried going into the field and not bringing my off hand up and it goes pretty well with my mids and putters but the second I pick up any sort of driver I just hyzer like no tomorrow right out of my hand. Pretty frustrated because I feel like I'm getting robbed on distance but so far have had no luck on a solution.

First, I use both a short and a long reach back, as do most Pros. The only thing that really matters is that you have room to put the disc on a path that allows good snap. That isn't a straight pull through, it's a path. Go look at the Spin TV slow mo video and you will see all the top guys do it. The disc moves in towards the chest, then snaps out as they unwind the elbow. As long as your reach back allows that move in towards the chest, you are good to go. Second, I never touch my disc with my off hand once I start my run up. You should have a light but firm grip on the disc, firm enough that you can point it, tip it and line it up on any line you want without the other hand on the disc. Again, watch all the top players, none of them touch the disc. Watch especially Paul McBeth. His off hand and arm are pointing straight down. That is so they don't inhibit body rotational speed and movement.

Good Luck!

Issue is nose up, drivers really don't like nose up. Check your grip and your swing plane, you are probably swinging downward from a high reachback with the disc nose up in your grip. Keep the disc level to your throwing plane, for a flat throw the disc should always be parallel to the ground and your shoulders and always the same height from the ground, not moving up/down for flat.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

See Door Frame Drills:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

Swing plane/posture alignments:

A good reach around is a hard thing to master, having long arms and being limber does help a lot.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Like I said as long as I bring up my off hand when I reach back its all good disc comes out clean, flat and straight. I do see what Sidewinder is saying about me probably coming off plane. I will try some stuff I the field and see how it goes. Might try to get a video to post in the Form Critique section if I feel brave....