• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Remembering your first time

How many first times did you have Casey?

Just the one in 2003 where the Course only using Cobra uncles midrange the older Winnona Course being last of the now putter discs as longest discs courses opened in 1986 was too short for a first time player off the tee. I did however respond to other post, that had second times on them. I then told of the first time I bought my own discs and my dads first time not of the Discs my Uncle gave me with the Stingray I lost during my second time in water and the Rubber Putter I eventually gave to my mom as her approach disc because it is like the domed Elite X Comet she has only in putter/approach disc form.

Timmons Park - new co-worker asked me and 2 other guys to come to play after work in 2005-ish. I was throwing his DX Raven...poorly. I was def falling hard for DG tho, was unemployed a few months later and played 3-4 rounds a day then. One of them still plays pretty regularly with me, his game kinda goes up and down - still throws a few noob hyzers per round. No idea what happened to the other guy but I haven't seen him on the Pro Tour yet ;)

I was hooked from the start. I was pretty tired after the round though because it was really hot that day and I probably wasn't in that great of shape at the time. I have steadily improved over the years I have been playing and have made a lot of good friends because of the game.

I started working at my current job in July 2000. One of the engineers here played, and asked about 4 of us if we wanted to play at lunch. I thought disc golf sounded kind of stupid, but went anyways.

The 5 of us played every lunch time after that for a few years.

I threw my first disc about 6 years ago. I had been on a heavy duty walking regimen for about 12 years for weight control and to fend off high blood pressure, diabetes, and other getting older conditions. Often my walking would take me past the local disc golf course and I thought I would give it a go. Went to Walmart and bought my first disc, an Innova Skeeter and headed out to the course. I was hooked from the get go. My son gave me an old disc bag that he had and I instantly started buying discs.:eek: Playing disc golf was sooo much more fun than just walking for exercise. Disc golf has become my passion, I have two practice baskets and way more discs than I need, and I try to play every day that weather permits.:clap:

For some reason, I can't recall the exact first time I really played. I have a very odd story with disc golf, where I started playing on 3 different occasions.

I first discovered it on a very bad TV show. The only good thing was seeing people trying disc golf and being very bad at it.

Then, I bought a frisbee to try. It was 80 grams and wasn't flying farther than 100ft. And somehow, I still enjoyed it for a good 2 weeks.

Two years later, I got to play disc golf again at a summer camp. At the end, I received a beadless Aviar, which would become my first disc. I lost it one day later.

Another 2 years later, I finally bought golf discs to the local disc golf club. And finally started playing with proper discs. I still can't remember anything from my first few trainings. My first memory comes from my first tournament. I posted a +23 first round. After that, I wanted to prove everyone I could get better and shot +9 in the very next round.

At this time, I knew disc golf was made for me.

As for the oldest disc golf I can visualize, it has to be my first ace, I can't visualize anything before that.

I remember the park and the disc, Sioux Passage and a circle stamp dx Viper. I'm sure I played poorly as I still do. The important part was it was fun and still is.

Latest posts