• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Support local disc golf shops!!!!

To save all the new people that may be purchasing from you guys, don't order anything faster than a Valkyrie :p

I agree in theory by only stocking what people should throw, but I do not agree in business practice.

Bosses and Destroyers are going to sell well and grabbing a few Apes will probably work too. What are good sellers are those where people, especially window shoppers, see something sparkly, shiny, and or cool looking. Champion and IDye usually go fast if they are reasonably priced.

A good buy would be Yeti Aviars, DX Aviars, DX Rocs, DX Sharks, Star SM Rocs, DX Gators, Champion Rhynos, DX Wraiths, Champion Wraiths, Star Valkyries, DX Beasts, Champion Beasts, Champion TeeBirds, Champion Destroyers, Star Destroyers, Champion Bosses, Star Katanas, Champion Apes, and Star Vulcans. Dragons and Hydras do not do bad with the people who are afraid of water. If you need to go Pro for the sake of offering a different price point, Pro Valkyries, Wraiths, and Destroyers do well.

This should include enough of the discs people "should" throw as well as those newer ones that people have been "hearing" about on the internet.

If possible, and unless you actually have requests for them, I would stay away from the Wahoos, anything R-Pro with the exception of maybe the Rhyno, most things in Star because the price will scare them away, and older model DXs with "whimpy" sounding names like the Aero, Skeeter, Polecat, Birdie, etc. They are going to have their loyal followers but usually do not appeal to those just walking in the door.

For better or worse, if you can squeeze in a few spots for Discraft, X and Z Nukes always quickly move. D Magnets, Z Buzzzes, Z Flicks, Z Flashes, and Z Surges are good choices too.

wow, didnt know just how lucky we are in Waco.
An archery shop carries a good selection of Innova and will sponsor a couple of tourneys a year.
head shop carries Discraft, pricey but decent selection and will order in discs for ya. Also sponsors a few tourneys a year.

Then we have the usual big box minimal selection of Academy and Sports Authority.

Plus our local club carries a great selection of gateway, innova, discraft, and on occasion CFR requests...

I support our club more than the local shops, hell I support DGCR sellers more than the local shops honestly. lol

I only have one shop in the Pittsburgh area that I know of. Scholl's Bicycle Center carries mostly Innova and Discraft. But I always look there first before going on the inter-web. These guys sponsor the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open, which brings in some top pros every year. So even if I can find the same disc for a dollar or two less I'll buy it here to support the local scene.

eh.. we have about 1 good one here in the springs here, http://disczillasports.com. He carries a ton of discs, not a lot of new stuff. Also have a guy named Kurt that hangs @ cottonwood that will order anything I want, but he's pricey. There is a place called RedMountain Sports that has a section, BC Surf and sports with a good selection. other than those it's PIAS.

I used to buy my discs online but since Sun King opened here in Sarasota it is where I buy all my discs. Just picked up a new Element there yesterday.

I love Hazy Shade.

Can't say I support all disc shops though, the one here in Columbus blows and never carries anything under 173 and pretty much all Innova.

Saw a toll booth at blenden woods that was selling discs. Played that course last weekend, was pretty fun actually.

The big fan of the Natidiscgolfshop.

If you're in Phoenix, Love you some Spinners! (http://www.spinnersdiscgolf.com/index.html) They're located about 100yards from Vista del Camino (18hole course) and Duke's, a watering hole.

Although their prices aren't the BEST, this is a bricks & mortar shop with a OG Pro and his wife run it, sponsor/promote/organize tournaments. They are extremely friendly and knowledgeable and ultimately connected closely to the DG scene out here. They have a great selection of all the popular brands (innova, discraft, dga, millenium, gateway, etc) and they have gear, clothing, the whole lot! They even have a system where if you bring in a disc to their Lost & Found you get $2 store credit per disc. There's a list you can scan to find anything you may have 'misplaced' into the water on any of the local courses. I love this idea!

I work in a local headshop in town and i have convinced my boss to let me put in an order from innova :D people come in and ask all the time for discs and we only have 1 store that sells discs.............academy sports....... now our little town will finally have a store that sells discs other then academy !! Monday morning we will put the order in. any suggestions on what i should stock? i believe we will be ordering about 30-40 discs :D

Where in Arkansas? Might have to stop in next time I'm visiting family, even though I haven't been in a head shop since Dr. Gonzo's in Conway in, what, 1981? (was there when I was in high school but gone by the time I started at Hendrix in fall of 1982, I think).

^heading up that way this week, read about dodo's and was hoping they had a good selection. We have nothing in south jersey but dick's and sports authority.

Saw a toll booth at blenden woods that was selling discs. Played that course last weekend, was pretty fun actually.

The big fan of the Natidiscgolfshop.

The booth at Blendon is ran by the guy that owns the disc golf shop here. It's a nice little course for the land they were given. It's definitely a pitch-n-putt, but its still pretty fun.

Is that the Pro Shop at Mt. Airy? Or do they have another shop elsewhere. Either way the Nati Pro Shop at Mt. Airy is awesome. They have so much more there than my local shop and its not at a course, but in a tiny strip up the street from one of our courses. I would love to support the guy more, but he never seems to have anything lighter than 173g and the last time I was there to get an FL he only had max weight.

@discaddict U playing in the once around the mountain tourney on saturday?

Also, yea if your only experience is a sporting goods store, dodo's will rock your world

I wish we had some of those shops around me. I know my wife would hate them, but I would love it.

I've kinda gave up on our local chain sporting goods store. They carry Innova and some Discraft, and recently ABC. But like what has been mentioned, they carry what will sell to noobs. Forget about finding fairway drivers or anything but max weight. I've been trading here and some ebay to get my discs lately.

Love the local store here in Chicago-land (Joliet) Aces and Chains. Also, anytime I'm in Kansas City I make sure to stop by Disc Golf World, great guys, tons and tons of discs. For me, I'd much rather hold a disc in my hand, weigh it myself in the shop, and shoot the bull w/ the guys at the shop than make a blind purchase over the internet. Not that I've never done that, but, it can be a crap shoot sometimes when it comes to getting the exact color, weight, and other intricacies that I prefer in my discs.

@discaddict U playing in the once around the mountain tourney on saturday?

Also, yea if your only experience is a sporting goods store, dodo's will rock your world

Yeah, that's what I'm coming up for, heading up for a three day trip thursday-Saturday, but dodo's is definatly on the itinerary.

Latest posts