• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sterling IL park vandalized

Innovafan2562

Eagle Member
From the 9/27 Daily Gazette:

Sterling Park District workers arrived Thursday morning to find Sinnissippi Park had been widely vandalized overnight. Picnic tables and bleachers overturned, toilets, sinks and urinals smashed. Lights damaged, signs throughout the park run over, trash cans overturned, the electronic gate at the front of the park broken. Doug Jacobs, director of parks and planning with the Sterling Park District described the destruction as "savage" for the sheer vastness of it all. "I just don't understand why," he said. At this point, he estimated the damage at more than $5,000.00
The Whiteside County Sheriff's Department is investigating the incident and asks that anyone with any information about the vandalism call 815-772-4044 or Whiteside County Crime Stoppers at 815-625-7867.

ham lake in mn which is close to where im from took out the back 9 due to vandalism and people stealing the baskets. its a shame. your article sounds like a drunken stupor night of smashing ****

Yeah, it really sucks. I know quite a few people that are on here have played in tournaments there. It's a pretty good 24 hole course.

UGH. Stupid bastiches. :thmbdown:

That park has a pretty active disc golf community and support from local businesses. I really hope this gets resolved.

No disc course issues? Cool.

Knuckleheads are impossible to stop. Small Midwest town and youth angst...recipe for destruction.

If the penalty for this kind of destructive stupidity was mandatory castration, and it was carried out in a swift and visceral manner, I guarantee 95% of such crap would stop.

Happy to report after cruising through the park, from what I could see there is no major damage at all to the course. :thmbup:

That's awesome! I was surprised when the article mentioned signs run over but nothing about baskets being messed up.

That's awesome! I was surprised when the article mentioned signs run over but nothing about baskets being messed up.

Well, to be on the safe side and since the vandalism was so horrendous, maybe they should install bouncing betty's under the baskets. One kick to a basket or attempt to pull one out and BLAM!!! :mad::popcorn::popcorn: That'll prevent any would be vandals from touching baskets. Not serious, but you get my drift.

We played there last week and it was different. All the bathrooms were closed down. I was shocked at all the garbage around the place. It was somewhat confusing as to where the baskets were. It's been 12 years since I've been there and I forgot where I was going. I had a great time though playing all 24 holes. It's a nice park but people need to try to keep it cleaner than it is. The vandals are obviously a-holes that don't play.

Latest posts