• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stafford Woods, Voorhees NJ

I played Saturday and it was good. My only complaint was the ticks, pulled 5 off me after the round but the first time I played there I didn't find one on me so I don't know if it was just that day or what.

The course is looking better every week. Several people have been putting in a lot of work to clean up the fairways and remove thorns, etc. Lots of short tee boxes are being completed as well. Their efforts are really showing throughout the course.

I had a problem with ticks this past weekend as well. Played three rounds Sunday and pulled three ticks on the course. One when I got home after a shower, and a fifth that stayed hidden until the next morning. Just make sure you are super diligent with tick checks during and after play.

The course is nice just some touching up to do

awesome. I will hopefully try to make it out there soon. Was going to go saturday but held off because of something else that came up.

Thanks for all the comments on the course looking good. We are doing our best to complete the front 9 and add all the short tee pad locations.

As for the ticks, yes there can be more than more seasoned courses as there are plenty of deer and moles, mice to keep them in the area... I use Permythrin on my clothing and have seen great results since I tried that over Deet on myself.

Course Update:
Tee Pads - We are working on getting some agrigate material (stone dust or similar) to add to the tee pad locations and firm those up where needed. Hopefully will have a small load delivered from the Township soon, along with some mulch too. Many tees will remain natural grass or as is, unless they degrade and become loose sand areas.

Tee signage - coming soon, we need to take measurements from the new short tee locations and too add to the signs, also from various future pin locations, and then install those to the signs - which are made already (also raise some money for the 4x4s to install them on)..

Kiosk Board - we have built a large bulletin board for the parking area, and its getting some plexiglass doors made now. When its done, that will be installed, and we can post course items: work days, upcoming tournament info, course map, and more... Coming soon

Long pin positions -= these are a ways off, and we will concentrate on tee pads, tee signs, and a bulleten board in the parking area 1st. Also have quite a bit of work to do, moving dirt for tee pads, hole 6 landing zone on that hill, etc. Lots to do before expanding the course, sorry might be a winter time project... Unless the kiosk gets more labor at the work days, ah ha - helping hands would speed along the course?!

Back 9 - Christian (the gentle man who obtained permission to use the land from the township) just had a meeting with the township planner, and unfortunately this will have to wait until next year - but hey, that's only 5 months away. I've been looking around and finalizing the back 9 layout. Possible that its gonna be little nicer than the front even - except all 9 holes will be in the tees... This would be helped along with an outcry from the local community asking for the back 9. That information will be on the kiosk in the parking area when its installed too.

Temp Holes - we may occaisionally install temp holes in that large field during tournaments and possible work/play days just to generate some more interest. I've got those 2 already laid out between hole 4 & 5, and will both be reachable (under 325ft) deuce opportunities.

Mowing - we will do our best to keep the fields mowed down, but its is a private landscaping company that donates their time, gas, and equipment to get that job done. So be patient, as this is a HUGE help from a local company and they can only do what they can do... He already blew a tire waaay out in that field and changed it by hand, so give a break if the grass gets a little higher sometimes. We do our best on this aspect, and will have it taken care of before any event held at Stafford Woods.

The course name - it has been changed a few times, for various reason I'm not going into. The course will be called STAFFORD WOODS, as that is the actual name of the property the course is built on. The course is also mainly in the woods, and Stafford Farm refers to the piece of property that has the horse farm on the other side of that black mesh deer fence.

More to come! Work happening daily, like tomorrow after 4pm... Show up if you can

I would suggest clearings the foliage up a bit. Somewhat like Tyler

Then I suggest you get out there with a machete and get to work! ;)

Oh well that is one way to ask. yes help would be apriciated if you can lend a hand.

We are doing the best we can. you may not realize this, but a large majority of the course work has been done by myself and one other individual. We have had help on some work days, and a few hands have been lent on occaision. But the holes 1,2,8,9 are serious amounts of work to cut out the dead trees, carry off all the fallen branches, remove the dead laurels, then we can start to get at the stickers, and vines growing up the trees. Of yeah, we have had to drop MANY very large very dead widow makers just to make the course safe. Cutting down, logging up, and carrying off just one of these monsters just about kills two people for an 8 hour day.
I have over 350 logged hours on this course so far, Bob is over 150, Christian is probably over 100 hrs and about 4 others have reached the 50+ mark. But that's it, we have at most 4-5 loyal workers that keep showing up.

Any help we can get would be great. Start with the stickers, or maybe picking up all the trash and debris out there. The pond needs to be cleaned out, tons of garbage in that pond area... Just a few ideas if your hands are inclined.
The township just dropped off 3 large trash cans and 2 recycle cans for us to fill over and over...

On a different note, tonight while working I saw over 15 people come out to play, at least 6-8 had lids and loving that they finally have a disc golf course. Its great to see new players, one even had his 1st disc, a nice DX Shark, and he was loving it!!

Keep coming out, the township like that people are finally utilzing this forgotten peice of land.

Tonight, and every Wednesday night (as long as daylight permits)...
Stafford will host weekly singles (or doubles if we have enough players)

2 loops of the 9 hole course
small entry fee 5
come out for a fun, casual, competitive round

see you before 5:30 so we can tee of just after 5:30.
Tell your friends
See you there!
Adam

good to hear things are shaping up.. Still have yet to play the course but hopefully sometime soon when I'm up at the inlaws.

We are also going to have a very informal work morning this Sunday. If anyone wants to come out, I'll give fair warning - this one is gonna be hard work - shoveling tee pads stone dust and moving dirt around to make 'capital improvements' that should be done to improve that course....
Sunday at 8:30am before it gets any warmer.

followed by playing around of DG on the course.
If you can't make it out that early, see you at 11am for a round...

Are the long pins coming in the near future?

not in the very near future. Long pin placement infor ---
Holes 1, 2, 7 are close to ready for long pins
3,4 are no where near ready.
Holes 5, 6, 9are only having one pin placement.
Hole 8 is in the long, the short will be a par 4 (used most often when hole 4 goes to the long possition, which will be a par 5 and leading to the future long Tee for hole 5 which will be a par 4 too)
These will be great changes, but now that we have a nice playable course the priority is to improve what we have before expanding.

We have some more pressing needs to adress this fall:

safety and erosion on hill of hole 3 & 6, be building some steps into those hills.
Barbed wire fences removed, using those posts to anchor in the steps...
Remove trash and debris from the "pits" on hole 4.

Also have to work on the tee pads, to make better throwing conditions.

Then we have to polsaw some branches and clear the long fairway on hole 3 & 4

I'll be co-ordinating this work, work days will also be posted as we get some dates going forward.

I am 13 but can still help with whatever possible played a few rounds there and I am impressed

fbj2361 thank you very much! I'll post then next work day when we find a good day. Till then enjoy and keep in throwing

Latest posts