• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Smoke the chains with a Roach

Anyone have a Voodoo and a Roach lying around? Trying to find the disc closest in profile to the Roach, but beaded. (Not planning on switching putting putters, just toying with the idea.)

Anyone have a Voodoo and a Roach lying around? Trying to find the disc closest in profile to the Roach, but beaded. (Not planning on switching putting putters, just toying with the idea.)

I have both...but the VooDoo is at the house. If someone doesnt beat me to it, I will post profile pics tonight.

The Roach has a flater top, but a more rounded edge, best to my memory.

The Roach took the VooDoos spot in my bag. Too much overlap for both, in my opinion...unless one is wanting Gateway plastic for driving

Last edited:
I have both...but the VooDoo is at the house. If someone doesnt beat me to it, I will post profile pics tonight.

The Roach has a flater top, but a more rounded edge, best to my memory.

The Roach took the VooDoos spot in my bag. Too much overlap for both, in my opinion...unless one is wanting Gateway plastic for driving

The BigZ (sometimes Ti) and straighter-to-turning Jawbreaker are all great driving plastics for me. Roach aint going anywhere.

I need a bead on my putters, but don't like the feel of a bead for throwing. Just toying with the idea of replacing the Challengers with a "beaded Roach".

The BigZ (sometimes Ti) and straighter-to-turning Jawbreaker are all great driving plastics for me. Roach aint going anywhere.

I need a bead on my putters, but don't like the feel of a bead for throwing. Just toying with the idea of replacing the Challengers with a "beaded Roach".

The VooDoo is a better feeling disc, IMHO, than the Challenger......

I like small beads. Thats why my putting putter is a soft Electron Envy.

I use my JB Roach for upshots and outside the circle floaters( less chance of the notorious Envy rollaway). That was the same duties the VooDoo served for me....if that helps any

try the focus. don't quote me on this but I believe the roach is basically a beadless focus.

I don't know if I have a Voodoo anymore but I know I have a Pu which uses the same bottom as a Voodoo.

Focus and Voodoo would both be fairly similar, I think the bead on a Focus is bigger though.

Giant profile pic

The disc in the middle is a Big Z Roach, on the right is a Plutonium (same bottom as a Voodoo). The disc on the left is a Macana which I thought might be similar but it's more shaped like a Wizard and you can't see it anyway (white on white). If you can't see the link you may need to be my friend on here, just friend request me.

The Roach has a fairly unique profile. The underside of the rim is straighter and sharper than I remembered.

I went to PIAS yesterday to pick up a Roach to piss off SD86 but couldn't find a color/weight that was right. Wound up with a JB Focus, dang it feels nice.

I have to say, I plan on throwing a Roach long before I throw a Rat. Neither name is particularly attractive to me, but the Roach position in my bag is less permanently occupied than the Rat spot. One of my main regrets from playing Selah is not purchasing a brand new, max weight, no-ink Big Z Roach for $5.

Jawbreaker Roach on the left and Medium VooDoo on the rignt. The Roach has a higher shoulder but the top is flat. The VooDoo is much more rounded.
When I tuen the Roach upside down, it does not rock on the desk. The VooDoo has a small amount of rock to it.
Due to the dome, the VooDoo is a small amount taller than the Roach. Of course, also notice that I have worn the bead almost down to flat, the VooDoo is missing a bit of height.
The VooDoo has more glide at putting speeds but is more nose angle sensitive and it does not handle OAT. At upshot speeds, I can't tell much difference in the two.

Attachments

• P_20180218_022759_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20180218_022759_vHDR_On.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P_20180218_023004_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20180218_023004_vHDR_On.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 39
  • P_20180218_024113_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20180218_024113_vHDR_On.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Jawbreaker Roach on the left, Soft Electron Envy on the right.
I feel that the Envy is closer in feel to the Roach than a VooDoo. The Envy is a little shorter than a Roach. It is also closer in flight to the Challenger than the VooDoo.
The Envy does have a bead, but it is small. Its just the right height to go into the groove of my knuckle.
The last photo, the discs are flipped upside down.
Edit. Wrong thread. These two posts were supposed to be on the roach thread. Mods, could you move please?
Sorry

Attachments

• P_20180218_024844_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20180218_024844_vHDR_On.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P_20180218_024905_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20180218_024905_vHDR_On.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 26
  • P_20180218_024933_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20180218_024933_vHDR_On.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Which is the more neutral putter for actual putts, the Chally SS or the Roach? After playing with somebody last night who was nailing everything from 40 in with Deputies, it really has made me realize I might be better off using a neutral putter for putting.

Which is the more neutral putter for actual putts, the Chally SS or the Roach? After playing with somebody last night who was nailing everything from 40 in with Deputies, it really has made me realize I might be better off using a neutral putter for putting.

The Roach & CSS both are more 'stable' putters than neutral. Even my Big Z Roach needs a good snap to flip to flat. It usually likes to have some forward fade. The difference in putting between the two for me was that the CSS was glidier. Both are straight putters to the basket though.

I thought You used a putter that was neutral or slightly overstable? All I can tell you is I am better off with slightly understable putter that is mostly neutral when bran new. However I have used neutral before but the disc was made for placement putters, those who can get the putt to stop exactly where they want with a glide-less disc and those who are accurate and like to slam putt. I am neither.

Patiently waiting for production run Ti...meanwhile, full foil Roaches on Discraft's site. I've grown to like the name... but that artwork.

*guess I'll get one, though...*
ffroach.roach_plain_1.jpg

Patiently waiting for production run Ti...meanwhile, full foil Roaches on Discraft's site. I've grown to like the name... but that artwork.

*guess I'll get one, though...*
ffroach.roach_plain_1.jpg

What plastic blend are these?

My Big Z's have been really great but other plastic options would be welcome. I wipe the stamps on mine. Great mold, questionable marketing. Here's what I would do:

In a nice font, have the word appROACH in the middle with a tiny roach sitting on one of the pillars from the H. Nice and clean. Look how classic the Z Comet stamp is. I think they would sell a lot more Roaches like this. Maybe I'll forward this to the guy that runs Upper Park Designs since he's their new marketing person.

Latest posts