• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sacrafice's Bag

Sacrafice

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 15 years started, semi-retirement for 5 years or so then back to full time this year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: left-handed
Throwing Style: LHBH, limited FH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Putter: 210/230'; Mid: Unknown; Blizzard Boss/Icon Cannon: 330/360'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: Softball
Additional Information: My max distance through out my career was around 275/280 including early this year until I got new (not 10+ year old) plastic and have been progressively getting farther and farther. My best drives improve on different holes nearly every week. I have nearly added 100' to my max drives in the past 2-3 months since I started back playing nearly every day. I do have 3 aces. 1998, 2000 & 2011.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I believe I have enough variety for most strait forward shots, but I am still a novice at what I could have to get better results or anything to do with specialty shots like FH or OH.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Basically looking for suggestions on other discs I could look into that could work better than what I am already using for certain out comes or for discs that would work for the specialty shots that I want to begin practicing. I am going to start going out with just my mids and a putter for a few rounds. I never carried a mid until this year and am having a hard time controlling them leading to just using my putter for up shots with good success, but would like a more out of my approach game.
Immediate and long-term goals: I was always very accurate, but had no distance. Now my distance has killed some of my accuracy, but it's still not a huge issue. Immediate would have to be short and long range approach shots. Long-term would be to continue my growth with my distance. In my area 400' would be pretty much all I need to aim for while continuing to hone my accuracy with the distance I am gaining.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/use): (All my discs are brand new with 2-3 months of use only except 1 putter)
137g Blizzard (bubble dome) Champion Boss - My longest and go-to driver. Can throw 360 with an avg of 330. I can throw it with an anhyzer, straight or with a hyzer. It is super versatile for me and need to get me a couple backups.
175g Icon Cannon - My headwind driver. I can throw this just as far as my Blizzard Boss in a headwind on a anhyzer, but in calm or tail wind I can pretty much only get a hyzer route out of it due to such high speed rating.
175g Champion Teebird-L - My 2nd go-to driver. I can get 310-320 out of it recently. I can throw it anyway I want like my Blizzard Boss. It's primary use though is for tight can't have any fade type of drive or for fairways with low ceilings.
175g Star Boss - I use this for 260-320' open, hyzer line or 180 turn right drives off of the skip. It's basically used when my Blizzard Boss is too strong or the fairway is open enough for me to skip it up to the basket eliminating the need to throw my Teebird. It's my skipper disc.
175g Star Firebird - My little deuce magnet. I throw it on open or right turn drives that's only 220-260'. I am deadly accurate with it as I am soooo used to throwing Rams and I haven't been able to pick up any of the new release Rams yet. I can throw it farther, but I prefer to grab my Boss on the longer holes due to more control on the skip. The Firebird don't skip the same way every time and more often than not skips and flips a little bit sometimes with a little roll at the end. The Firebird and the Star Boss is also the only discs I will throw FH.
166g 2x Champion Leopard - I use this for slight left turning fairways. For me it hooks a slight anyhyzer, then holds that line for a long time before dropping to the ground with very little fade.
167g Champion Mamba - I use this for hard left turning fairways. Same as the Leopard, but with a harder turn and nice glide with no fade.
169g DX Eagle - I am not sure is it's an X or L. I loved my old DX Eagles so I got a new one. It's super flippy for me which is not normal for my old Eagles. I can control it and use it for fairways where I need a super anhyzer line or a hard left turn with a big fade at the end, but those are few and far between around here. I was getting about 300' out of it, but haven't thrown it in a few weeks and is the first to leave the bag for something I need.

As in my description I am progressively getting more distance with all my drivers. I also have a 159g R-Pro Boss, but have no use for it in my bag that I can find.

Mids:
175 DX Gator - Found it in the water with no name. At first I loved it and have used it for 150-200' hyzer line drives or approach with good results, but anything more than that and it becomes uncontrollable for me which very well is how I am throwing it.
180g Star Roc - I use it for 150-200' anhyzer drive or approach shots. I have little control with it as well.

Like I mentioned I never used mid range discs before. Back in the day I used a Eagle, Viper, Ram & Stingray for everything and was pretty accurate on any shot with those from anywhere on the fairway or tee box. I have pretty much stopped using these and just use my putter for anything inside 200' with good results. It's the main reason why from reading here going out and just throwing these for a few rounds to get better form with my releases will do nothing, but help me in the long run.

Putters:
175g Proton Ion - My main putter and everything inside 200' disc. Only thing I am not happy with about this disc is short tight anhyzer or hyzer shots around a tree or bush. I turn the disc and it still flies pretty strait no matter how much turn I put on it either way. Everything else it's near money for me.
172g Omega Super Soft (1.17) - I use this for those tight anyhyzer or hyzer line shots that my Ion can't do. It actually turns and comes out of the anhyzer quicker for those tight shots.

I am super happy with my putters. I was terrible outside of 20' until I got my Ion even though I do have a 200' ace with one of my other Omegas. I have gotten to be pretty good within 35-40 feet with anything inside 20' a pretty much can't miss shot. Unheard of for me in the past.

Other Info:
Right now I got a small bag that only holds 13 discs, but my next purchase is going to be a competition bag so I have a lot of room to grow and pick up new discs that I can use for specialty shots and that can give me different results than what I already have. I am open to any company. I don't mind supporting any company with my money, but Innova is obviously the big dog in my area. I am more than aware that a lot of my discs are high speed and that for sure the Cannon is over my ability, but in a headwind it's a awesome flyer. The Boss flies so great for me so I feel the speed of that disc is fine. I just think my Star Boss is a little too heavy with that speed for me, but I love how I can get 40-60' of a right turn skip off of it for strait fairways with a turn at the end. both BH & FH.

I used to throw all 175g weight type discs and only now started buying my discs in lighter weights to see how well I can throw them. Before I couldn't throw them very well, but now I am controlling the ones I do have pretty well. I can control all of my discs the way I want or believe that they are meant to be thrown except the mids.

I think that is all the background/info I can muster up so I hope I can get some good suggestions on what I can look into to help me get different results on different types of shots that I am missing.

Thanks,
Bryan (Sacrafice)

maybe try a lighter tl in star plastic for drivers.

have you thrown a buzz for midrange? or a dx roc over star?

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/use):
137g Blizzard (bubble dome) Champion Boss
175g Icon Cannon
175g Star Boss
167g Champion Mamba
---------------------------------
175g Star Firebird
175g Champion Teebird-L
166g 2x Champion Leopard
169g DX Eagle

Mids:
175 DX Gator
180g Star Roc

Putters:
175g Proton Ion
172g Omega Super Soft (1.17)
I drew a line in you drivers - above the line are faster, difficult to control stuff. Instead, try something a little slower (like an OLF, Orc, PD, even a Champion Teebird). You can get 95%...or more... of the distance with a TON more control. Leave that fast stuff at home for a while :)

For your mids, I'd start from scratch - you might like to try a Z buzzz, Z Comet or KC roc

Just my opinions/ideas...

maybe try a lighter tl in star plastic for drivers.

have you thrown a buzz for midrange? or a dx roc over star?

The lighter TL sounds promising. Thinking about it I probably could get more out of one than the one I got. Haven't thrown a Buzzz. Will have to try one for sure.

For your mids, I'd start from scratch - you might like to try a Z buzzz, Z Comet or KC roc

Just my opinions/ideas...

Completely agree on starting from scratch with my mids. Looks like I am going to have to look into both of these suggestions.

Check out a Tournament Warship for stable mid duties. I'm still amazed by the glide.

Completely agree on starting from scratch with my mids. Looks like I am going to have to look into both of these suggestions.

Try the Z Wasp, Buzzz and Comet. Overstable, straight and understable. Great midrange combo, and all in production and easily replacable with not too much production differences afaik.

Try the Z Wasp, Buzzz and Comet. Overstable, straight and understable. Great midrange combo, and all in production and easily replacable with not too much production differences afaik.

Thanks. I was looking on the site at these discs and seen the Wasp also. It does look like a good combination. Do these discs have the same wide putter like rims or are they a little more slimmer towards a driver? If they are a bit slimmer than say the Roc I would be in heaven I think.

Update on my distance. Played a round today and put a drive 50' dead right of basket on what is supposed to be 414' and over drove by a few feet on what is supposed to be 393' on back-to-back drives with my Blizzard Boss. That crushed what I am pretty certain was my max distance prior. There is a 420' hole with a 10-15' wide tree line 50-60' in front of it and was just starting to hit the edge last week with my drives thinking that is somewhere around 360ish.

Like I mentioned I never used mid range discs before. Back in the day I used a Eagle, Viper, Ram & Stingray for everything and was pretty accurate on any shot with those from anywhere on the fairway or tee box. I have pretty much stopped using these and just use my putter for anything inside 200' with good results. It's the main reason why from reading here going out and just throwing these for a few rounds to get better form with my releases will do nothing, but help me in the long run.

Hey, if you liked the Stingray, you can just pick up some new ones. I'd get a DX Stingray and a Super Stingray and hit up some shorter courses where you don't really need drivers and just throw the shizz out of them. Just work from there.

As far as your drivers, obviously you've got a lot of molds going on but it's up to you to figure out which are actually carrying their weight and which are crutches. Just offhand, you could probably drop the TL for a maxweight Champ Leopard just fine.

Here's the easiest way to "sex" Eagles:

both-eagles.jpg

Hey, if you liked the Stingray, you can just pick up some new ones. I'd get a DX Stingray and a Super Stingray and hit up some shorter courses where you don't really need drivers and just throw the shizz out of them. Just work from there.

As far as your drivers, obviously you've got a lot of molds going on but it's up to you to figure out which are actually carrying their weight and which are crutches. Just offhand, you could probably drop the TL for a maxweight Champ Leopard just fine.

Here's the easiest way to "sex" Eagles:

both-eagles.jpg

I got an Eagle-X.

I do like Stingrays and got my 1st ace with one, but I never have used them for distance. I used them for right hand hyzer line type holes as I am left handed. That's what I use my Mamba for now. I was carrying both for a while, but I never used the Stingray so I gave it away. I wouldn't ever toss the Mamba for distance unless it's a hard right turn dogleg then strait. Same with the Leopard. It's for slight right turn doglegs.

You do have a point with the heavier Leopard to replace my TL to limit my molds and is an option I can definitely ponder as in my mind it wouldn't turn as much as the one I have and there is a hole here and there that I have stepped up to and thrown both on different rounds to see what results I get, but most often it's the TL that wins. It's really the only 2 discs I have thought about maybe trying 1 or the other.

Right now the Eagle is the most worthless driver in my bag. Not that I hate it, but I would rather throw something else. All the other ones seem to have a good purpose. Wind is a factor at my home course being so open that the Cannon get's used enough just for the head wind shots otherwise in wooded or shorter courses it could be replaced. Really though I just go back to my basics of just the TL, Leopard, Firebird & Mamba in wooded courses basically replacing what I used to only throw.

I have so many molds now because I was just trying different stuff and studying the number charts to make sure I try to find something for a particular hole on my home course that might have a more desired effect while trying not to overlap too much. Also when I beat up my old DX plastic back in the day it just got retired and I never seen anyone use different wear points of the same mold for different results before so I was going off of what I always have known. It's worked out pretty good so far only making 1 bad purchase other than the Roc which I paid only 5 bucks for, but my lack of knowledge for any discs other than is in my bag lead me to posting it to get other opinions that I can ponder giving me a leg up and limit stupid purchases and get some ideas on possibly better discs than what I have for specialty shots (FH & OH) since I have room to get a few more discs for when I get my new bag.

Everyone's comments have made me think about everything discussed. Glad I posted to see others point of views. That Warship disc after looking it up amazes me and I can't fathom finding any kind of hole I could use a mid range that floats forever lol. That's crazy to me.

I got an Eagle-X.

I do like Stingrays and got my 1st ace with one, but I never have used them for distance. I used them for right hand hyzer line type holes as I am left handed. That's what I use my Mamba for now. I was carrying both for a while, but I never used the Stingray so I gave it away. I wouldn't ever toss the Mamba for distance unless it's a hard right turn dogleg then strait. Same with the Leopard. It's for slight right turn doglegs.

Well, Stingrays are considered midranges nowadays so I thought it would be a good transition disc from drivers to mids. The Super Stingray is a more (over)stable version of the Stingray so it would theoretically make a pretty good control mid. Since you mentioned the Shark, I'd also consider the Qms (Aurora MS in Quantum plastic) b/c it's a shark top and stingray bottom. It's pretty much the original "beadless Roc." In this same vein of thought, a MD2, Warship, and Axis are all worth looking into.

You definitely sound like a candidate for some mid and putter only rounds at your local pitch and putt.

The Super Stingray is more stable? I didn't realize that. Interesting. Is the Super Stingray still considered a decent/good roller disc like it's counterpart?

Yes I am a great canidate for mids only rounds. I want to get some of the options mentioned here before I go all out on that though. Our short course is tore up currently so we only have the long open course option right now, still can get good work out of it.

I was going to buy either a Comet or Super Stingray yesterday, but didn't have enough to purchase one this week, but before league someone let me throw a 176 new Z Buzzz and I loved it from the 1st throw. It was on a 290 hole that I throw my TL on and parked it 1st throw with very little effort. Much less effort that with my TL anyway. I was also throwing at a 285' hole with my Roc and was getting 270' with it on a hyzer flip strait pretty well, but wasn't getting any closer.

Needless to say next week I should be picking me up a Buzzz for sure, but It just might take some holes away from my TL which is fine.

Latest posts