• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

sidearm discs

I throw a lot of sidearm. Currently, my left turning sidearm discs would be: Champ Leopard 166g, Pro Teebird 171g, and Champ Roadrunner 169g. All of these discs fly straight from a standstill but with enough spank will go left. Forget the run-up and snap it like your throwing a basball from 3rd to 1st.

Probably use a beat up version of whatever you are normally throwing. Why not throw backhand?

Probably use a beat up version of whatever you are normally throwing. Why not throw backhand?

I know backhand usually makes more sense, but a lot of people learn forehand and love to use it.

Also I like to use a more stable disc, so I can really snap my forehands for a nice S curve.

i do not forehand but i have friends that do and they can shape their lines with stalkers and leopards so i'd recommend them first.

having said that, it takes skill and practice to shape a line. if you want a disc that will turn left for you no matter how you release it, just get a beat up XL.

I'm a sidearm player in need of a left turning disc everything in my bag goes right any suggestions? I'm looking at a roadrunner or possibly a monarch.

I've recently added a Striker to my bag as a longer range slow left turning Forehand disc - Thrown flat and with some snap it holds a slow left turn for quite a ways.

i use a beat in star TL or a beat up old school Champion beast for a left turning disc... Sometimes i use a Buzz for a slow fader as well....

Dude just try a few out. The sidewinder, avenger SS, leopard, roadrunner, and yes even the monarch will all turn over with a proper fh shot, you just have to decide which one you like. So my answer is whatever understable disc you like to throw and have the most control over.

it depends on what exactly you mean by "turn left".

I throw with both methods almost equally and i throw my FH with a lot of power and snap. For me i need a stable (to overstable) disc at all times. I use a worn in destroyer, overpower my teebird and/or rhyno when i need a turnover.

One thing most FH throwers dont understand (for seemingly a year or so) - if thrown correctly, all discs will fly exactly like the chart and how BH throwers get their discs to fly. A destroyer will turnover, a sidewinder will flip, and an xcal wont flip, etc.

The biggest key i've found with FH is finding the correct weight for your own arm, and it's usually completely different than what you need as a BH disc as the power and snap are usually "too much" from day 1.

btw -
just so we all understand...
due to the gravitational dynamics of the discs in flight... all discs will fade (end) with the same meathook in the same direction.
Right Hand Back Hand discs WILL ALWAYS end fading left.
Right Hand Fore Hand discs WILL ALWAYS end fading right.
The only way to reverse this is via turnover and thats not "turning" (like the meathook fade") thats more of getting the disc to glide or take a different path rather than "fly straigtht"; and in the end it still fades back even if you turn it over and make it "seem" to turn the corner.

Last edited:
I'm a RHFH player and my left turning discs are: 172 champ viking, 175 champ valk, 175 really beat star wraith, and a 175 pro worlds star katana. In strong headwinds I use my really beat 175 star xcal. The viking, valk, wraith and katana can't handle the wind.

get a champion roadrunner, monarch, or sidewinder would be good. Also if you get lighter discs they will turn a little more left for you.