• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smartphone app for tournaments?

CaptainAnhyzer

* Ace Member *
OK here's the idea..........a player/TD interactive app that tracks all aspects of the tournament.

- The tournament front page has the pre-reg list.
As players arrive at the course, they tap a button next to their name to "check-in".
- TD already has the hole assigments laid out so once you check-in, you get a reply as to what hole you're starting on.
- Player 1 on the card gets a reply with a scorecard app for the specific course and all other player on the card get a reply with any special rules for the tournament(OB/2 meter/etc.).
- TD has the ability to notify all players with key info during the day(2 minute warning, start, 2nd round start time, etc).
- Payouts could also be posted.
- No worries about miscalculating your score.
- Handing in your card would be electronic and only be finalized once all players on the card tap a button next to their score.

Now all i need is a app geek to create it for me...... :doh:

OK here's the idea..........a player/TD interactive app that tracks all aspects of the tournament.

- The tournament front page has the pre-reg list.
As players arrive at the course, they tap a button next to their name to "check-in".
- TD already has the hole assigments laid out so once you check-in, you get a reply as to what hole you're starting on.
- Player 1 on the card gets a reply with a scorecard app for the specific course and all other player on the card get a reply with any special rules for the tournament(OB/2 meter/etc.).
- TD has the ability to notify all players with key info during the day(2 minute warning, start, 2nd round start time, etc).
- Payouts could also be posted.
- No worries about miscalculating your score.
- Handing in your card would be electronic and only be finalized once all players on the card tap a button next to their score.

Now all i need is a app geek to create it for me...... :doh:

I've been toying around with this idea for a while. I know how to do it, just need to put in the effort to make it happen.

I never carry a phone on the course. I am there to escape the electronics. There is nothing more annoying than the time wasted by others on the phone, entering their scores, texting their friends or playing words with friends. Stop it now.

Now all we need are smartphones to become ubiquitous, cheap, reliable and open source like pieces of paper are.

I never carry a phone on the course. I am there to escape the electronics. There is nothing more annoying than the time wasted by others on the phone, entering their scores, texting their friends or playing words with friends. Stop it now.

I enter scores on my phone and text my friends. I'm not even sorry.

Now all we need are smartphones to become, ome ubiquitous, cheap, reliable and open source like pieces of paper are.

They aren't? I know three people who don't have a smartphone, but two of them are over eighty so that doesn't count for this discussion. Literally everyone I golf with regularly has access to a smartphone.

I enter scores on my phone and text my friends. I'm not even sorry.

I keep scores on my phone as well. And during long waits at backups I'll text or check FB or whatever else.

Obviously I'm a bit biased considering I make my living as a software engineer, but technology like this is designed to make everyone's life easier. One of the reasons I was drawn to this field was that I liked being able to use software to take a time-consuming, redundant task and automate it.

Why treat technology as the enemy, it's there to make our lives easier.

Yep, sometimes I'm just having a bad round and need to take my mind off things. If everyone on my card is grumpy and quiet I'll just text my friends or check Facebook.

I would gladly use a "tournament" app if it means less work for the TD and a smoother running event.

The app would need to be location aware so that you could only check in when you're actually in the area. Don't want people checking in from 10 miles away because they're running late.

I would gladly use a "tournament" app if it means less work for the TD and a smoother running event.
The app would need to be location aware so that you could only check in when you're actually in the area. Don't want people checking in from 10 miles away because they're running late.

Exactly.

Nothing says you can't have it linked to Location Services. Have it automatically check you in when you got within, say, 100 feet of the course GPS coordinates.

App would have to be available in several formats. Biggest issue separate from not having at least one smartphone in a group would be cell service availability on many courses and from some cell providers. Then, what's the backup plan when a battery runs out during the event? Concept is forward thinking but practical matters probably holds it back for several years.

Generation thing. Old people fear technology while young people see it as a tool to make our lives easier. Like the idea.

They aren't? I know three people who don't have a smartphone, but two of them are over eighty so that doesn't count for this discussion. Literally everyone I golf with regularly has access to a smartphone.
This is a common confirmation bias of drone smartphone users. The reality is that around half of the population doesn't have a smartphone, and roughly 1 in 8 don't have a cell phone at all.

I don't have one. When they reach the price point of a 2G phone, maybe I'll get one. Until then, I don't want to have to go out and buy an expensive technology that I don't otherwise need to participate in a tournament.

technology isn't my enemy at all. I have never avoided it. In 1983 I was told I was the youngest computer draftsman there was. I filled out punch card sheets for a steel fabricator. I helped with all kinds of drafting software. But, I do that as my job. When i'm not working i'm at a disc golf course playing disc golf. My phone is in my truck. No td will ever convince me to carry it onto a course.

In the 90's I used to play in the Augusta Classic in Georgia. Every few holes you handed over your scorecard to the pretty girl in the bikini on the lawn chair. She would call in your scores to the TD so they could update the giant leaderboard. This was way more efficient and easier on the eyes than a smartphone.

technology isn't my enemy at all. I have never avoided it. In 1983 I was told I was the youngest computer draftsman there was. I filled out punch card sheets for a steel fabricator. I helped with all kinds of drafting software. But, I do that as my job. When i'm not working i'm at a disc golf course playing disc golf. My phone is in my truck. No td will ever convince me to carry it onto a course.

In the 90's I used to play in the Augusta Classic in Georgia. Every few holes you handed over your scorecard to the pretty girl in the bikini on the lawn chair. She would call in your scores to the TD so they could update the giant leaderboard. This was way more efficient and easier on the eyes than a smartphone.

What if we incorporate pictures of pretty girls in bikinis into the app??

Latest posts