• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Relativity 24.5mm Distance Driver

It's just weird because I can get consistently good shaped flights out of my ballista pro, nuke ss, and destiny just fine, and I throw Shrykes/Catalyst just fine as well. Never thought there'd be such a dramatic difference with this particular mold.

Okay so I bought a 173g proton big dome Relativity from my local store. It had some sharp flashing on its rim still, but luckily whatever mvp uses for its overmold is soft and easy to sand away really fast. I wanted to see how it held up vs my longest discs. For reference I average around 330-360 feet of power on flat ground.

Definitely a huge rim, and I'm finding it a little hard to grip, with its combination of large rim, slick plastic, and big dome. Rim is up there with Boss and Nuke/SS for 25mm big boy rims. This Relativity isn't nearly as flippy as I thought it'd be either, and especially not as glidey as I thought it'd be. This thing flies like a rock for me. It has the ability to get out there decently far on speed alone, but it doesn't like to stay in the air for that long. All my glidiest discs bounce around a little while in flight, and want to fight against dumping into the ground too soon. I'm finding the Relativity doesn't have that proclivity. I can see its speed, but at the same time it never appears to cut through the air as fast as my Goldline Ballista Pro, nor have the glide of the supposed 4 glide Ballista Pro, and definitely not the glide of the Destiny.

It's very angle sensitive too. Even in fairly st rong headwinds, when put on a decent Hyzer, it holds that Hyzer line and dumps left. Put it on a slight anhyzer on a neutral wind, it it turns and burns into the ground. The few times I was able to get a very pretty looking S-flight out of it, it never outdistanced my VIP Destiny or even my lightweight Goldline Ballista Pro. I would say that in most situations, it has around the same stability as my Ballista Pro, except it has the ability to just crash and burn on a turnover, while the Ballista Pro doesn't. I have a super domey pop-top Plasma Catalyst that flies just like my domey GStar Shryke, and I can get consistent right finishing S-flights out of both of them, but the Relativity is such a drastic departure.

I'm gonna say I don't have the arm power for it just yet, but I also want to see what I could do with maybe a Neutron Relativity that isn't quite as domey. I historically have not had good results with very domey discs as I just can't grip them as well, and I've also found that MVP's Neutron plastic to be some of the nicest and grippiest premo plastic on the market.

Good post/review. I've highlighted the part I find most illuminating. I throw at least 100' further than you, and I see the exact same thing with my Relativities. I can just MASH on these things hyzer and sometimes they won't even pop up to flat. I'll still get 400' out of them, but its a low, fast 400' with no flex. As soon as I decide to get more aggressive and put anhyzer on the Relativity it dive bombs WAAAAYYYY to the right and eats ground.

The Relativity has a very narrow window of effective flight. You need to do everything just perfect or the disc won't fly to its max potential. I had a magical day a couple weeks ago when I was getting the Relativity on a great hyzerflip line. It was S curving beautifully and soaring out to about 475'. These were some of the longest throws of my life.... and I was doing it one after another.

I agree the Relativity is a little stubborn and can seem glideless. If you don't get the disc flat (too much hyzer) it will listlessly stall out and fade hard and short. The distance here isn't effortless, and the Relativity is NOT floaty like a Shryke. I've found that the best way to throw a Relativity is just SLIGHTLY hyzer. You want it to pop up to flat, but not flip all the way over. If I throw the disc flat or anny it'll turn and burn.

I guess my advice would be to keep practicing with the Relativity. I fully realize its a frustrating disc. However, when I hammer one just right it'll outfly any other driver I've ever seen. The disc's distance potential is staggering, but finding the right line to put it on to achieve said distance can be aggravating. I find that I have a much easier time throwing hyzerflip bombs with Shrykes. They always bend to the right, but hook up late in flight and come back. Often with the Relativity I won't get any late fade. It'll flip over and stay there.

Good post/review. I've highlighted the part I find most illuminating. I throw at least 100' further than you, and I see the exact same thing with my Relativities. I can just MASH on these things hyzer and sometimes they won't even pop up to flat. I'll still get 400' out of them, but its a low, fast 400' with no flex. As soon as I decide to get more aggressive and put anhyzer on the Relativity it dive bombs WAAAAYYYY to the right and eats ground.

The Relativity has a very narrow window of effective flight. You need to do everything just perfect or the disc won't fly to its max potential. I had a magical day a couple weeks ago when I was getting the Relativity on a great hyzerflip line. It was S curving beautifully and soaring out to about 475'. These were some of the longest throws of my life.... and I was doing it one after another.

I agree the Relativity is a little stubborn and can seem glideless. If you don't get the disc flat (too much hyzer) it will listlessly stall out and fade hard and short. The distance here isn't effortless, and the Relativity is NOT floaty like a Shryke. I've found that the best way to throw a Relativity is just SLIGHTLY hyzer. You want it to pop up to flat, but not flip all the way over. If I throw the disc flat or anny it'll turn and burn.

I guess my advice would be to keep practicing with the Relativity. I fully realize its a frustrating disc. However, when I hammer one just right it'll outfly any other driver I've ever seen. The disc's distance potential is staggering, but finding the right line to put it on to achieve said distance can be aggravating. I find that I have a much easier time throwing hyzerflip bombs with Shrykes. They always bend to the right, but hook up late in flight and come back. Often with the Relativity I won't get any late fade. It'll flip over and stay there.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is that I need to really dial in the release angle for the Relativity. I'm keeping it for sure because my first impressions of it closely match yours, so I figure in a couple months I'll probably getting way better results.

A little off topic, but how do you like the flight of the Knight?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is that I need to really dial in the release angle for the Relativity. I'm keeping it for sure because my first impressions of it closely match yours, so I figure in a couple months I'll probably getting way better results.

A little off topic, but how do you like the flight of the Knight?

I only have 1 Knight. Gold line, 174g. I like that disc a lot. Fairly similar to the Relativity in flight, but way easier to get turn on it. I can throw the Knight hyzer hard and know it'll pop up and flex out. Not a disc I'd ever use when accuracy is a must, but the Knight will cover a lot of ground effectively.

I can get the Knight out further than a Nuke SS or Ballista consistently. Underrated driver for sure. I'd say the Knight is absolutely worth a look.

My Knight is something like 14, 5, -3, 2. The high speed turn is almost a bit much. This thing will definitely drift right and not come back at times. When you hyzerflip it just right its as long as anything on the market.

Last edited:
i just got a 173 relativity proton..expected to be katana like...for me ..it turns thrn comes back...doesnt look that long but has been consistently longer than katana..and jas been finishing straight not to the right like my katanas..i feel it will break in even better..i think i like ballista pro better...but this longer

i just got a 173 relativity proton..expected to be katana like...for me ..it turns thrn comes back...doesnt look that long but has been consistently longer than katana..and jas been finishing straight not to the right like my katanas..i feel it will break in even better..i think i like ballista pro better...but this longer

For me the Relativity isn't longer than a Katana. They fly fairly similarly. Longer than a Ballista Pro for sure.