• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smartphone app for tournaments?

If it not only adds scores but resets the scorecards and assigns people starting holes for the next round, TDs would find that aspect pretty cool.

Not to mention handling payouts. We could have a virtual awards ceremony where the system automatically awarded credits for merch, maybe credits to gift cards for pros. By the time players get back to HQ from their final shot, they can grab their prizes and hit the road.

(Just musing about the TD duties I'd like to shuck. I still don't care for the concept).

Problem solved.
1. A. Have a check in box of whether you have a phone with the app or not when signing up. If you don't have one, be paired with those that do for scorecard keeping. B. Have a computer to sign in with when you get there, that is near the booth but not in the way.

2. A. Paperscore cards are a must anyways, so that's a good backup. I personally never leave my house without a full charge cause smartphones suck. Also, I have a charger in the car, (for those long drives when I need gps.) B. The design wouldn't need gps, and should be able to be ran in airplane mode, just allow blue tooth to connect to TD when you get there and when you return with scores.

3. Bluetooth to connect to the TD, and problem with reception solved. :D

Idk, those issues are pretty easy to fix. I don't think we are there yet personally, but in do time we may be.
I agree with everything except number 3. Given that most bluetooth devices only have a range of 30 feet that doesn't work. Otherwise your suggestions are among the many ways to overcome the issues that the nitpickers have brought up in this thread.

I think this could be done on a larger scale. All you would need is a wifi umbrella on each course and IPads mounted on each tee sign. Instant updates. It would give it the feel of the newly updated bowling alleys.

And if you position the ipads well enough, you can use the camera for live video!

This is the job for the bikini girls! They hang at the tee take scores of each group and live stream tee shots.

Latest posts