• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Running a basket fundraiser event. Ideas to raise money.

Jwalker92

Bogey Member
Running a fundraiser event later this month to raise money for our local club to purchase new baskets. Hoping for some more ideas to make it fun, inviting and for people to open their wallets.

Currently I have it set as a $20 entry fee to play. I'm going to take discs from my collection and do a CTP on every hole. I'm going to do one or two $5 50/50 CTP holes so someone can win some cash with a good shot. I'm going to do a $5 50/50 ace hole on the shortest hole on the course, if no one hits it, all the money goes to the club. I'm letting people purchase mulligans (not to be used on the 50/50 holes, or the ace hole), $2 for 1, $5 for 3 and $10 for 7.

I have it set up as UDisc's ratings based divisions. I'm going to get silly tropheys from good will for division winners, and maybe a $10 gift card to Rasin' Canes (out of my pocket.)

Hoping to get 50 people to show up at least. No one is going to come play a 2 round event if they can't win cash, but they might come play a one round event for fun. I've had success running one round events in my area before. Someone might be interested in running a raffle, but that requires a lot more prizes.

Events I've played did either $5 or $10(dubs) per mulligan and usually capped it at 2 mulligans.

Also, organize some sort of youth engagement situation with some putting games prior with maybe free discs, then go around to Lion's etc. and do a presentation and make the ask. Might just get it all in one or two takes.

One idea I seen done a few times is to look for sponsors for each of the baskets. Sponsor get name and logo on the basket with a purchase of one. It can be a local business, a club member or a group of club members.

So if you ace but it's not the designated hole, you get nothing?

Is this for Peninsula or what course?

I think the $20 entry is a good number. Most participants in my experience don't mind pitching in if the return is good, like new baskets, or concrete tees. Also, ask if members have anything they can donate, and have a raffle. What really bugs me though is players that sign up for a fund-raiser hoping to win a pay-out. IMO there should be NO payout, but sadly you may not get as many participants.

One formula I've seen work is a 50/50 payout -- that is, half the entry goes to payouts (on a regular scale), other half goes to the fundraiser. So players get some payout, which works for those who are so motivated, and the fundraiser raises money from each entrant.

Buy used discs cheaply in big lots/get discs donated. Auction off each disc to the players signed up for the tourney (maybe set a limit of 10-15 discs per player). The players are bidding on the discs they can use during the tournament. I.e. players can only play with discs won in the auction. Similar to a white elephant auction.