• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Single v Double Ring?

cbwazzy

Does it matter if baskets have 1 ring or 2+ rings connecting the chains?

I'm looking at getting a new basket for home and narrowed it down to the DD Patriot and the MVP Gravity baskets. I own a Black Hole Pro already (love it) & was going to continue with the Gravity, but noticed all the chains are connected by a single ring, while the Pro and the Patriot have two rings. Thought to ask before dropping the money and later regretting it

Personally I liked the idea of 2+ rings holding the chains separate, giving each tier different motion. I felt like the single ring would move too much as a unit, but depends on how tight the inner/outer chains are I guess. Haven't ever had the opportunity to compare the styles

I e-mailed MVP, and they said it mattered more about how the chains are arranged up-top than the 1/2 rings at the bottom.

What are your thoughts with the rings? Single, Double, doesn't matter?

[Side Note]: The DD Patriot's basket also has the metal nubs facing outwards, which some people said was a bad design and could chip discs, that lead me to the MVP Gravity but I think the chains matter more than the basket

I find the Chains, my City park had at one point before old Mach III tops were used, the Lighting DB-5 baskets had by the local club added the second set of chains on the original Basket Chain ring and only one that had the inner set way too short by 2-3 chains had the outer chain set too long and inner too tight both helping cause spit outs. the rest just used an S hook or two to connect to the basket to have second set of chain help with getting rid of cut through the single chain baskets get. So as long as the single ring for chains is sitting at the right height for the outer chains there will not be much of a problem with spit outs. If it bothers your putting cut the lowest chain or open up the S hooks to get the inner set off the single ring and use S hooks for the inner chain ring set.

First off, I have not played on a course with either of the baskets mentioned, but just looking at them, I like the deeper basket of the Patriot.

I think the Double Ring is not a problem from my post above. I would look at the price via durability and go from there. If the MVP is enough cheaper and getting S hooks or something for rings will not make the MVP out price the Dynamic Disc basket go with the MVP.

Last edited:
FWIW; I added inner chains to my DB5. I attached them to the ring holding the outer chains. If there's enough slack in the chains, they do not move as a unit.

I have the faux black hole here:
YAHEETECH Disc Golf Basket Target, 24-Chain Portable Metal Golf Goals Baskets W/Carrying Bag Practice Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SSHXYTX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-jm9Eb48CXYC2

it's a single ring and imo the worst of my baskets (the best is my chainstar lite).
With a single ring "curtain" there seems to be less entanglement and more discs fly right through the single ring variant. That said, yaheetech used narrower gauge chains as well. It's a decent basket at $75, but I definitely wouldn't pay over $90 for it. Fwiw, the chainstar lite is sturdy af

Why end it at 2 rings? Haven't seen enough tourneys or made putts on them to know definitively, but from the small sampling, they appear to be great catchers. I bought a Mach II and added the two extra tiers myself, because I find the configuration aesthetically pleasing (but prefer the bandless DGA top).
discraft_chainstar_pro.jpg

On the subject of rings. How do y'all feel about the Mach V? I think the ring the inner chains connect to is way too large in diameter. The chains dance around too much and cause some unexpected spit throughs and outs. Fixed that on the Mach VII, but they should update the V as well.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 97
On the subject of rings. How do y'all feel about the Mach V? I think the ring the inner chains connect to is way too large in diameter. The chains dance around too much and cause some unexpected spit through's and outs. Fixed that on the Mach VII, but they should update the V as well.

attachment.php

I have found of all the baskets I have used Mach V is one of the better all around catching baskets I have seen. Mach V catches both the old style loft putts and the faster modern pro putt. What the Mach V is lacking is the stop of the sideways stance putt that some players do as then cut through's are just making the chains bounce too much to stop the discs as well as the faster putt as well as the lower just above cage slow putt.

I have yet to play Mach VII but if the Lower just above cage type slower putt is bounced back out on the Mach VII then the Mach V is still only as good as a Mach VII for me. I have never been a fan of any edge catching baskets of putt type baskets like the Mach X that on other baskets 90% of the time will not make the edge putts from what I see online as I have yet to play Mach X.

The number one thing I have heard about choosing a basket for home practice is to buy whatever basket is used at the course you play the most. That way you are getting practice with the same basket you use when you play.

I have two practice baskets at my house, but they are different, as you can see if my picture loaded correctly. Both were gifts (the DISCatcher for Father's Day years ago and the other from a friend a couple of years ago when he was moving). I have two questions: What are your thoughts on having different baskets? There are dozens of courses in my area that I play regularly, so there is no basket that I play the majority of the time. The DISCatcher is single-layer 18 chains; the other basket is double-layer but only 14 chains total. That basket also has a smaller/lower catching basket. The second question: Does anyone know anything about my second basket (manufacturer, etc.)?

Attachments

• DGbaskets.jpg
    DGbaskets.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 21
I have two practice baskets at my house, but they are different, as you can see if my picture loaded correctly. Both were gifts (the DISCatcher for Father's Day years ago and the other from a friend a couple of years ago when he was moving). I have two questions: What are your thoughts on having different baskets? There are dozens of courses in my area that I play regularly, so there is no basket that I play the majority of the time. The DISCatcher is single-layer 18 chains; the other basket is double-layer but only 14 chains total. That basket also has a smaller/lower catching basket. The second question: Does anyone know anything about my second basket (manufacturer, etc.)?

If the second one non Innova is Galvanized then it is the Mach-14 that has disappeared if not then an exact replica is made by Titan.

Dga M-14?

It looks to be an M-14 or clone. :thmbup: I do not believe the M-14 came galvanized.

It looks to be an M-14 or clone. :thmbup: I do not believe the M-14 came galvanized.

Only later ones came Galvnized, when I stopped playing in 2009 was straight metal but I then came back fully to disc golf in 2015-2016 to find out the basket is Zinc coated or some kind of Galvanized compound sprayed on the basket with Zinc Chains. All I know is the basket was gone by 2017-2018 for the DGA Mach Shift, good call as the DGA Mach portable sold better anyhow. The Titan basket exact copy was straight metal but now might be using a Galvanizing compound for a layer or use the Auto type enamel spray on paint similar to what the knockoff of Innova 18 chain basket that Titan is now using.

I have an innova Discatcher Sport like the one you have shown, and I added 9 rows of inner chains and it makes an absolutely great catching basket. I also own a Dynamic Disc Marksman that I won in one of Paige Pierce's drawings. It is a smaller diameter putting practice basket, but it is a significantly heavier built basket than the Discatcher Sport, and the welds are very much better. I had no plans to purchase that size of basket, but when I won it in the drawing from Paige, it won't be going anywhere.

The Innova Discatcher Sport is a great basket, especially if you want something portable, easy to take down etc.

M-14...

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/targets/m-14

Production
Manufacturer / Distributor: Disc Golf Association
Category: Basic
Approved Date: Jun 19, 2001
Certification Number: 01-04
Basket
Height Above Ground: 77.0cm
Depth: 18.0cm
Inside Diameter: 67.0cm
Maximum Size of Gaps: 18.8cm
Radial Reps: 12
Frame: Painted Steel
Outside Diameter: 68.5
Deflection Assembly
Maximum Width: 63.5cm
Outer Chains: 7
Inner Chains: 7
Frame: Steel
Top: Steel
Maximum Size of Gaps on Top: 19.7cm
Target zone
Target Zone Height: 42.0cm
Pole
Material: Steel
Width: 3.2cm

https://www.houckdesign.com/baskets-dga.php

DGA M-14 Disc Golf Basket

The M-14 Portable Practice Disc Golf Basket weighs only 25 pounds, snaps together easily, and no bolts are necessary. This basket is easy to put together and just as easy to take apart. It features a solid steel frame, heavy duty catching chains, and DGA's patented sliding links. It also comes with a one year warranty.

The M-14 portable disc golf basket comes with instructions on how to play disc golf, as well as instructions on how to play both the Around Nine and Target games.

The M-14 was the first portable basket to fill a void for inexpensive practice Disc Pole Holes. This portable disc golf basket allows the novice, advanced, and pro players to practice and play disc golf wherever and whenever they want. :)

Latest posts