• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rec Needed: Course to Play on Drive between Grand Rapids, MI and Cleveland

bhadella

* Ace Member *
I have to take a business trip to Cleveland in the middle of our annual family vacation in Eastern Michigan. Since this will be a leasurely Sunday drive between Grand Rapids and Cleveland without the wife and daughter; I want to pick a course to play on the way. And suggestions? It appears the highly rated courses along the drive are:

Burchfield Park, Holt, MI
Independence Lake, Red Hawk, Whitmore Lake, MI
Fallasburg Park, Lowell, MI
Rolling Hills County Park, Ypsilanti, MI

I'm a Charlotte local so I am a fan of tougher/technical courses. I will hopefully be hitting up Flip City the day before so no need to include it in suggestions. Thanks!

FALLASBURG!!!!!!!

*flexes*

I haven't played the others, but you can NOT go wrong w/ Fallasburg from the longs. :)

I've played every one but Burchfield. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these courses. If you're looking to break up the drive, Rolling Hills would be strong choice. It's sort of half-way between the two cities, and it's only about four miles off of I-94. The negative on Rolling is that without county residency, the park fee is $10. Same for Independence Lake. Burchfield charges a vehicle fee as well, but I don't recall how much. Maybe look for a course guide with a vehicle pass and hitch a ride into the park.

Good luck!

I think I will go with Rolling Hills County Park, Ypsilanti, MI to break up the drive. Thanks for the advice folks!

I really enjoyed Rolling Hills! Very favorable for a lefty and really well maintained. The park (and local club I assume) takes equisite care of the course, well worth the effort and $10 to play. Now Flip on the other hand, a dissapointment. I'll leave it at that. Visiting there truly makes me appreciate what we have in Charlotte.

Haven't played Burchfield yet, but all of the others you listed are strong choices, so you really can't lose, but personally... I'd recommend Indy Lake, especially now that they've finished the terraforming on hole 16 and poured concrete tees for the new supplemental A-F holes.

Just be prepared for a relatively expensive single round between park entry and/or pay to play fees at Burchfield, or Rolling Hills/Indy Lake... pales in comparison to other costs for a trip, but it's one of those things that stings less when you expect it rather than being sprung on you when you didn't expect it. If you have the time, you can play Indy Lake and Rolling Hills the same day with the same daily Washtenaw County Park.

Last edited:

Latest posts