• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skipping discs

Generaly speaking : If you want a big skip, you need to take a disc that is too fast and goes too far for the shot you wanna make. The disc still needs alot of speed and momentum when it hits the ground to skip.

So if you would normaly play a midrange on the hole, but you want to skip it, take a driver. If you usualy throw a putter on a hole, but you want to skip, use a midrange. Proper disc selection and proper landing angle ( maybe 30 degrees ) = huge skip.

Destroyers skip great, just make sure it is thrown low and doesn't come in at too sharp of a hyzer angle. I almost had a skip ace with a TeeRex, it hit just about every chain and fell on the lip of the basket and decided to fall out instead of in. I even meant to skip it!

I throw a nice beat in 167 star boss. I have had it for years and it skips very very well. Just give it some power and throw it low. Works great.

a while back i was told from a shop owner that the Groove was intentionally made for skipping. she said that the bottom of the rim will hit then it will hit the outter rim and go SKY HIGH and that has been true for me and my groove. no other disc skips like a groove. i seriously suggest you try it. even if you hate a groove for any other shot, you will be surprized on what it will do for a skip shot.

Whippets & a Max for skip - Thrown low and hard they skip crazy. 2 Skip Aces with a Whippet & 3 with a Max.

a finger pop with a wraith will skip pretty reliably. but it also depends on what the surface you're skipping off is. If the grass get's too long, no skip. If it's rained recently, no skip. If it's been dry for week or two, watch out it's off to the races time.

A finger pop?

No one else skips a surge? My group has almost made it a buzzword by giving a play by play when one of us throws a surge to skip. "Nice throw aaaannnnddd the skip!!" Comical but they do have a nice predictable skip.......

Get a gator or a whippet, I use those two to skip for days. The gator is my go to for hyper upshots and off the tee and I always play the skip when I throw it.

No one else skips a surge? My group has almost made it a buzzword by giving a play by play when one of us throws a surge to skip. "Nice throw aaaannnnddd the skip!!" Comical but they do have a nice predictable skip.......

Ill give the surge a try. I have not had my surges for very long and have not been able to play in a while. When I am able to play again I am gonna test it.

I haven't read this thread, but the only disc I've thrown with the intentions of playing the skip is an ESP Zone. It's the most skippyest disc I've ever thrown.

im going to agree that any disc coming in at a low angle is going to skip, from there the plastic/ground will determine how much. the denser the plastic and harder the ground, the more skip you will get. cheaper/softer(less durable) plastic will absorb impact and dampen the impact force, thus lowering the resultant velocity. a hard plastic at a low angle on hard/slick ground will keep going.

i threw a core gold-line really low (1-2ft) on a low canopy shot at Seatac; shredded grass up about 50ft before the basket. when i went to look for the disc it was sitting 5ft from the basket.

Latest posts