• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Save the Nebula! (AKA 2008 Ace Race Disc)

You ever tried the small diam mrv?
Nah, it was already OOP by the time I got serious into the game. I've seen them but never thrown them.
Dave, what are you throwing now in place of nebs?
Pain and Axis (and Fuse). Although, if I went really minimalist I could go Neb and Fuse in a pinch. If I picked up the Neb again I'd probably experiment with a Panther or Skeeter for schnitzengiggles.

I picked up a Neb to be a smaller diameter Buzzz. Maybe slightly more overstable but I wouldn't call it a Buzzz OS.

And yes it is PDGA approved. Woot.

like i said i have only ever seen one and it was sold before i could even comment on it. my nebs came out of my bag for like a week and that was only cause i lost the one i had. so now i have four in case but still want a blue one. and i dont know why maybe its a confidence thing but i hit way more chains with the neb than other mids. wont leave my bag again.

I don't see the Neb being as overstable as others claim. With descent power it's purely straight and with extra torque it flips in its high speed phase and eventually comes back in its low speed phase.

The reason I throw it over other Discraft is its small diameter.

imgres

this is the only blue one i have ever seen

This guy obviously knows a quality disc when he sees one. The nebula is a stable/overstable mid that gets no respect, even from its manufacturer. If you know what you are doing(which I do, all the time), its as stable/overstable as you need, even in a strong headwind. On a side note, my friend and I spoke to a higher up Discraft rep at Am Worlds this year, and made him promise us he will get it released soon. Fact. You are welcome.
Brother Joshua has breathed hope into our world. Could this be true? Oh interwebz and your rumors, you get me every time.

You ever tried the small diam mrv?

OH yeah, found this awesome thread! I am going to say in my experience the MRV is less stable than the nebula, but they do fly quite similar. MRV will hold pretty straight where the nebula fades out at the end.

* Keep in mind both of these are pretty seasoned, so your results may vary.

Are the elite z ones very difficult to still find. I was hoping to get a couple via trade so far no luck but soon I shall f7nd them! :)

Are the elite z ones very difficult to still find. I was hoping to get a couple via trade so far no luck but soon I shall f7nd them! :)

I trolled the MP for a month or two waiting for them to turn up but they rarely pop up. I finally just bought one from Ebay and then another at a Play it Again.

Does anyone still throw these because I think that my club has at least 2 left and Marshall Street has tye dyes in stock still

I just want to personally thank Paul McBeth for solidifying his status as GOAT by saving the Nebula. He put a bead on it and changed the name to the Malta but otherwise thank you Paul!

The Maltese Nebula flies good and straight once you start breaking it in.

I just want to personally thank Paul McBeth for solidifying his status as GOAT by saving the Nebula. He put a bead on it and changed the name to the Malta but otherwise thank you Paul!

Good he saved another mold from going oop forever it seems. That is really the only flaw of Discraft is that the company is when a mold is stopped in production, it is stopped for good unless some big force is getting the mold back into production or a plastic made for a mold again. I get some molds going oop due in part to demand or the mold is not great but the XL in all but the Pro D. then make a Pro D XL only available for the beginner package? That makes no sense for a mold that was popular by players who did not want to have to find a Teebird that had the right dome and wing shape for the mold to fly the way a Teebird is supposed to.

If it has a bead is it really the same disc?

Does the Malta lose HSS or LSS first or about equal?

Sure:thmbdown:

Just like when Discraft removed the bead from the wasp to create the buzzz. Same disc, right? Wrong. We're bored and make stuff up but don't worry, everything will be back to normal by Easter.:\:\:mad::thmbdown:

Last edited:

The flight is pretty similar, bead or no bead. Except with forehands, my hands don't really fuss too much over beads so it's not really noticeable to me. It's definitely losing its LSS first and starting to wear in very straight. This Malta vs my Nebulae I'd say the difference in flight is that the Nebula has a bit more natural "S" in them whereas the Malta is more resistant to turn. Very marginal difference though. I really hope all Maltas beat in like this b/c what I love most about the Nebula is that once you beat it to death it becomes the straightest flying Buzzz forever. I think the Malta is gonna be the same, just take a little longer to get there.

The flight is pretty similar, bead or no bead. Except with forehands, my hands don't really fuss too much over beads so it's not really noticeable to me. It's definitely losing its LSS first and starting to wear in very straight. This Malta vs my Nebulae I'd say the difference in flight is that the Nebula has a bit more natural "S" in them whereas the Malta is more resistant to turn. Very marginal difference though. I really hope all Maltas beat in like this b/c what I love most about the Nebula is that once you beat it to death it becomes the straightest flying Buzzz forever. I think the Malta is gonna be the same, just take a little longer to get there.

I'm assuming you aren't throwing a TF Malta, since I don't think mine will ever beat in, and even if it does, it would just be a less glidey Wasp at that point. What type of courses are you playing to beat yours in (not just for beating in Maltas, but for beating in other ESP stuff, like Zeuses and Comets).

Latest posts