• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skipping discs

Jmdevlin

Hi,

I have recently seen people at my course almost entirely skipping their discs at the hole as a way to go at the basket without going to far past. My question is, what discs are best for skips? Do some skip further while others skip higher?

Slick, beveled edge discs skip better than others. Wide rim drivers like Bosses and Nukes usually help too. You can always skip a disc off its top too. Some call this a scooby but there's a big semantic debate about this.

yea for me overstable discs tend to skip a lot better, due to the angle of the bottom of the wing. my drones skip for days, and in the past firebirds and things along those lines have worked quite well too.

more importantly, its how the disc is thrown/lands, not necessarily the hardware being used.

I always use my star xcaliber when I want my disc to skip. Most of my star discs to skip a bit, but my xcaliber seems to be meant for it. Both my friend and I use it for this purpose. So I would give a star xcal a try.

Any disc that hits the ground at a shallow angle while fading will skip some, but like BrotherDave said, the wider rimmed drivers skip the most. Overstable discs don't always skip because if thrown too high, they hit the ground at a steep angle and tend to stop.

I throw short skip shots with my XXX, I throw it really low and make it land it in front of me about 150' or less and let it skip left.

Overstable discs don't always skip because if thrown too high, they hit the ground at a steep angle and tend to stop.

thats true, i probably could have been more specific. it really depends upon the allowed and/or intended flight paths; GENERALLY SPEAKING, less stable discs will skip from a higher apex, while more stable discs will skip better with a lower line.

I always use my star xcaliber when I want my disc to skip. Most of my star discs to skip a bit, but my xcaliber seems to be meant for it. Both my friend and I use it for this purpose. So I would give a star xcal a try.

This would work, however the star boss is a step above this for true skipping glory. I keep one in my bag specifically for sharp turning, uphill shots.

for skip shots a use predators, firebirds, and if i need a midrange skip i use a beaded gator or a drone. the predator likes to skip more forward, where as the firebird skips more sideways. a gator is my go to disc, it loves to skip forward, and usually doesnt go higher than the basket. if you want a disc that skips high and sideways get a c line PD2

i love me some skip shots, they are one of the most fun shots to throw and can be very useful. shortrange forehand skippers have got me out of a lot of trouble. i generally use nukes, firebirds and drones. its a handy shot in a game of "D-I-S-C" also.

Z Nukes work best for me. I have now 2 skip aces with the same Nuke. Flicks work, as well as Forces. I dont really have any Innova discs that skip for me but it wouldn't shock me if Firebirds or Apes skip really well.

There's also a difference between long skips and tall skips. I use wraith/destroyer for long low skips, and the more stable xXx or PD2 for tall skips that have a chance at banging chains. Also, the champ plastic get better consistency with these shots, but is not necessary.

For short range tall skips I've been using the Gator-L with great success. The lack of bead and overstability create some froggy skips.

Z Xtreme from discraft is the best skipper ever made IMO.

But to keep you from hunting one down, you can save yourself a lot of effort by picking up an Ape or a Nuke OS, or any other wide-rim disc. The Ape in particular is interesting, in that I have had some of the craziest skips with them fooling around. Thrown as an overstable utility disc, it is a very fun way to go at this.

Otherwise, make sure to throw on a low hyzer straight into the ground with plenty of force; you'll get a feel for controlling distance once you get the hang of it. It's a bit harder on long grass, usually near impossible.

Oh, and Drones are a killer disc as well for this shot.

a finger pop with a wraith will skip pretty reliably. but it also depends on what the surface you're skipping off is. If the grass get's too long, no skip. If it's rained recently, no skip. If it's been dry for week or two, watch out it's off to the races time.

Hi,

I have recently seen people at my course almost entirely skipping their discs at the hole as a way to go at the basket without going to far past. My question is, what discs are best for skips? Do some skip further while others skip higher?

I like my old ROCK for skips,,,,when in doubt. Rock it:wall: