• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selling discs at the course

No one sells discs in Clayton, GA. I stop by the course most afternoons from 4:30 till 5:00. I sell about $50-100 worth each time I stop.

I occasionally pop a squat for an hour or two at the end of a tourney, while people wait for the last cards to come in. I'd bring dyes to sell, and just toss a bunch of other stuff out to sell too.

Some of my best finds were from locals selling at the course. I hardly have time to play so I haven't sold any at the course but keep some extras on hand for new players.

Be careful about the local laws. Some cities make it easy to do this sort of things, and others will hit you with an expensive fine if you don't get the proper permit. If no one is vending at your local courses, there might be a reason for that. There's one city around here that has lax laws, and that course typically has vendors. They'll even have folks hanging out on the 10th tee selling cold drinks out of a cooler. None of the other courses in the other cities have vendors except the local clubs that have an arrangement with the city.

This is not legal advice. I am not your attorney.

Why not just set up a swap night at leagues. Maybe once a month have a night everyone knows about to buy/sell/trade.

Be careful about the local laws. Some cities make it easy to do this sort of things, and others will hit you with an expensive fine if you don't get the proper permit. If no one is vending at your local courses, there might be a reason for that. There's one city around here that has lax laws, and that course typically has vendors. They'll even have folks hanging out on the 10th tee selling cold drinks out of a cooler. None of the other courses in the other cities have vendors except the local clubs that have an arrangement with the city.

This is not legal advice. I am not your attorney.

Selling a few discs you no longer need and setting up a disc selling business are two different things. If you are going to sell in an ongoing business (competing with local, taxpaying brick and mortar businesses) then by all means make sure you're not getting into an expensive situation.

I would doubt that even the most "Barney Fife" of policemen would cite you for selling a dozen used discs.

I have seen guys selling discs out of there trunk and on the course at River Bends here in MI countless times. It's always gone on as long as I can remember. I bought a star TL years ago I still use. In the past there was a huge disc golf scene at River Bends. The responsibility of maintence has been shifted and the park has gone downhill. But there were guys that plucked discs out of the river all day long and sold them. You would see them every time you went and begin to know them on a first name basis. Disc golf has always been like that here, I don't know whats creepy about it. I would always see guys with there trunks popped and people buying discs. Trading and selling discs is part of the culture.

A couple of times a year we (club) arrange so that everyone can bring unvanted plastic and trade or sell.

Selling a few discs you no longer need and setting up a disc selling business are two different things. If you are going to sell in an ongoing business (competing with local, taxpaying brick and mortar businesses) then by all means make sure you're not getting into an expensive situation.

I would doubt that even the most "Barney Fife" of policemen would cite you for selling a dozen used discs.

Around here they will. Most won't, but some take it very seriously. The director of parks and rec has made it very clear that you can not profit in any way from using the parks. Even when I ran an Ace Race here I had to pledge any TD profits to my local DG club or he wouldn't let me use the course for the event.

So, not saying it will happen, but jen is still right. It's something you should be mindful of.

Latest posts