• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should top of the basket count?

Should a disc that come to rest on top of the basket count as in?

• Total voters
I guess you would have to have the 50% rule and that would just open a whole new can of worms. oh well. I guess I'm just gonna believe whatever the PDGA tells me too...

I think all baskets should be electronic with a large flashing light on top and when you hit any part of the target from the pole to the top, it should cause the light to flash and a loud siren to start sounding.

I think all baskets should be electronic with a large flashing light on top and when you hit any part of the target from the pole to the top, it should cause the light to flash and a loud siren to start sounding.

I don't think I could live without the clanging of chains! :eek:

I'd love to say the disc must be 100% within the vertical plane of the edge of the bottom basket (so within the chains not touching basket would still count) but then you have the issue of a dsic standing on its edge in the basket with a little bit hanging out of the top...if only I had a picture of what I mean.

I'd love to say the disc must be 100% within the vertical plane of the edge of the bottom basket (so within the chains not touching basket would still count) but then you have the issue of a dsic standing on its edge in the basket with a little bit hanging out of the top...if only I had a picture of what I mean.

not only that, but long shots that get wedged in the inside of the basket, which I'm sure is one of the reasons that the rule is still in place. that's why I think the 50% rule would have to be the only other alternative, but it may get too complicated.

I can't believe we are still debating this.

I know. I feel like this is disc golf's version of the BCS vs. Playoffs for college football, and the AL vs NL in the DH debate in baseball. it will never be resolved and whatever the decision is will pss someone off.:rolleyes:

Man the number of people that voted in this poll is pretty ridiculous. I believe that it should not count as the disc need to actually be in some part of the basket even if that means wedged.

If they made it legal the PDGA would just make the poleholes have some crazy bubble top so nothing could land up there anyway.

\/\/

Earlewood is in Columbia, SC.

The baskets were originally from a lighted course at Myrtle Beach in the 1980s, hence the domed top. The course was destroyed by Hurricane Hugo, and baskets relocated to a new course at Earlewood in 1991 or 1992. It's a fun and pretty highly regarded short course. The baskets are slightly narrower than most, and of course have the unique dome top.

This was my original home course and the one I still play the most---odd, since I own a private course, but I work near Earlewood---so I've rarely seen DROTs and have much less passion for the issue than many other folks.

I love the idea of domed baskets.
But...
It's still the stupidest rule in disc golf.

Damned those Canadians! Always gotta take things too far. Misguided at that. I mean, is that a golf BALL texture on that? :doh:

As far as the OP, I think since DG for some reason has not made a precise regulation to what baskets should be, at least not to the extent that leaves no room for interpretation, it has to go IN the basket.

Otherwise, I would like to count it myself.

I mean, why count one BS shot and not another?
I think the reason is about the ease of defining "on top" vs "wedged".
It's simple to prove if a disc landed on top. Drawing a line on a disc wedged in the basket would prove much MUCH more difficult. What if the disc made it in the basket but is so soft it was partially wedged?(i.e. blowfly) Did the disc get wedged from the inside or outside? Could you always prove it? Much more slippery, danielsan. Wedged counts, or you'd have stupid arguments about "partially" wedged discs.

I agree it sucks to have a great shot land on top, but in basketball if a ball gets stuck on the rim and doesn't "go through" the rim, it doesn't count. It's the same thing for disc golf. The intention of the sport is to score by having the disc in the basket or supported by the chains. "On top" doesn't qualify for either of those.

Also tops of baskets aren't standardized. That would cause even more problems. Remember the rules were written for tournament play, and you have to take everything to extremes because some rules lawyer is going to try and be a weasel and bend the rules to whatever meaning suits them best.

"There are rules, dosent anybody respect the rules man??, this determines who enters the next round robin dude!!"

I apologize in advance if I am repeating something already mentioned. I briefly skimmed this rather lenghty post.

The dome is a good idea, removes the chance. Also, the basket could be designed so that a wedge shot isn't possible, by making the cage mesh tighter. Maybe they have already. That way the rules could remain as they are and the possibilities have been removed via improved basket design. Older style baskets are protected by current rules, could possibly be retrofitted, and new baskets meet the new standards.

BTW, that Canadian basket looks bulletproof.

Now where to put the hole number...