• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Realistic expectations

Valid question that can have multiple answers. The kind of faqs here are the articles on the main page the 300' thread Dan Beato video a couple threads down and often asked issues on the forums but nothing has been canonized yet. At one point there was talk of that work but since Dan Beto mentioned wanting to make a commercial video i thought it would be better so i did not start it. Common questions and answers include nose down pulling close to the chest in a straight line leading with the elbow wrist use in the snap the pause footwork and so on. Because there are different techniques and many stick with one often their own mix of what many pros use not everyone can give a comprehensive comparison so that kind of help is often tailored to the person asking questions on how to improve their form.

some basics:

1) Not pulling tight enough
2) Not stopping the elbow
3) Nose up throws
4) No wrist extension
5) Pulling too early
6) Not weight forward
7) Not finishing

Disc Golf Driving Checklist

Injection and Compression Side (up to where the disc gets real heavy loading fingers)

Things to look for:

1. Light quick footing
2. Plant foot at about 90 degrees with slightly bent knee
3. Hips opening up first
4. Shoulder turn next and fast (both hands tight to body)
5. Elbow extension following (not concurrent with shoulder turn)
6. Wrist stop
7. Powerful wrist position
8. Powerful grip especially after pivot at rip point
9. Disc held high through throw
10. Wrist down and disc in plane with throw

Ejection and Pull Through Side (where heavy disc springs and rips from grip)

Things to look for:

1. Weight over plant foot and still in front of disc
2. Pull through with full force of shoulders and arm (maximum power exerted at this point, not before)
3. Pull through ending up at least 180 degrees from the target.
4. Plane of arm matches plane of disc
5. Pivot on front foot (ball or heel, but ball is better)

That's a great list. I respectfully disagree with a couple of those...

discraft said:
9. Disc held high through throw
You can have success with a lower pull through. Schusterick and Feldberg are examples.

discraft said:
5. Pivot on front foot (ball or heel, but ball is better)
Heel pivot is better in my opinion. Less stress on the knee and helps maintain a straight line from the heel up through hip and shoulder.

In my mind, there is only one "basic:" being able to fling the disc out with a strong hit.

Everything else just allows you to do this one thing stronger, with more finesse or on a different line (or some combination thereof). When you master the hit, the rest starts to make sense and is more or less obvious.