• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH 300 Ft Max

Is this footwork any better? I tried to focus on getting my weight targetward onto the front foot.

The back foot got turned backwards more and am still tipping.

That's a little better but I think your posture through the lower body is backwards in the x-step. This is something that frustrated me so much I called it the "shirt illusion" at one point. Wow, we really have had a lot of similar issues.

Look at Eagle from a butt view. Notice how his posture is more like moving "downhill" and his pelvis is sloped more toward the ground while X-stepping. I think yours is the opposite and pointing more towards the sky. That's causing some of your tipping and preventing you from getting a comfortable X-step accelerating into the plant properly.

1693316573645.png

I found this easiest to work on and fix in Hershyzer by "presetting the booty" (watch the first minute or two of this video) like Eagle out of the move, then taking it into Door Frame Drill and now Load the Bow to work on the backswing. When you get it, it is going to feel quicker and way easier than what you are doing there. The increase in plant impact will also surprise you even if you stay pretty "horizontal." Watch how much impact Eagle gets landing in the plant from the butt view above just because he's moving in better posture. Sometimes watching players move on uneven ground makes some of the mechanics more obvious.

Before someone says "wait a minute!":
Since I wrote that long "shirt illusion" post I linked above, I do want to point out that sometimes people really do have different posture than that during the X-step, but I don't think it's the easiest way to learn the X-step. The people who can pull it off usually already had mastered a lot of other transition moves without spoiling their balance or transition into the plant (e.g., Simon). You definitely don't want your pelvis and shoulder to be at odds with each other the way yours currently are. And you definitely don't want to block your hip action and acceleration into the plant.

Sure, I can try keeping my lead hip more downward. I'm not allegiant to any piece of my form, so I'll attempt to change anything that needs improvement.

It makes sense to me that I should tip less if I do that. I will say that in the hershyzer video they seem to be angling the hip the same way as I am currently; I assume because they're trying to utilize different forces on the arm.

To avoid any confusion, "Presetting the booty" is about the posture including the pelvis in the setup like the baseball guy says at 0:06. This is what I meant. Show us a butt view as needed :)

1693320748618.png

I had a foot injury that kept me out for a bit.
Was able to play a round Monday and felt great. Shot my best round yet at one of my local courses; the same score was rated a 1030 in a recent tournament, so I feel good about it!

I am continuing to make sure my weight is moving towards that final plant step. My right hip is dipping down a little more than before.
My distance is back up a little bit, and I was able to get out to the 425' mark with this throw:

I am going to work for a couple of sessions, hopefully this week, just on getting my left elbow tucked in. I thought it might slowly improve as I worked on more important things, but I need to go ahead and spend the dedicated time on it.

I had a foot injury that kept me out for a bit.
Was able to play a round Monday and felt great. Shot my best round yet at one of my local courses; the same score was rated a 1030 in a recent tournament, so I feel good about it!

I am continuing to make sure my weight is moving towards that final plant step. My right hip is dipping down a little more than before.
My distance is back up a little bit, and I was able to get out to the 425' mark with this throw:

I am going to work for a couple of sessions, hopefully this week, just on getting my left elbow tucked in. I thought it might slowly improve as I worked on more important things, but I need to go ahead and spend the dedicated time on it.

Yeah, would probably tuck rear elbow for now.

Some things are looking a bit better to me. I'm wondering what it would take to get your rear foot toes pointed a bit more toward the camera and come off more quickly from your rear foot instep.

I had the most success working on this in door frame drills at first as he discusses here:

You'll probably feel a lot more leverage off that rear leg, it surprised me at first.

Still trying to get that tip out of your move and get you moving quicker and more completely off the rear side.

Yeah, I think there's some change to be made to how I do my cross step that could fix a a few of my major problems. Shortening it, keeping the leg straighter, or something.
It lands pretty backwards and also in a way that I have to raise my body to transition over it which is probably putting me into the spot where I have to tip to plant. And it feels like I have to reach back early to keep balance.

Last edited:
I've made some progress with the off arm!

I focused on the form improvement, but I have an addiction to trying to throw far. The change was feeling natural, so I threw some distance at the end. I had a nice 432' one!

Anyway, how is the off arm looking? On film, it seems like it's potentially too vertical to get my elbow tucked in?

Last edited:
Yeah, your rear arm is over cooked. You are too eager to rotate back and forth, need more patience. Your head turns about 180 degrees during the throw while most pros only turn the head about 90 degrees total - 45 back and forth. Try to swing your shoulder back more underneath your chin(or with chin) instead of turning your chin back away from your shoulder in backswing. Or try not to let your head turn further back than your rear foot angle.

Yeah, your rear arm is over cooked. You are too eager to rotate back and forth, need more patience. Your head turns about 180 degrees during the throw while most pros only turn the head about 90 degrees total - 45 back and forth. Try to swing your shoulder back more underneath your chin(or with chin) instead of turning your chin back away from your shoulder in backswing. Or try not to let your head turn further back than your rear foot angle.
So the off arm is overcooked because I'm rotating around too far during the backswing? Does the motion look ok otherwise?
I know I need to actually start wrapping up and cementing form changes before I move to other areas for once.

Still working on the off-arm mostly. Trying to get the head and upper body rotation under control a bit more.
I had quite a few travel 430'+ and one get out to 444', which is a new personal record for me (exciting!).

- This was one of the 430s

I also had this fun little blooper

I'm finding that the way to keep my off-arm tucked without throwing me off balance is to actually roll that shoulder forward/inwards and straighten the arm. I've never heard anyone else say they do that, but it seems to working?
I think getting my off arm tighter is helping me transfer to the front leg faster, so that's great.
The head movement is slightly more contained to the disc path. Not very much progress there yet.

You will never see a pro take a practice swing like you are doing. Need to swing your shoulder forward bent over the front hip.

Screen Shot 2023-09-25 at 1.58.34 PM.png

Out of curiosity, I would love to get @sidewinder22 opinion on your throwing arm. Elbow hinge, "pocket" and point of release (shoulders being slightly open target wise).

You throw further than I do at the moment, so it's not a dig at you, merely just if I'm wrong in my observations.

To me it looks like your over rotate the shoulders too soon and doesn't let your arm unravel to the "sweet spot". Not that you should hyper extend, but I do believe that last bit of the "chain" could get you further.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926-165350.png
    Screenshot_20230926-165350.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230915-192525.png
    Screenshot_20230915-192525.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230926-165602.png
    Screenshot_20230926-165602.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
The shoulder is more ER vs IR in the power pocket, but I think it's more of a compensation to try and get the nose down due to leaning back and the shoulder getting jacked up behind the hip.
Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 2.24.05 AM.png

I'm not sure I understand the focus on the practice swing when there's access to throwing footage. I tend to do all sorts of crazy body movements when I'm doing practice swings during a form change.
To me, the tilt looks quite similar to Simon's in Kennet's pictures. My shoulders look surprisingly close to me also. I think he's getting a whole lot more resistance out of the plant leg though.

From my perspective, your shoulders is too ahead of your arm.

English isn't my first language, so I apologize if this doesn't makes sense.

Your arm is still at a 90 degree angle (ish), head forward and you unravel from there and I would assume missing out on quite some power.

Simons arm is already getting the "out" with tons of leverage in that last hinge.

If you were to get the right hinge of the elbow in that shot, you would yeet it right.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I see with my noob eyes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927-155517.png
    Screenshot_20230927-155517.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230926-165350.png
    Screenshot_20230926-165350.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
From my perspective, your shoulders is too ahead of your arm.

English isn't my first language, so I apologize if this doesn't makes sense.

Your arm is still at a 90 degree angle (ish), head forward and you unravel from there and I would assume missing out on quite some power.

Simons arm is already getting the "out" with tons of leverage in that last hinge.

If you were to get the right hinge of the elbow in that shot, you would yeet it right.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I see with my noob eyes.
No doubt! Simon is doing it much better than I. I'm sure it is one of many levers that Simon is using more effectively.
My arms are long for my height, but they do not fully straighten at the elbow for some reason. I have never been capable of it. It could be compensation for that, or I could just need to improve in that area.

Have you ever done hammer drills? Back when I worked on my form, I had the exact same issue as you, mine was much worse though. Hammer drills really taught me a thing a too and when that occasionally translated into my disc throw, I hit 450 without breaking a sweet. (Adding more speed and mass were a problem for the timing though).

Have you ever done hammer drills? Back when I worked on my form, I had the exact same issue as you, mine was much worse though. Hammer drills really taught me a thing a too and when that occasionally translated into my disc throw, I hit 450 without breaking a sweet. (Adding more speed and mass were a problem for the timing though).
I have done some with a small rubber mallet. I would like to try with a heavier hammer, but I don't really want to purchase one.
I should try again with my off arm work to see what comes of it.

I have done some with a small rubber mallet. I would like to try with a heavier hammer, but I don't really want to purchase one.
I should try again with my off arm work to see what comes of it.
You don't need a heavier hammer.