• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sanding sharp disc edges: Good Idea or Big No-No?

ok, now i'm interested. what illegal aftermarket tricks are there to add to or remove from your disc to make it go farther, fly straighter or home-in to the basket? can you hollow out a disc and make it into a heavy aerobie ? hahaha

if someone can throw a paper plate better than i can throw a disc... she/he deserves to win!

the purpose is for competitive consistency.

Discs must me made using very strict guidelines on dimensions and shape. Allowing someone to alter their disc might create an illegal disc.

In every sport there are those that try to find a competitive edge. I am quite sure, if this rule were different, we'd find threads on this forum that discuss how <someone> has figured out how to make a disc better via modifying.

I have a feeling that if someone at home tried to sand down a disc to get a competitive edge that it would fail miserably and make the disc virtually unusable. They have entire teams of scientists and engineers doing countless tests on these discs to make them do what they do.

I use the heat method to get the edges smooth. A lighter to heat the plastic and my thumb to push it back into shape. This works for moderate gashes on the rim.

Excessive sanding could be a safety factor. The PDGA doesn't want people putting a super sharp edge on a heavy discs.

DKG Disc Sports out of Memphis has just released their prototype discs over the weekend by hosting a skills challenge and including the discs in their player's packs. They are still up for PDGA approval, but they have rounded edges. I think they fit the natural curve of the fingers better, but I have yet to play a round with them. Though I did win a disc in the Ring of Fire contest.

I'll post a review on them after I play a few rounds with them, and I'll post pics as soon as I get them on flickr.

green scotch brite pad works very well

for anything more substantial i use a pair of scissors or nail clippers instead of trying to sand off a piece sticking out

DKG Disc Sports out of Memphis has just released their prototype discs over the weekend by hosting a skills challenge and including the discs in their player's packs. They are still up for PDGA approval, but they have rounded edges. I think they fit the natural curve of the fingers better, but I have yet to play a round with them. Though I did win a disc in the Ring of Fire contest.

I'll post a review on them after I play a few rounds with them, and I'll post pics as soon as I get them on flickr.

There aren't any pics of the discs on the DKG site, only a brief mention that says to look on the disc and equipment page, but that just has those fancy looking baskets.

Light sanding OK.

At one point, you could get "Factored" discs that were sanded down by the DGA. Anyone remember those? Factored Whippet, Factored Stingray (Hi Tec)... Those were done in enough runs to make them available to the masses. And, I think that is the difference. Want a sanded down version of a disc, then produce x amount of them to meet the PDGA specs.

Latest posts