• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So Cal must play courses

rj29274

Double Eagle Member
Greetings:

I may be in So Cal over the holiday and am wondering what the must play courses are?

I do not mind a little driving, and will be traveling with my dog.

Thanks

La Mirada (lakeside and backside) and Oak Grove (for the history, as it was the first course with baskets) are both must plays. I have not played Huntington Beach but it is probably the next new course I play. I don't know what area of So Cal you will be in so I will list other good courses in So Cal that I have played. Morley Field in San Diego is great (although very, very busy). Mountain Pride Park in Murrieta is a great course that is very well maintained. Yucaipa Regional Park is a solid course (plug in for my home course, weeklys are on Saturday Mornings at 9 ;) ) Martha McClean in Riverside is a very good course (just watch out for the homeless in the riverbank, kinda lame). Lake Casitas near Ventura is a great course, and so are the Lake Cachuma courses near Santa Barbara. I would also recommend Sky High in Wrightwood but the baskets will probably be pulled before the holiday due to snow (it is a killer mountain course).

Last edited:
Not a fan of SoCal golf. As a Midwest guy, they just don't seem to live up to my hopes. As nicely stated by Mellow, La Mirada and Oak Grove are the only two I can honestly recommend. Morley also has a lot of history and is a unique play. San Diego is a great town, it would be fun to take the pooch for a run in Balboa Park. No insult to my Cali friends, it is just a different type of golf.

Greetings:

I may be in So Cal over the holiday and am wondering what the must play courses are?

I do not mind a little driving, and will be traveling with my dog.

Thanks

If a trip to the beach is on your list of things to do, play Huntington Beach DGC in the afternoon then you can go to the beach and watch the sunset over the Pacific with your toes in the sand! While the Huntington Beach course may not be the best in the area, it is next to the beach!

My favorite course in So Cal is Yucaipa Regional Park. There is a $10.00 per carload fee to enter the park.

I've only played La Mirada and some random nine hole in Anaheim, but I'll add another vote for La Mirada. It isn't the best of the best that I've played, but it uses the property to its full potential and has lots of history.

Chavez Ridge, right next to Dodger Stadium is a good one. Coyote Point at Lake Casitas is great but a bit of a drive. A new course in Thousand Oaks, Sapwi trail, is really fun but still new and disc finding can be a challenge. You could easily hit Chavez Ridge and either of the others in a day.

Greetings:

... and will be traveling with my dog.
Thanks

If a trip to the beach is on your list of things to do, play Huntington Beach DGC in the afternoon then you can go to the beach and watch the sunset over the Pacific with your toes in the sand! While the Huntington Beach course may not be the best in the area, it is next to the beach!...

Forgot to mention that Huntington Dog Beach is nearby so your best friend can join you.

Also, I will likely be there during the week (Tues-Thurs) and prefer courses that are not crowded. When and where is the best time to play these spots above?

Good breweries?
Leagues?
Dog parks?
tacos?
anyone want to join for a few rounds?

I visited last year and played all of them except Chavez. I enjoyed Sylmar DGC the best. Very few people on the course. Good use of the elevation it has. Oakgrove was full of local recreational players so that might have made it less enjoyable. Seemed pretty much like a wasteland. Huntington Beach was pleasant but sort of a boring course. Had a couple challenging holes on hills and along the fence line that were fun. Had good Hawaiian food in Huntington Beach and it's a nice drive up the coast to get back to the LAX area. One real basic course worth going over to is El Dorado (especially if your just trying to get a few more throws in). It is near enough to La Mirada and reachable on back streets. La Mirada was a weird one. The little pond side had so many park users. Kind of scared to throw some of the holes. The back 18 was fun. On weekdays if I went to the back 18 around 5pm I was the only person on the course.

Courses I plan on playing. Please let me know if any of these are NOT worth my time

La Mirada x2
El Dorado
Chavez Ridge
Narrows
Oak Grove
Sylmar

Courses I plan on playing. Please let me know if any of these are NOT worth my time

La Mirada x2
El Dorado
Chavez Ridge
Narrows
Oak Grove
Sylmar

Well, I don't know about not worth your time, but that course is a bit of a drive in a completley different direction from all the rest. In that direction, I might recommend Yucaipa or Prado over Narrows (although Yucaipa and Prado charge an entrance fee and Narrows is free!).

If you want to drive that far to play a course, drive North to Ventura and play Lake Casitas, it is wonderfully peacefuly this time of year.

Discette, I will be driving in in the 1-10 from AZ so Narrows made some sense to play first.

If you are driving in (and/or out) along the 10 you gotta stop at Yucaipa! It is totally worth it. Great course and great scenery.

Plus, Ritual Brewing in Redlands is a good brewery option.

This! I would recommend Yucaipa as it also on the way AND Ritual Brewing!

Courses and my rating for them:

Riverside Narrows 3.8/5
El Dorado 3.9/5
Oak Grove (bucket list, course wasnt that special) 3.3/5
Sylmar 4.0/5 - beautiful and well taken care of
Chavez 4.1/5 - tons of fun shots on the additional "local" holes - lots of up and down
LaMi (Back) 4.3/5 - tons of fun and good amount of challenge
LaMi (front) 4/5 - really fun and short

Brewery:

Fullerton Brewery - Bootlegger's

Latest posts