• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SD86 2019 and Beyond

Your core bag is looking good!

I am not familiar with the Mirage and the Tomb. But with Polecat, Mirage, Tomb and Harp that is alot of throwing putters. There has got to be some sort of overlap.

I am sad to see the Green Hornet go.

I'd try to make a determination between the Champ Banshee and the Jen Allen TeeBird as well between the Shryke and the Pharaoh. You could put the others in your "full" bag. It's nice to have a trusted set of discs that you can swap in and out as necessary.

Thanks!

Yes, it's a lot of approach discs, but I make use of all of them. The Mirage is a straight-to-understable approach disc that goes very straight when I throw powered down, and turns over when I put some juice on it. I rarely throw forehand, so the Mirage comes in handy when I need a turnover or need to anhyzer around an obstacle.

The Tomb is an Infinite Discs mold, and is a shallow disc similar to the Stud and Colt. Thrown with power, it's a very straight disc with a bit of fade, and powered down it has a reliable fade at the end. It's possible that the Harp might one day take over all the Tomb shots, but for now I like having the Tomb there.

And the Polecat is for shots within 125 ft. or so to the basket, with the intention of drawing metal if not actually putting it in the basket. I really like the Polecat, but I don't like throwing it full-power hard (probably because of the semi-fan grip I use on it, which I don't use on any other disc). When I committed to using the Polecat, my scores improved, so it stays in the bag.

I like the Hornet a lot, but I wasn't getting the results I needed on powered-down shots, and I was surprised to see the Hornet go straighter than I expected on powered-up shots. So I did what I had to do and put the Harp in the bag. The Zone was a bit too brickish for me, and the Harp was getting good results and getting more distance than I expected. The Hornet is in the Full Bag, and may one day make it back to the Core Bag, but I'll need a lot more range time with it to get it dialed in better.

Right now the Jen Allen Teebird is doing very well. I had an uphill shot in some gusty wind today and it faded right in towards the basket. When I got to the top of the hill, the disc was literally two feet from the basket. If and when the J.A. Teebird starts wearing in, I might have to put the Banshee back in for those very OS shots, and it'll be a tough decision to make; I like them both.

The Shryke and Pharaoh are virtually the same in feel and in performance, so I can swap them out and only the colors would show me which was which.

So that's what's working on my home course, which is a mixture of open and wooded holes. And I have slimmed it down, so that's good. :thmbup:

Last edited:
One slight change: the Stud and the Tomb are very similar, almost interchangeable. The Tomb has a bit more finishing fade, especially if thrown at less than full power. With the Harp in my bag, the Stud has been a better compliment to it. So I'm going with the Harp/Stud duo in my Core Bag. Should I take the Harp out for any reason (like putting the Hornet back in due to certain course conditions), I'll put the Tomb back in.

The DX Plan

Putting my DX plan into effect. These are discs for use where the DG gods might demand sacrifice, such as the lake along the left side of one hole on my home course. These are interchangeable, but one of them is always in the bag for throws near 'danger'.

I got another Archangel, a 150g Beast, and a Sidewinder. Really liked the Beast when I was throwing at the range. I'll give it a shot in the bag.

Small (not small) change: The Harp is out of the bag; the Zone is in the bag.

I actually seasoned in a disc(!). My BT Hard Zone was just not fading like I wanted it to, and like it used to. It didn't fade a lot when I threw it hard, but it was not really finishing with the fade I wanted. So I started bagging my Tournament Plastic Harp, but it also did not give me as much finishing fade as I was looking for.

Enter the Zone (pun fully intended). I had gotten an orange ESP Zone at DiscStalker before they closed up, and I freely admit I bought it because of the color: Not a light Tennessee Volunteers orange or a red-orange Florida Gators orange, more like a Clemson pure orange. Very bright, easy to see. So I put it in the bag, threw it harder than I threw the Harp (if I threw the Harp hard, it really straightened out; the Zone is more brickish, so I threw it harder to compensate), and it was doing very well getting around trees and fading nicely.

So I bought a Titanium Zone. Maaa-aaannnnn, what an awesome disc! Feels great in the hand, both the plastic and the disc shape. And it flies just great. I threw one shot about 200 ft. around a tree between me and the basket, and it just went straight right, then faded over and parked itself 6 ft from the basket.

So I'm going with the Zone in the overstable approach slot.

DX plan: tried taking out the Mirage and putting in a DX Cheetah and DX Katana. Cheetah and Katana are good discs, but it didn't work out well for what I was trying to do, so I took 'em back out and reinserted the Mirage.

Small (not small) change: The Harp is out of the bag; the Zone is in the bag.

DX plan: tried taking out the Mirage and putting in a DX Cheetah and DX Katana. Cheetah and Katana are good discs, but it didn't work out well for what I was trying to do, so I took 'em back out and reinserted the Mirage.

The Zone is money, not surprised you are migrating to it from the Harp. Have you ever tried replacing the Mirage shots with a Polecat? Seems like that would be a smooth transition, even at my elevation (~6300 feet), the Polecat covers my US shots from 70-200' pretty easily. Plus, you seem to be a big fan of the Polecat, this would give you an excuse to throw it even more:thmbup:.

The Zone is money, not surprised you are migrating to it from the Harp. Have you ever tried replacing the Mirage shots with a Polecat? Seems like that would be a smooth transition, even at my elevation (~6300 feet), the Polecat covers my US shots from 70-200' pretty easily. Plus, you seem to be a big fan of the Polecat, this would give you an excuse to throw it even more:thmbup:.

I cannot help but completely agree with that last sentence. :)

I use the Polecat for approaches only. I throw the Polecat with a half-fan grip (ring and bird fingers stretched out like a fan grip, index and pinky fingers curled like a power grip), and I'm throwing it for accuracy as opposed to achieving distance. So I can 'grip it and rip it' a lot farther than I actually throw it, but I just don't.

If there is one disc that I could take out of my current bag to substitute for another, it would be the Mirage. I don't throw it all that often; I'm usually throwing the Stud in that range. But I'll use the Mirage when I need an anny/turnover shot, and also when I need a straight shot through a relatively tight tunnel or low ceiling that will have a good bit of glide and get some distance. There's a hole on my home course where the Mirage is 'just right'. So the Mirage has some usefulness for me.

Update: I took the Mirage out of the bag, and missed it. There are a few places on the home course where that disc was really needed. I put it back in the bag, and made some nice recovery shots that saved par, as well as piping it on the tunnel shot that it performs really well on.

Also, the Patrol is out of the bag. Yeah, I know, it's the archer not the arrow, but I'm tried of this touchy, inconsistent arrow. I worked with it for a long time in 90+ degree heat (100+ with the humidity factor), and I realized I'm wasting time trying to figure it out; that arrow does not belong in this archer's bag, so sorry.

Don't know what I'm going to replace it with, maybe the Prodigy M4. I've been reading about the Sol, as well.

That understable slow disc is the toughest slot to fill, imo. It is by definition a touchy shot. Fwiw, I have found better success by throwing a disc with some stability with an anhyzer release. A seasoned roc is perfect for this, imo. I don't think the internet is ready for SD cycling rocs though!! :eek:

The other disc I've used for years for that line is the Glide. I throw flat to hyzer and it displays a nice smooth turn and comes back a touch.

Whichever direction you go, you may have to decide where the smart error is. I tend to be more accepting of "not giving it enough" than turning and burning, ymmv.

That understable slow disc is the toughest slot to fill, imo. It is by definition a touchy shot. Fwiw, I have found better success by throwing a disc with some stability with an anhyzer release. A seasoned roc is perfect for this, imo. I don't think the internet is ready for SD cycling rocs though!! :eek:

Whichever direction you go, you may have to decide where the smart error is. I tend to be more accepting of "not giving it enough" than turning and burning, ymmv.

Heh. Well, I prefer Roc3s to Rocs (*ducking*) :p, and I prefer premium plastics that don't season in very quickly, if at all. So cycling, or even just seasoning in one disc for that slot, isn't in the cards for me. And I get in enough trouble as it is; I'd hate to be accused of breaking the Internet. :D

I do agree the understable slow disc spot is the toughest to fill and is the last spot in my bag that I'm not roc-solid (pun intended) on. I may just throw the Stud and my relatively stable Pink Panther on an anny releases more, as you've suggested.

Also, the Patrol is out of the bag. Yeah, I know, it's the archer not the arrow, but I'm tried of this touchy, inconsistent arrow. I worked with it for a long time in 90+ degree heat (100+ with the humidity factor), and I realized I'm wasting time trying to figure it out; that arrow does not belong in this archer's bag, so sorry.

Don't know what I'm going to replace it with, maybe the Prodigy M4. I've been reading about the Sol, as well.

When things don't click sometimes the best thing to do is move on.

I also have the same approach as Jowie, throwing something stable on anhyzer. If not a nicely seasoned Roc, then how about a Comet? Other than that, have you tried a Meteor? I've seen some great slow turning throws with a Z Glo Meteor.

Maybe a Comet?
When things don't click sometimes the best thing to do is move on.

I also have the same approach as Jowie, throwing something stable on anhyzer. If not a nicely seasoned Roc, then how about a Comet? Other than that, have you tried a Meteor? I've seen some great slow turning throws with a Z Glo Meteor.

Some good ideas, there. Like I need any more discs, but I was thinking of Jowie's concept, and getting a Prodigy M4 in 300 or 350 plastic and letting it season in over time. Biggest problems with that is that availability of Prodigy M4s in those plastics in the weights I want (and in the case of 350 plastic, availability at all).

This may be totally unnecessary, but just in case it should be helpful, you've just got to make sure to commit to that anhyzer line. After so many years of walking on eggshells with super flippy discs, it was hard for me at first to trust throwing an anhyzer with full commitment, but that's what it takes, ime. You might not need such encouragement, but to this day I still have to consciously remind myself to sell out for the line while lining up the shot.

Disregard if it doesn't apply to you!

This may be totally unnecessary, but just in case it should be helpful, you've just got to make sure to commit to that anhyzer line. After so many years of walking on eggshells with super flippy discs, it was hard for me at first to trust throwing an anhyzer with full commitment, but that's what it takes, ime. You might not need such encouragement, but to this day I still have to consciously remind myself to sell out for the line while lining up the shot.

Disregard if it doesn't apply to you!

Thanks for the advice. It's good for me, and good for anyone reading this. :thmbup:

I agree about committing to the line, especially on the shot I need just the right disc for. It is a very tight tunnel of trees that drift downhill and to the right, with heavy trees and foliage on both sides. A tree was perfectly planted to be in the way of the best high anhyzer line, and the curve of the tunnel makes a forehand shot difficult (it might hyzer or skip too hard). So it requires really good touch on the shot, and definitely a committment to hit the gap right and then turn/drift just right.

We'll see how the M4 seasons in for it. :popcorn:

This goes slightly to your previous post but how would you describe Titanium plastic from Discraft? Being a McBeth-fan I like to see him being on fire after having to get adjusted for a new set of discs during this season.

I will probably gravitate towards ESP plastic since it felt good and similar to a Star. I might invest in getting a Buzzz and I don't know if I should get ESP or Z- even, but ir the titanium brings something great I might look forwards to it.

Have good throws :)

This goes slightly to your previous post but how would you describe Titanium plastic from Discraft? Being a McBeth-fan I like to see him being on fire after having to get adjusted for a new set of discs during this season.

I will probably gravitate towards ESP plastic since it felt good and similar to a Star. I might invest in getting a Buzzz and I don't know if I should get ESP or Z- even, but ir the titanium brings something great I might look forwards to it.

Have good throws :)

I personally really love Titanium plastic. if Discraft had made discs in brightly colored Titanium (or any color in any reasonable quantity) when I began getting into DG, I might be throwing more Discraft.

I was comparing the Wysocki Compass, McBeth Roc3, and Doss Ti Buzzz. Put the Buzzz into the bag for its turn, and it didn't come out for a couple of years(!). Great, great disc in Titanium, the Buzzz is.

My first Zone was in ESP, which is good plastic. Then I got a Ti Zone and that was <3 at first throw.

Titanium feels great, isn't too slick, and it's durable. It's like Trilogy's Fuzion/GoldLine/Tourney plastic but a little bit grippier and just a little bit better feeling.

The only negative is that one rarely if ever saw Ti discs in a nice bright color; all to often it was the green or brown of the ground, making it hard to find. :thmbdown: But the more recent blue Ti discs are pretty good. :thmbup:

Last edited:
Regarding flippy, short to midrange options - I understand the need for slow US options to feel comfortable/well rounded. Have you thinking of your short understable game as shared between two different, complementary slow US discs? Specifically, as of late I have been bagging a max weight TP Tursas alongside a Star Mirage - the mirage handles higher angle shots and stays right, where the Tursas would get stable and fall out of the sky with that nose angle. The Tursas on the other hand has the speed, glide, and just the right stability to stay in the air on low, fast turnover shots in the woods where the mirage can't get there, and something a little faster like an underworld or sting might get me in more trouble, or requires more power.

On the other hand, sometimes a beat comet or... a really beat Roc(?) might be able to cover more shots. There are precious few discs that are forgiving enough to make me feel comfortable throwing them on powered turnover line drives while also relying on them for touch lofty annys in the woods knowing they won't fade out. Note that I would not consider the Tursas as versatile enough to fill this dual role - it's one of those speed-sensitive US mids. But when you throw it how it likes to be thrown, good stuff.

Regarding flippy, short to midrange options - I understand the need for slow US options to feel comfortable/well rounded. Have you thinking of your short understable game as shared between two different, complementary slow US discs? Specifically, as of late I have been bagging a max weight TP Tursas alongside a Star Mirage - the mirage handles higher angle shots and stays right, where the Tursas would get stable and fall out of the sky with that nose angle. The Tursas on the other hand has the speed, glide, and just the right stability to stay in the air on low, fast turnover shots in the woods where the mirage can't get there, and something a little faster like an underworld or sting might get me in more trouble, or requires more power.

On the other hand, sometimes a beat comet or... a really beat Roc(?) might be able to cover more shots. There are precious few discs that are forgiving enough to make me feel comfortable throwing them on powered turnover line drives while also relying on them for touch lofty annys in the woods knowing they won't fade out. Note that I would not consider the Tursas as versatile enough to fill this dual role - it's one of those speed-sensitive US mids. But when you throw it how it likes to be thrown, good stuff.

Thanks for the ideas. I already bag the Mirage. I haven't tried a Tursas, but your description of its flight sounds very much like the Patrol.

Since the recent posts and taking the Patrol out of my bag, I've been experimenting with anny/turnover shots with the Stud and the Panther. I pured the Panther shot on that downhill hole, but it actually went long of the basket (which the sign says is 218 ft. from the tee), and the Stud either falls a little short or fades back left more than I'd like to see. Maybe the Mirage can get there if I can hit the line with it...

The 300S plastic M4 I ordered has not arrived yet (waiting over a week :mad:), but might be that 'just right' disc for this shot or will wear into it. And I get to have fun trying it out. :)

Last edited:
Update: the 300 plastic M4 is doing very well in that relatively understable mid slot. I've been hitting the line well with it, and it flies consistently. It sometimes goes a bit straight, and therefore left of the target, but in the overall it's a LOT better than the Patrol was doing for me, and with some seasoning-in it might be 'just right'. So Prodigy Discs is represented, and the M4 is in the core bag.

Update: the 300 plastic M4 is doing very well in that relatively understable mid slot. I've been hitting the line well with it, and it flies consistently. It sometimes goes a bit straight, and therefore left of the target, but in the overall it's a LOT better than the Patrol was doing for me, and with some seasoning-in it might be 'just right'. So Prodigy Discs is represented, and the M4 is in the core bag.

Is your 300 M4 domey or flat? I've tried a couple different ones and they all have been domey.

Latest posts