• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sugarcreek Park or IUP College Lodge

toddnick

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm going to do my 4th long weekend trip from Buffalo, NY to the Pittsburgh area for disc golfing the first weekend in November. I'll be staying in a cabin at Moraine State Park; driving down early Friday and driving home on Monday late afternoon.

Previous trips, I've played multiple rounds at both Moraine and Deer Lakes; my two favorite courses that I've ever played...(I've got a cabin at Nockamixon reserved in May for the first time, so we'll see what is actually the best course in PA)...but have tried to throw in an additional course in the area as well...

I did Knob Hill and The Pines on previous trips...I have no real interest in Slippery Rock (big, mainly open courses among buildings just don't appeal to me; I tend to like wooded courses, and must have at least 18 holes)...so Sugarcreek Park and IUP College Lodge are about equally rated and look interesting to me...

So, I plan on several rounds at Deer Lakes and Moraine again...but which is the better choice to add in; Sugarcreek Park or IUP Lodge...I know that IUP Lodge would involve a little more driving distance...

Last edited:
I haven't made it myself to Sugarcreek but have heard good things. I really enjoy IUP though, and the grounds are always in good shape and the surrounding area has options to hang out if you want it.

You should be ok, but I would verify that IUP isn't closed up for ski season by the time your trip arrives. That might make the decision for you.

I would suggest Sugarcreek if you prefer wooded golf. I haven't played Sugarcreek, but I have played IUP and the main attraction is the 2 bomber holes down the sled slope and there are couple cool wooded holes, but the other open and wooded holes are average at best.

Have you played Knob Hill? Also Schenley Park is a fun, quick spin, mostly in the woods.

Agree on Slippery Rock, have not played Sugarcreek or IUP.

Interesting

Sounds like mixed reviews of IUP...nothing on sugarcreek other than they heard good things about it...I have played Knob Hill and found it nice but nothing too special...maybe because I was comparing to Deer Lakes (my favorite mainly because of holes 3, 5, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15) and Moraine (which is a whisker less to me though I love holes 2, 6, 12, 13, 16, 18)...