• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simon Lizotte - Shouldn't HE be the best?

You can be Paul. You can train insane amounts. Put in the work.

You cant be Simon, unless you have innate talent.

Simon with Pauls work ethic and determination, would be 1070 rated easy.

Funny story AJ Carey and Feldberg arguing about this last year at the USDGC.
AJ - Anyone can be the best
Feldberg - Some people simply start higher on the food chain and some people have limitations.

"The 2019 usdgc was quite the adventure. By far the hottest week of the year. I didn't feel like the heat was effecting me at all but looking back I was probably lying to myself about that. I had a really solid start to the tournament making my first lead card ever on this course! I was wondering what my problems had been the last years because it felt pretty easy and effortless to shoot a few under par. The next few days I got a friendly reminder that I was mistaken. There's nothing easy about this course. It's such a mixture of emotions going from feeling good and playing well to debating if you chose the right job. I've become really good at just smiling it off and laughing at my mistakes and poorly executed shots but I still want to punch myself in the face quite often." - Simon Lizotte via Facebook

Perhaps there is more inner drive than we realize with Simon.

At least he resisted his inner drive to punch something, unlike his teammate.

Sounds more like frustration than drive.

John Daly's 30 for 30, Hit it Hard, is a pretty solid watch. At least I thought it was anyways. Talk about a player with all the ability in the world, but lacked the mental game. If he could of stayed right between the ears, he could have really given Tiger a run for his money during Tiger's peak years.

"The 2019 usdgc was quite the adventure. By far the hottest week of the year. I didn't feel like the heat was effecting me at all but looking back I was probably lying to myself about that. I had a really solid start to the tournament making my first lead card ever on this course! I was wondering what my problems had been the last years because it felt pretty easy and effortless to shoot a few under par. The next few days I got a friendly reminder that I was mistaken. There's nothing easy about this course. It's such a mixture of emotions going from feeling good and playing well to debating if you chose the right job. I've become really good at just smiling it off and laughing at my mistakes and poorly executed shots but I still want to punch myself in the face quite often." - Simon Lizotte via Facebook

Perhaps there is more inner drive than we realize with Simon.

I played with him in the spring and he was really easy to talk to & ask questions so I let my fanboy run pretty wild. He is SUPER competitive even though he's about the most approachable guy ever. It's a fun combination. He is the type that would challenge you to a friendly wing eating competition at dinner, maybe put a fun wager on who can stack more ice cream scoops on a cone for dessert and then maybe go for a double-or-nothing one disc challenge in the yard afterwards just to keep it interesting... Yet somehow stays just ultra laid back and fun about it. Most super competitive people end up being tools but Simon was cool as a cucumber. We even played a glow round with beers and he said it had been "forever" since he just relaxed and drank a beer while playing so despite his aloof demeanor at times, IMHO a lack of competitiveness is the last thing holding Simon back.

Back in the day, everyone probably said Scott Stokely should have been the best.

Came here for this. I haven't seen Simon in person yet, but I did see Stokely on a few occasions and they both kind of remind me of each other in the way they behave on the course (also like Mark Grace, for any of you who are both old enough and grew up in a Chicago Cubs household like I did). Fun to be around, joking with the fans, etc.

One time during a DGLO final 9, they played a safari hole from (IIRC) Hudson Mills original #5's tee back to #3's basket. His upshot struck the roof of the temporary tent put up nearby. When Mark Ellis was asking for scores, Stokely said "Tent!" instead of his score for the hole, causing the Lizard Lawyer to give a serious, scolding look for a brief second.

On #18, he threw a surprise huge sky anny instead of the usual hyzer route, turned to the gallery and said something along the lines of, "Fooled you!" with a huge smile.

Also, a friend of mine was following Stokely's card prior to one of these final 9's and recounted this story for me. The tournament director had pulled up in his golf cart at the Monster Hole (which is over 1,000' long) and Stokely asked him, jokingly, if he could borrow it after his huge drive. The director denied this request. A moment later when the director was away from the cart, Scott jumped in and zoomed off! I'm told the director didn't say a word when he got to the cart and drove away pissed off. Everybody else was laughing, if I remember what my friend said correctly.

I also remember Ron Russell jumping onto the back of one of these golf carts at DGLO, travelling between holes holding on and standing real tall going through the crowd with a huge grin and waving to people. I think he may have even said, "Beep! Beep!"

You know who else in modern times is a cut-up like this? Brian Earhart. He was on the feature card at the CCR open where I got to watch him, McBeth, Gurthie and Frescura and he was cracking jokes all over the place and keeping it loose. A ton of fun all round long. I specifically remember him singing Achy-Breaky Heart in comedic fashion while they waited on a back-up. Another time while they were waiting on a tee, Earhart whipped his towel on Frescura's leg to shoe-off some mosquitoes (that were EVERYWHERE on this course). "I'm sorry, did that **** with you?" Frescura joked back that it might be effecting his concentration, so Brian did it like three or four more times for good measure.

Are you a medical professional now?

No but you could see it in his older Vlog post on YouTube that he acts like a person with ADHD bearly able to hold it togther they are that spastic and Random. His newer posts, most of last year and all of this year are better so I can watch those. His old ones he would be full speed and so much bouncing around one could not watch them so shaky in parts.

No but you could see it in his older Vlog post on YouTube that he acts like a person with ADHD bearly able to hold it togther they are that spastic and Random. His newer posts, most of last year and all of this year are better so I can watch those. His old ones he would be full speed and so much bouncing around one could not watch them so shaky in parts.

Or.....................he is just a young man trying to navigate his niche celebrity status.

so what would you prescribe doctor

I tried making it through that vlog and I distinctly remember him mentioning ingesting a lot of caffeine. Save the diagnosing for the pros.

Last edited:
Or.....................he is just a young man trying to navigate his niche celebrity status.

Yep. I've blocked a lot of what I did as a 19 year old, but what I remember is pretty cringeworthy. Difference is I didn't have thousands of people watching me via social media. He'll grow up.

Funny story AJ Carey and Feldberg arguing about this last year at the USDGC.
AJ - Anyone can be the best
Feldberg - Some people simply start higher on the food chain and some people have limitations.

Surely not ANYONE. But I do think Simon is/was above Paul in the innate talent tree at least at some point in history, not saying Paul didnt have it, but Simon even moreso. Simon started as a kid already. But that good amount of innate talent + workethic + drive to improve + desire to win = Paul has him looking at his taillights, long gone, bye bye.

I worry about the length of Simon's career due to injuries. His head forward posture puts him in danger of serious shoulder injuries.

I love watching Simon play and would hate to see his career cut short due to injuries. Simon doesn't have to win to add great entertainment to the card, only be good enough to get on a filmed card.

If I were a sponsor, I would want someone with his, GG or Kevin Jones attitude to represent me.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a tour with 100 Simon's than 100 McBeth's. But what we end up with is 98 people trying their best to be Paul. That's respectable. But it just makes me love Simon more.

I'd love to have him on my card. I used to play ultimate with a guy who would say, "Whatever you do, make sure it's cool." Simon throwing a disc is cool.

I don't often post to disagree with someone, but in this case I must. :) Sure I enjoy "Simon routes" and such. I also like his personality. Don't get me wrong.

But I love the accuracy and precision that McBeth plays with. I didn't look up the stats, But his scrambling is amazing, too.

Plus I think back to the 2015 Worlds, round 5, at Moraine. Check out the CCDG coverage. Hole #6 typically sees rollers and low air shots under a grove of trees. But Paul took the "Simon", errrrr, "McBeth" route over everything. It was ridiculous. So Paul definitely has that side to him. I think that some people discount apartment l's distance. That whole round was awesome to watch.

Simon

Who doesn't love Simon?

His ability to play DG is incredible. There's an ingredient missing for him in comparison to PMB, Ricky, a few others—something in focus or intensity.

This is not a criticism—no need for hate.

But I've wondered what it would be like if he could just take that half step and be on top with the 1050 boys. Getting the big wins. He's a "fun" guy.

He's already a fantastic ambassador fOR DG. He kind of straddles the line between competitive and the one that has the most fun wins.

Be cool to see the guy having the most fun be the winner.

Round 1 at USDGC was solid. Hoping to see him have a good tournament.