• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Streamline Discs by MVP

Following SuperWookie's enthusiastic review, I picked up a Trace hoping it would replace my GStar Wraith slot. I kept losing the damn things before I could keep longer drives under control.

I like my 11 speed to be a pretty neutral disc I can shape on lines where I need distance but not a max drive. This disc is just incredible. It's very ergonomic for me, the Neutron plastic feels and looks amazing, and the trifoil stamp is just classy. This thing can take plenty of power (I'm around 400' on my best distance drives) and will turn a bit fresh out of the box but seems like it could take a lot more than I can give it and serve as a controllable hyzer flip disc for a bigger arm. It has the grip, distance, and flight characteristics I liked in my GStar Wraiths, but maybe with more true neutral flight, which is not easy to find in 11 speeds.

I also find it very comfortable in a forehand grip too despite not having much of one yet.

If these features appeal to you I say give it a try!

Agreed. I adore the Wave, but I finally found a lighter (167) Plasma Trace and it sits comfortably between my Fission and Cosmic Waves. It's in danger of becoming the preferred option. Also have a pair of lightweight Defies if I need more finish, but the Trace feels like the most workable of the 11s.

Agreed. I adore the Wave, but I finally found a lighter (167) Plasma Trace and it sits comfortably between my Fission and Cosmic Waves. It's in danger of becoming the preferred option. Also have a pair of lightweight Defies if I need more finish, but the Trace feels like the most workable of the 11s.

FWIW which is nothing, :D ...(it's out of my speed range) But a light plasma sounds sexy, but 165 is my max weight these days.

I got a heavy one as part of a basket FR, I see the appeal, I've heard good things about it from power throwers. I've also heard it compared to the surge, and I used to throwasurge a lot. It feels really similar in the hand and sounds similar from higher power throwers. I do know it is "cheatable" with enough anhyzer when underpowered. It also has a fairly linear turn to fade which is important when you are throwing above your class. :)

The trace is probably destined to be as underrated as the surge but I'm rooting for it. Consistency is underated in exchange for 25' extra distance

Last edited:
Still waiting for a streamline reactor or streamline hex

I'm not sure streamline will necessarily make discs that replicate what they have in the gyro discs. They believe very much in the marginal gains they have made and (as I interpreted the call with Steve from MVP and Trevor from FDG0 they aren't likely to offer discs that are exactly the same.

MVP is their 'premier brand' they will always be known by the black rim. Axiom is a brand where they can try some new stuff and try to fill possible gaps in the MVP lineup. Streamline is a way to make some awesome solo mold discs with the same plastics in order to get people who are doubters to at least try the plastic blends. Maybe they stick with streamline or maybe the decide to give the gyro a chance. That is, at least, how i interpreted it.

For what it's worth the new streamline echo will be 5 5 -1.5 1 so it will be just about as close to a hex as streamline will likely get.

Hey, the Pilot and Ohm are virtually the same disc, so I can hold out hope. I love the Reactor but I don't love the overmold.

Hey, the Pilot and Ohm are virtually the same disc, so I can hold out hope. I love the Reactor but I don't love the overmold.

That's a good point. I wonder of the ohm and pilot are similar because they intended for it to be that way or if it turned at that way. Maybe there is hope then. Like I said, based on what I had heard in the interview they feel like they can design solo-molds as well as gyro but that I am not sure the intend to copy the gyro stuff intentionally. Could be wrong of course--I am trying to read between the lines here :D

That's a good point. I wonder of the ohm and pilot are similar because they intended for it to be that way or if it turned at that way. Maybe there is hope then. Like I said, based on what I had heard in the interview they feel like they can design solo-molds as well as gyro but that I am not sure the intend to copy the gyro stuff intentionally. Could be wrong of course--I am trying to read between the lines here :D
The Ohm is only like the Pilot flight wise. The Nomad & Pilot are shaped similar though. Nomad seems slightly deeper.
4872ade0e651c459fcdc11c4bf348ecb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The Ohm is only like the Pilot flight wise. The Nomad & Pilot are shaped similar though. Nomad seems slightly deeper.

Bead is noticably bigger on the Nomad. I love the Ohm, like the Pilot and kinda hated the Nomad. I dislike electron plastic in general though.

Now I'm not saying MVP used the same Pilot mold for the Ohm, because obviously the production has to be different since one is an overmold and one is a conventional mold, but the two are very, very close. I've held the Nomad in hand and have thrown it, and I do agree the Nomad is more different in flight and feel to the Pilot than the Ohm is. It's noticeably more overstable, and deeper feeling as well, probably because it has a larger bead as opposed to the smaller bead on the Pilot and Ohm.

Here's a picture I took just now with some photoshop overlays:

PQE6X5z.jpg

Pilot on left, Ohm on right. Ohm is ever so slightly warped, so the edge of it is a little off the surface (see the gap under the bead).

PEJ1CC7.jpg

Same picture, but with strokes around the profiles of each disc.

UE8deQy.jpg

Profile of the Ohm flipped horizontally and slightly lowered to compensate for its warped up nose, overlaid with the profile of the Pilot.

Now this isn't an exact science, but as can be seen, the two are very, very close.

Basically what I'm asking is that MVP does something like this with a Reactor-like or Hex-like for their Streamline brand. I love the sleek, rounded, aerodynamic feel of the Hex and Reactor. It seems like all mids have a blunted, squared off nose in comparison. If they can release a single mold variation of one of those mids with the same stability and same rounded feel, I'd be a very happy person!

Last edited:
Streamline Jet

Anyone thrown a Jet by Streamline? Seems to be a less stable Trace. I'm not going to write up a big, long review, but I'll briefly recap my thoughts on it.

Disc is 172g, Neutron plastic. Fairly flat, very little dome. Rim is also noticeably shallow. Plastic is nice. Shiny, firm, and somewhat grippy.

Given flight numbers are 11, 5, -3, 2.

First thing I noticed was lack of glide. The Jet is fairly fast and has a good looking S curve flight, but the glide isn't there. Noticeable high speed turn, and the disc will flip entirely if you don't put any hyzer on it. Honestly, this thing reminds me of a bad Scorch or a Katana that's 2 speeds slower but with less glide. The Jet has enough late fade to bring it back toward center late in flight if you flip it too much.

Overall the Jet isn't a horrible thrower, but I feel like there are way, way better options available in this speed. The Jet doesn't glide well at all, and seems to suddenly lose momentum and want to fall abruptly out of the air. The fade is really dumpy, and cuts a lot of potential distance.

Max distance for me with the Jet was a shade over 400'. Hard earned distance. The Jet, contrary to its name, is a sluggish flier that doesn't get downrange very easily. I feel like the Archon, Scorch, Paradigm, Surge SS, etc are all better options here.

Jet: 12, 4, -2, 3. This disc is slightly faster than the factory numbers indicate. It jumps out of the hand easily. Glide is marginal at best, and you notice it immediately. Fade is dumpy/abrupt. The Jet flies good looking S curves, they just aren't very long ones.

I never thought the Trace glided well, and I feel the same way about the Jet. This is not a speed 11 disc anyone would want to use for max distance.