• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should Westside Giant be a signature disc?

Should Westside Giant be a signature disc?

• Total voters
If you wanna sell discs in a market many times the size of europe's this makes gallons of sense. And I would go even farther than that, and guess that Westside sells more discs in the USA than europe already.

Plus, snagging a 1000+ rated "free agent" may have been more about timing than anything geographic.

Yea, you're probably right. It just seems like if you're going to sell out your homeland, you'd want a bigger name than Barsby in exchange. He'd be hands down the least decorated player to get a signature disc that I can think of.

Yea, you're probably right. It just seems like if you're going to sell out your homeland, you'd want a bigger name than Barsby in exchange. He'd be hands down the least decorated player to get a signature disc that I can think of.

Who is selling out their homeland?
Are you sure they don't sponsor any Finns or Europeans already?
To me , this is a huge fish to land for an outfit with a couple years and a handful of molds under their belt. And most of the heavier hitters are locked up in contracts.
And more power to them and Barsby....

As far as least decorated player to get a sig disc: The Yeti ringin' any bells?

Barsby is 28th on earth right now @ 1023 rating...I am not seeing how this is Westside "settling" for him.

This is interesting; he plays some local tournaments around here and plays at my local course off and on. He really is a humble person and a fun person to be around.

He is also very talented with his interviews and web commentary, they are witty and clever. If you have not seen his stuff check out youtube.com.

Cheers - Koffee

the only person to say anything about a sig disc is the OP

Uh...yeah. This thread is for talking about the possibility of the Giant being a signature disc. Did you get lost?

Who is selling out their homeland?
Are you sure they don't sponsor any Finns or Europeans already?
To me , this is a huge fish to land for an outfit with a couple years and a handful of molds under their belt. And most of the heavier hitters are locked up in contracts.

As far as least decorated player to get a sig disc: The Yeti ringin' any bells?

There are a handful of Euros higher on the list than Barsby. Granted, a lot of them are tied up with Innova and Latitude, but still. Finland has the highest ratio of 1000 rated players per capita of any state or country on Earth and reports are that disc golf is exploding in Europe. Giving your first signature disc to a California guy who doesn't really have any big wins and doesn't tour in Europe seems like a poor choice for a small European company with a limited number of molds.

Obviously Barsby is a good player and a great personality, so he's a good pick up if he actually uses westside discs in competition on the PDGA tour, but a signed disc?

Yeti had his name thrown onto a mold that already has two names attached to it so, meh. Innova can do whatever they want. At least they could write 3x putting champ on that disc. What does Barsby get, "6th place on the American NT series"?

I'm getting so tired of people talking about American players selling out for using latitude or westside. Its not selling out by using a product that you prefer of in your opinion is superior. If so I'm a sellout with my latitude bag full of rivers, kings, and swords.

I'm getting so tired of people talking about American players selling out for using latitude or westside. Its not selling out by using a product that you prefer of in your opinion is superior. If so I'm a sellout with my latitude bag full of rivers, kings, and swords.

Reading comprehension not so good, huh? The implication was Westside would be selling out Finland for signing an American, not that Barsby is selling out America by using their discs. You can throw whatever the hell you want.

I like Barsby and all, but, I don't think anyone except Gregg's family and friends are going to buy a disc just b/c his signature is on it.

Yep. Looking back at it I read it wrong. So what you are saying is that discmania is selling out by putting their logo on Will and some others.

Yep. Looking back at it I read it wrong. So what you are saying is that discmania is selling out by putting their logo on Will and some others.

My understanding is Innova already manufactures all of Discmania's discs, and most of them are just slightly tweaked old Innova molds. It's not exactly selling out when they make all your products already. Westside is a completely different situation. Their "parent company" or w/e is Lat64 and is all Euro all the time.

Westside is a completely different situation. Their "parent company" or w/e is Lat64 and is all Euro all the time.

Dude; it's completely ok to not blather about sh#t you don't know.

So far all you have done is make assumptions that you just barf out onto this thread as truth:
Westside selling out Finland/Europe
Westside should/could have gotten a higher stature player than Barsby in the USA
Lat is all Euro all the time

These statements are all coming outta yer a$$ and have no basis in fact.

I am sure we will hear all about the how and why with Barsby, but I don't understand why you are second guessing Westside about any of it. Maybe they should run their corporate decision making by tweenagers in Minnesota?

Tomas (L64) has said that they are interested in signing USA players to L64's team. I don't think it is easy for them to find and evaluate foreign talent before Innova or Discraft finds and signs them. And assuming that they are "all euro" or are not interested in the USA market and players is pure idiocy.

Excerpts from interviews with Tomas:
April 2011
L64L: Are there any plans to sponsor or support any USA players to help promote your products stateside?
TOMAS -Yes!

Dec 2011
L64L: Any news on possible USA L64 Team members?
TOMAS: Yes we need a few really good players in the states to spread our name and products. But nothing is settled yet. You can't imagine how many requests we get each month/year

Dude; blah blah blah

So, that's your way of saying they should give Barsby a signature on the Giant?

Please check out the quote:

Obviously Barsby is a good player and a great personality, so he's a good pick up if he actually uses westside discs in competition on the PDGA tour, but a signed disc?

look at the thread title, and chill the **** out.

Most of the BS you slung on here has nothing to do with a sig disc...it is BS either way, 'sig disc context' or not.
And FTR: It doesn't matter to me if Barsby gets a sig disc.

He'd be hands down the least decorated player to get a signature disc that I can think of.

Uh...yeah. This thread is for talking about the possibility of the Giant being a signature disc. Did you get lost?

the way you said the first part it sounded, to me, like you thought the sig disc was a done deal

and this thread is JUST a speculation thread

so no I didn't get lost but thanks for asking

Westside disc names and stamps are all items from the Finnish national epic Kalevala.

It would just be weird to see anyone's signature next to that beer-bellied King.