• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Putt struggle

Pr0digy

I'm currently trying to learn spin putt. I can spin putt roughly 25ft but when i try to add spin, the disc wobbles horribly and the consistency is awful. There are days i can putt well within 25ft but sometimes even that close i struggle. I think my hand movement is off, more low to high than needed. Is there any good instructional videos purely about spin putt? I've watched feldbergs clinic and dunipaces videos about wrist pop etc. I'm trying to putt similar to Lizotte or Paige but i can't figure out what i am doing wrong. I couldnt find a thread about spin putt instructions either.

What are the main things to focus on? Is it grip, weight shifting, gripping harder, someother grip issue or what. Sometimes i try to get the noseangle ridiculously high when the disc just lifts and goes high left. (Righ hand putter)

I putt with prodigy pa3 and i know its not the most glidy putter but even with that i think i should easily spin putt from 40ft with minimal loft

Some key points that I mentally remind myself before each put is solid footing first of all I like to roll my lead foot from heel to to the ball of my foot with all my weight. Then my grip is thumb pad firmly flat on the top plate. During my recoil I picture the disc coming to my belly button as I try to keep my shoulders square to the target and on the release I try keeping it waist high with slight nose up. Factors such as elevation changes, wind direction, distance...etc changes.

Try putting with no extension, keeping the disc close to your body. Should force you to spin putt to get any sort of distance.

I used to do this. So, when i am relaxing at home watching TV sometimes i will grab my putter and toss it straight up during commercials working on controlling the wobble. Once i find a release that works i try and replicate until the commercials are over... then repeat. But unless it is missing, wobble is only costing you distance not accuracy. There are plenty of pros who have a very wobbly put.

I think that i do that arm extension way too much when i put from further away. And also my release point can be way high. As if im not fully trusting the disc carry the same height to the basket. And i've done that tossing straight up, theres no wobble at all, it comes only when putting to the basket. I think my grip is pretty much the same.. im so critical to myself for the wobble. For me its not a good putt if it wobbles to the basket. :D maybe that's foolish, maybe its good to be critical. But thanks for the tips, i think that minimizing the extension is a good point. I've noticed that lizottes follow through is way right to the basket, cause he uses so much horizontal movement to get the spin.

There were some modifiers I added to my grip when I began spinning my putts more. Bringing the pinky in tighter an I changed my thumb position a bit as well so that my thumb and middle finger cross over one another forming an X shape instead of pinching the pads of them through the flight plate. Also I just held a putter in my hands and played with it a lot like Zanguini suggested.

I've seen a lot of improvement in my spin putting over the last 6 months. I have four things that I focus on, in the following order:
1. Release angle. When I'm doing a practice putting motion, the main thing I'm doing is trying to lock in the correct "feel" that will get the putter going on the angle I want. I naturally putt a little nose down w/hyzer, but I prefer to putt slightly nose up and flat (especially in calm or tailwind conditions). To get that flight I need to feel like I'm releasing w/anny even though it's coming out flat. This step is the biggest factor in reducing the amount of wobble on my putts.
2. Weight shift. This is somewhat hard to describe, but I try to feel on my downswing like I'm thrusting my left hip down and back. Upswing that same hip is forward and up.
3. Wrist pop. This is probably frowned upon by some, but I actively spring my wrist open at disc release. I try for a small but quick movement, roughly the equivelant of moving from 11:00 to 12:00 on a clockface. I find that this makes my most common miss to be right of the target, so I compensate by aiming roughly 4" left of the pole.
4. Assertiveness. This is a mentality thing, but I constantly have to force myself to take an aggressive putting line. Don't allow the disc to arc into the basket, really get it to bang those chains. This is especially tough to do when I miss badly and blow one 20' downhill past the basket. Or to put it more succinctly, I force myself to believe that making the putt is more important than avoiding a three-putt.

When combined, points 2, 3, and 4 give me the power behind my putting motion.

Last edited:
I used to do this. So, when i am relaxing at home watching TV sometimes i will grab my putter and toss it straight up during commercials working on controlling the wobble. Once i find a release that works i try and replicate until the commercials are over... then repeat. But unless it is missing, wobble is only costing you distance not accuracy. There are plenty of pros who have a very wobbly put.

This is very sound advice and the most important thing for me when I switched to a spin putt.

I've seen a lot of improvement in my spin putting over the last 6 months. I have four things that I focus on, in the following order:
1. Release angle. When I'm doing a practice putting motion, the main thing I'm doing is trying to lock in the correct "feel" that will get the putter going on the angle I want. I naturally putt a little nose down w/hyzer, but I prefer to putt slightly nose up and flat (especially in calm or tailwind conditions). To get that flight I need to feel like I'm releasing w/anny even though it's coming out flat. This step is the biggest factor in reducing the amount of wobble on my putts.
2. Weight shift. This is somewhat hard to describe, but I try to feel on my downswing like I'm thrusting my left hip down and back. Upswing that same hip is forward and up.
3. Wrist pop. This is probably frowned upon by some, but I actively spring my wrist open at disc release. I try for a small but quick movement, roughly the equivelant of moving from 11:00 to 12:00 on a clockface. I find that this makes my most common miss to be right of the target, so I compensate by aiming roughly 4" left of the pole.
4. Assertiveness. This is a mentality thing, but I constantly have to force myself to take an aggressive putting line. Don't allow the disc to arc into the basket, really get it to bang those chains. This is especially tough to do when I miss badly and blow one 20' downhill past the basket. Or to put it more succinctly, I force myself to believe that making the putt is more important than avoiding a three-putt.

When combined, points 2, 3, and 4 give me the power behind my putting motion.

I think 3 and 4 are very important here. I tend to think of spin putting as cracking a whip. I don't follow through, in fact I bring my hand back toward my torso after the disc has left. If I try to power down the putt I don't get the proper snap and end up too far left or right. In order to minimize sailing past the basket I use very low speed low glide putters in a grippy plastic (DX tends to slip in my grip). Also, I grip like a beach Frisbee with my pointer finger on the front of the rim and my fingers spread out across the bottom. as far as the weight shift is concerned, I have been able to use this to control my range. The further away the basket is, the more exaggerated the weight shift/body movement.

Latest posts