• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ST. LOUIS OPEN 2014: May 31 - Jun 1

stubborn puppet

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
STLO2014_Color_549px_zps1ac6c7f9.png~original

8e06cd61-831f-4b9f-8dbe-d0cc8a3ed20f_zps0cd5f85f.jpg~original

In the tradition of the St. Louis Open, this year will be an even greater event than last year.
  • Amazing Player's Packs
  • The introduction of another great new STL course, "Briscoe Woods" at Sioux Passage.
  • Indoor Check In and Players Party at the Sports Cafe', complete with food, drinks, flymart, side games and live entertainment.
  • Over 3X LAST YEARS AM's MERCH PAYOUTS!!!

We've been hard at work to get new sponsors and better deals to make sure that we can offer more, but still give back even more to the players.

More details about the event and pics of the players packs (and other swag) will be coming soon...

In the meantime, you can check out the progressing info and preregister for the event at http://www.saintlouisopen.com/
Discussion boards at http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2432

See you there!

UPDATE: We are actively seeking streaming TV coverage of the St. Louis Open this year. So, if all goes as planned, we'll soon have an announcement soon about where you can watch the event live.

We're very excited for the grand opening / inaugural event at the new "Bricoe Woods" course at Sioux Passage. It's been a very challenging install, requiring hundreds and hundreds of hours of designing, clearing, cutting, landscaping and just plain hard work. The course designer and lead on the project, Francis Albanese, should be very, very proud of what he's accomplished and we are confident that this is going to be one of the best courses around. This will also be the first park in the greater St. Louis area to have two 18 hole courses. Sioux Passage has long been one of the true jewels of the disc golf world, with the addition of Briscoe Woods, it will now become a mandatory destination.

The St. Louis Open will be the first official event to play on this course. Talk about removing any chance of advantage to hometown players...

Now that we're in the final 30 days before the event, registration has started to really pick up. Considering that the Am's payouts are going to be over 3X that of previous St. Louis Opens, we know the event will fill in advance of May 30th. If you're planning on (or thinking about) coming to the 2014 St. Louis Open, you probably want to go ahead and register soon:

http://www.saintlouisopen.com/#!registeroriginal/c66t

Work on the new Briscoe Woods course at Sioux Passage Park is coming along great! Be one of the first to get in a round at this course on Friday, May 30 for the 1-Round Gateway C-Tier (Flex Start)

Last edited:
I cant wait! Any word on what is in the player pack?

As it looks now:
1 Discraft custom stamp disc
1 Gateway custom stamp disc
1 Prodigy disc
1 Discraft supercolor mini
1 Innova mini
1 erasable laminate score card
1 event bag patch
1 event die-cut sticker
1 golf cut pencil sharpener
1 event pencil
1 custom printed Towch (it's a towel pouch for discs)
1 custom event printed dri-fit shirt

I might be missing something, but I'll get a picture up when all the packs are assembled.

just out of curiosity. The flier says full players pack to the first 150 AMS. Is that first 150 registered or first 150 to check in? Also what's the not full players pack gonna consist of?

Not only that but pretty good payouts on top of that awesome players pack.
That's not really true. The payouts are the worst that I have seen for an A tier. Great players pack but they take a lot of that money out of your entry fee.

STLO2014_Color_549px_zps1ac6c7f9.png~original

8e06cd61-831f-4b9f-8dbe-d0cc8a3ed20f_zps0cd5f85f.jpg~original

In the tradition of the St. Louis Open, this year will be an even greater event than last year.
  • Amazing Player's Packs
  • The introduction of another great new STL course, "Briscoe Woods" at Sioux Passage.
  • Indoor Check In and Players Party at the Sports Cafe', complete with food, drinks, flymart, side games and live entertainment.
  • Over 3X LAST YEARS AM's MERCH PAYOUTS!!!

We've been hard at work to get new sponsors and better deals to make sure that we can offer more, but still give back even more to the players.

More details about the event and pics of the players packs (and other swag) will be coming soon...

In the meantime, you can check out the progressing info and preregister for the event at http://www.saintlouisopen.com/
Discussion boards at http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2432

See you there!

this is what hes referring to

this is what hes referring to
Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't see that when I scrolled through the first page. Glad to see they are taking steps in the right direction. Am payout was the only complaint I had last year. Great courses all over STL.

Yes Carter, we listen. :)

To answer birdman 101, The 150 full packs will go to the first 150 to register and pay. The packs will be reserved in that order. I am still waiting to find out exactly what will be missing from the packs after that, but it looks like it's not much...

Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't see that when I scrolled through the first page. Glad to see they are taking steps in the right direction. Am payout was the only complaint I had last year. Great courses all over STL.

Last year we focused too heavily on the Player's Pack. It seemed that a lot of tournaments were going trophy only, or at least indicated that they were, so we wanted to make sure our Player's Pack was at least as nice as everyone else. The retail value of the Player's Pack was well over $120, so the value of the tournament was secured when you checked in for your $60 entry fee.

I didn't expect the payouts to take as big a hit as they did, but you learn something every year. I didn't hear any direct complaints at HQ from any of the AMs, but I knew that there was certainly going to be some whispering going on. At least everybody went home with a massive bag of plastic and top notch swag.

Unfortunately, the last thing a volunteer/fund raising DG club can do is take a loss on a tournament, so the math had to be done 100% properly...hence the smaller payouts. Have no fear, however, as we have worked hard (Prez Dave West in particular) on securing more sponsor donations and trimming the fat in order to get the AM payouts back up where they need to be...and the Player's Pack is still going to be just as good as ever!

Come on out and join in the fun! The STL has some awesome courses and a very dedicated staff! We really do aim to please!

If you have a top shelf player pack, there usually is no complaining about the payout. DD doesn't even come close to matching any of the PDGA guidelines for payouts (35% of the players getting a voucher is the lowest I believe) as they only pay 17% of the field at GBO.... but the player pack offsets this and everyone is pretty darned happy.

If you are somewhat local to the St. Louis area, we could really use your assistance in getting the finishing touches done on the new course in Sioux Passage Park, Briscoe Woods.

Wednesday, May 7th we will meet at the tennis courts at 4 pm. You can show up then or any time after. We are still needing to dig a few pad locations for pouring on Saturday May 10th. Saturday the 10th will also be a big work day and we could use your help then as well.

This is going to be a fantastic course, sporting some of the most creative and treacherous holes in the DG scene. There is no better way you can support STL area disc golf than by coming out to Sioux Passage to help finalize the installation of Briscoe Woods. Put your mark on history and enjoy the sense of pride afterwards.

See you there!

Player's Pack starting to come together...

Here is a pic of some of the Player's Pack items...

- custom printed Dri-Fit shirt from Dynamic Discs
- SuperColor mini from Discraft
- Innova mini (GStar plastic I think)
- Prodigy Proto Plastic D3
- high durability, stainless steel pencil sharpener that cuts a short "golf" tip
- custom sticker (clipboard not included - I only do that every other year)
- custom RCF patch
- custom printed Towch! (towel/pouch - very sweet!)

There is plenty more in addition to what is pictured:

- custom printed pencils (round style with printed logo and eraser)
- custom erasable scorecards (courtesy Bamm - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48010&highlight=scorecard)
- custom stamped Discraft disc
- custom stamped Gateway Proto Chief (brand new mold - very sweet!)
- voucher good for dinner and a drink at the Player's Party
- and more items being added as the date draws closer!

Don't miss out! Sign up ASAP!

http://www.saintlouisopen.com/
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/2014_St_Louis_Open/register

13970177000_c34d7edeaf_m.jpg

14133628036_b11b4d2984_m.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts