• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tax Exempt Status for Club - Desperately looking for advice

splatbaseball51

Gold level trusted reviewer
I've perused many forum's and posts (similar to this one:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75347) and haven't found anything to sufficiently answer my questions regarding tax exempt status' for clubs.

Our plan is to file for a 501c7 exemption. This will allow us to get an EIN (we don't pay any employees), get a bank account and start getting more significant sponsorship from businesses.

We're in the very early stages of club growth but are experiencing it at a rapid pace. We're interested in growing the local tournament scene which requires significant income from local business sponsors, etc...

My concern is the Safe Harbor Guidelines for 501c7 organizations. Is sponsorship from local businesses considered normal "income" for these 35% purposes? (https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non...x-Exempt-Social-Clubs-Effect-on-Exempt-Status)

If so, wouldn't almost any club who hosts tournaments need to file taxes as non-exempt? I find this pretty hard to believe. Lets say we have 50 members (for simplicity). Their dues are, say, $20 annually. That's a total of $1000. Lets say we host small events like doubles and singles that generates ~$500 total for the year. 90% of that should be from club members, so call it $450 club income, $50 outside income. Now lets host 1 big pdga B-tier event with the goal of having $2000 added cash. We'd need to raise sponsorship money to the tune of ~$2000 if we combine that with the club balance of $1500 to purchase all materials for the tourney+payouts. Lets say a conservative 50% of entrants to our tourney are club members and their average entry fee is $35. That's roughly 35x$35 = $1225. Which leaves an additional $1225 from non-members.

In the above example, which would probably be very similar to real life scenario for us, we'd be "moving" ~$6000 through our club annually (assuming no growth). Of that, $2675 would be from members ($1000+$450+$1225) and $3275 from non-member sources ($50+$2000+$1225).

Thus:

Member income = ($2675/$6000) = 44.5%
Non-member income = ($3275/$6000) = 54.5%

Does anyone have any detailed advice for how we should go about this process? Is "sponsorship" income considered normal income for these purposes? If it is, it just doesn't make sense to me how any disc golf club that hosts tournaments can avoid this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It's been years since I've even thought about this, but I think it makes a big difference if you're a 'Not for Profit' organization. In other words, you're likely giving out all the money you take in, one way or another, through cash payouts, prizes, members events/perks, etc. Other than that I'm not sure how it's all handled, and is likely different from state to state anyway.

I briefly looked into the 501c7 and got scared off for a couple of reasons (and I'm not an accountant, so I could be wildly wrong about these). The rules state that most of your money has to come from members and their memberships. Two things wrong with that:
1 - Almost all of our money comes from PDGA tournaments. Entry fees that cover players' packs and amateur payout, with profit coming from wholesale-to-retail pricing of discs and merchandise. Our memberships account for almost no revenue. On one of the sites I read, it claimed that most of your revenue has to come from "membership fees", which is definitely not the case for us.
2 - Most people at our PDGA tournaments are non-members.

So then I got lazy and stopped investigating it.

A consideration is whether you need the 501c7 to raise sponsorships from businesses at all.

It may not matter as much if the businesses can write the costs off as "advertising".

Which I offer not as advice, but as a question to ask your accountant or attorney.

I would call an accountant instead of asking a bunch of chuckleheads on a website.

And I do tax audits for a living

Maybe you can just turn it into a religion?

http://www.ourladyofperpetualexemption.com/

In fact, Disc Golf should just be a religion so that it is tax exempt. I'd be happy to write the creation myth.

"And so the great, whirling saucers left their seed in a basket on the fertile ground of young Earth. Thus was life was created and thus do we honor them with each throw..."

- steadyedesis 3:1

Sorry I can't help ;)

You need to find a local lawyer who handles this kind of thing.

Contact other non-profit groups/clubs and find out who they used.

Its honestly in your best interest to have someone look at your numbers and decide which is the best option.

Maybe you can just turn it into a religion?

Sir, have you heard the Word of Ed lately? No? Then allow me to quote from the Mold Testament....:D

None of the clubs I know are this deep into it to need tax exemption, or a lawyer. Yet.

Last edited:
Hey Splat... sending you a PM. I can help with a lot of your questions as my club was recently awarded 501c4 in october after first applying for 501c3 last february.

A consideration is whether you need the 501c7 to raise sponsorships from businesses at all.

It may not matter as much if the businesses can write the costs off as "advertising".

Which I offer not as advice, but as a question to ask your accountant or attorney.

Part of the reason why we settled for 501c4 was because of the bolded. Our IRS case worker confirmed this and we did not see the need to be 100% exclusively charitable. And for that matter, 501c4 is pretty easy to obtain/maintain.

But anyway, instead of seeking donations from businesses, sell advertising.

Part of the reason why we settled for 501c4 was because of the bolded. Our IRS case worker confirmed this and we did not see the need to be 100% exclusively charitable. And for that matter, 501c4 is pretty easy to obtain/maintain.

But anyway, instead of seeking donations from businesses, sell advertising.

Curious about the bolded part.

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw/analysis/documents/FAQs%20on%20501%28c%29%284%29%20Social%20Welfare%20Organizations%20v.6.pdf

Page 2 in the link says:

"Unlike 501(c)(3) charities, contributions to social welfare organizations are not tax deductible under § 170. (Businesses may be able to deduct some or all of dues paid to these organizations as ordinary and necessary business expenses under § 162)."

So what you're saying is that you get money for your club's functions through business sponsors by calling their monetary contributions "advertising fees" rather than "tax-deductible donations," correct?

Nemmers: basically yes. read this first:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/tax-deductions-advertising-promotion-costs-22449.html

then think about the different ways your club can produce promotional merchandise to distribute at your events. Pretty much the only way clubs can afford to host B & C tiers is to sell advertising. For example, we make deals with local companies all the time to include their logos on handouts, custom stamped discs, mini's, water bottles, etc.

Last edited:
I would call an accountant instead of asking a bunch of chuckleheads on a website.

You mean to say that most of the DGCR regulars aren't licensed attorneys or accountants who are fully conversant on current tax law? That's a tad presumptuous, don't you think? Lol.

Seriously, I'm curious what % of DGCR readers actually made it to the bottom of the OP before spacing out and shorting out their keyboards with saliva.

Consult a tax attorney. It should just be a couple of hours of work and shouldn't run you too much. Of course, you might have to wait until after tax season.

Also, The Oak Grove (Pasadena, CA) DG Club became a 501c3 (I think) last year and I'm sure that the president Howard Tan (the guy responsible for obtaining non-profit status for the club) would be willing to tell you what his experience was like. They're on Facebook and he's all over the club page. He's a busy guy, but nice as hell.

When we started our club we needed to be a non profit to get the city to let us get involved.
I talked to some CPA's and the bottom line was:
3-5K and 3 years to become a non profit.

That wasn't an option so we kept loking for another way.

We found a local organization that "hosts" clubs as a non profit.
They take 2% of the money hosted in exchange for you being able to do you transactions thru them.
This sounds like a bad deal until you realize just saving sales tax is 5%, so even after their 2% cut you are ahead 3% and they deal with all of the non profit hassle.
Here is a link to the group we used.
Look around there is likely a club like this in your area.
http://www.cfsw.org/
They really take good care of us and do alot more than just handle the money.

Best of luck

Latest posts