• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Remember when discs used to be cheap?

I'm used-bin obsessed. I was always big into thrift shopping and used discs scratch that itch so nicely. Nothing like snagging a Hokum Crave for $8. Like I said in a previous reply I am also a big fan of the $10 x-outs from Lone Star.

Discraft has a number of misprint disc sub $10 available at the moment. It not that hard to find cheap disc in the past year if your willing to look.

Misprints

I remember when DX plastics were $6! Now it's like $9-11 depending on where you buy it and champ/star type stuff is $15-20. Some of these special run things are $25! It's a bit ridiculous IMO.
My first Disc in 1989 cost me exactly $6. A Stingray. Lost it that summer. According to the CPI inflation calculator that translates to $15.16 today.

Ummm...Holy expletive, money has lost around (Edit: too sleep deprived to figure this out!) of its value since I've had my driver's license! Our Disc selection, however, is multitudes better.

Discgolfcenter stills sells DX for under $10 and Pro is $12.99. Plus additional discounts for returning shoppers (I am in the 8% tier).

Wow... you were getting hosed back then. I don't think I ever saw a disc cost double digits until they started selling dyed KC pro discs in the late 90's.
Yeah, I was paying $6 for DX in the late 90s, when that was all we saw. I remember when Millenium discs showed up for $10, with a claim to be more durable, and telling people, "no one is ever going to pay $10 for a disc." One more reason no one's ever called me a prophet.

Cumulative inflation since I started in the mid-90s has just about doubled, so today's prices aren't terribly out of whack. Fortunately for me, my game has decayed to where the "latest and greatest" won't make much difference, and my taste for cool color patterns or stamps is quite limited, so the costs don't bother me very much.

Yeah, I was paying $6 for DX in the late 90s, when that was all we saw. I remember when Millenium discs showed up for $10, with a claim to be more durable, and telling people, "no one is ever going to pay $10 for a disc." One more reason no one's ever called me a prophet.
Funny- I remember telling Dave Henrickson who started Revolution Bags that "no one is ever going to pay $100 for a disc golf bag" so I am a failed prophet as well. $6.99 was the going price for plastic in Richmond when I started in the mid-90's.

half-baked-dime-bag.png
It's crazy how much decriminalization has lowered the cost. 300 an ounce in 2005 and you had to know a guy, fast forward to now and you walk into a business, are treated like a customer and pay 50 bucks. Adjust that for inflation and wow.

Funny- I remember telling Dave Henrickson who started Revolution Bags that "no one is ever going to pay $100 for a disc golf bag"
I used to buy Lightning Bags wholesale so my bags were sub $15 even deluxe stuff. My dad wanted to buy me a "fancy" bag for a gift. I reluctantly said I'd like a Revolution Bag, cringing at the price and buying retail, but Dad insisted.

So about a week after he ordered the bag, prices went from $65 to over $100. I felt a little better about it at $65.

dg bags.jpg
These days I use a Zuca cart cause at my age, I need a chair close by. You guessed it I got my Zuca wholesale!

Discs were cheap(er) back then, but we also couldn't find any retail! PiAS had one rack that was always mostly empty, sometimes some used. Once Sarah Stanhope (Cunningham) got sponsored we suddenly had access to about twice as many Innova discs, and sometimes an actual new mold.
Nowadays I always buy used as a preference, new if I have reward points or other discounts. F2s are awesome btw.

Kinda opposite of Chuck, but still recognizing disc wear matters.

Before tennis shoes were so fashionable, I'd buy 3 or 4 identical pair at a time, entering them into rotation from back-up pair to good pair to everyday wear to yard work shoes to trash.

Same with discs. I have various levels of use. Often 2 or more same models my bag at a time.

I liked getting same run, same color stuff. An insider once enlightened me of the lack of QC with mixing plastics as well as the known variation between certain colors.

Here is a live example. I once had more and some I pulled from my bag for photo. Note the date on the discs.

neo o.jpg

My impulse buying of discs has slowed down considerably. I used to not give a lot of thought to picking up a few discs a month, but starting to see discs $25-$30 each makes me think way more about whether I want something or not. That and knowing I really tend to fall back on the same molds no matter what I try out.

I have a bunch of Fractal A2's left over from a tournament a couple weeks ago if those interest you at all.
Quite possibly, how did those come out? Pretty stable?

Latest posts