• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaver Ranch Issues

I played Beaver Ranch for the first time a few weeks ago, knowing nothing of this drama. It's an awesome course. I didn't speak to anyone there except my buddy I was playing with. $12 is a little steep but I left feeling that it was worth it, I don't live nearby so it's not like I'm gonna be back often. That said, hearing all the things that have been said about the new "owner" and the Bloom I must admit that it's troubling and a damn shame. However, putting 50 word reviews with no stars that boil down to "this guy's a prick, play Bailey" seems like an abuse of the dgcr system. Granted that might be the only weapon you have in this fight, it just seems like trolling/ bad form. Put those opinions on the courses wall. Or maybe Tim can start a disc golf course owner review page where you can give the guy 0 stars while leaving the course itself out of it. Just one opinion though, and the next time I drive down to Conifer I'll check out Bailey lol

Attacking through reviews comes off as pathetic and self-entitled. It sucks to lose input on something you've put a ton of time into making what it is, but unless you win the contract to run things how you want you aren't obligated to anything.

Disc golfers suck.

I'd say when this issue first popped up my reaction was that it was just another example of entitled, angry disc golfers. Having now seen how the transition was handled and how the (unilateral) "negotiations" surrounding hosting The Bloom progressed, I can totally see where the disc golfers are coming from and would similarly be frustrated were I ever in that situation.

As to the boycott, while posting the reviews certainly puts the club in a bad light, I have no problem personally with a boycott; it's the whole point of free market consumerism. Don't like what someone's doing, don't buy their product or use their service. If enough people do that, the product/service provider either changes or collapses, and a new provider rises in their place.

This sums it up pretty much for me. Didnt want to jump in without more info when I posted on page 1, opting to wait and let more info trickle out. The club's frustration is warranted and I would be pretty pissed myself with how the new ownership is choosing to run their business. It is upsetting at how greedy the new ownership is being and refusing to give a single inch on their demands.

Attacking through reviews comes off as pathetic and self-entitled. It sucks to lose input on something you've put a ton of time into making what it is, but unless you win the contract to run things how you want you aren't obligated to anything.

Disc golfers suck.

But I also agree with tbird, dragging this site into the battle is pretty pathetic. This place is a resource for all disc golfers not just locals. I would hate to miss out on playing Beaver Ranch due to ratings based on ownership rather than the actual course. It is a beautiful course and how sh**ty the owner is shouldn't influence the ratings.

By all means boycott the course, don't host tourneys there, don't play leagues there don't give them any of your money. Don't volunteer for anything and heck pull the baskets if you have to, but leave DGCR out of this fight.

Negotiable conditions have been thrown out there by Beaver Ranch. Try countering their offer with one of your own in which you address their concerns. They mentioned that their mission is to, "fairly provide recreation and amenities to the local general public in a methodology which is appeasing to all." So make sure the Bloom includes something for the community...some sort of free clinic for local kids perhaps? Advertise at the schools while also asking the folks at the schools if they could help solicit for some sponsors...they have a pretty good network for that already.

You already mentioned that you're willing to provide volunteer labor, and the folks at Beaver Ranch have expressed interest in having you do some more...so you're already agreeing on one thing at least. If you don't like their offer of $7.50 per hour, then add some more terms to their conditions...this is how negotiations work.

Jill Deem is a member of the Rotary Club here...so if you're able to get far enough with your negotiations, I bet she'd be able to help put you in contact with some potential sponsors too. Make them a proposal that turns the Bloom into a true community event, instead of dirty laundry on internet forums, and maybe you'll get that meeting you've been asking for.

I dunno. Courses regularly lose stars for tons of reasons including price. Deleting reviews based on pointing out the ****ty business model and making people aware of how the course is run seems heavy handed. There are plenty of reasons I would pass on playing a course, this situation is one of them.

I dunno. Courses regularly lose stars for tons of reasons including price. Deleting reviews based on pointing out the ****ty business model and making people aware of how the course is run seems heavy handed. There are plenty of reasons I would pass on playing a course, this situation is one of them.

Disagreement with ownership or pricing can warrant a half star or a one star rating deduction. The reviews coming in have been 1 star or worse, which is not a fair assessment of the course which is why they were deleted. Out of the five courses I played in Colorado, Beaver Ranch is my favorite. It's definitely not worth the ratings it has been receiving with this latest flurry of reviews, no matter how much new management is disliked by the locals.

Disagreement with ownership or pricing can warrant a half star or a one star rating deduction. The reviews coming in have been 1 star or worse, which is not a fair assessment of the course which is why they were deleted. Out of the five courses I played in Colorado, Beaver Ranch is my favorite. It's definitely not worth the ratings it has been receiving with this latest flurry of reviews, no matter how much new management is disliked by the locals.

Pretty much. For example, I've talked to a lot of reviewers of Flip City... A ton of them stated bumping up their rating by usually a half star because of Bill the owner. Bill is an awesome host and caretaker of Flip so I can see it...plus he hangs out and gives minis away and so many other cool things he does.

So yeah, this guy's opinion is a half or maybe a whole disc rating change up or down to represent other stuff like the owner.

Last edited:
So how low are we allowed to rate it before we are deleted lol?:p

There is no rating that causes us to delete a review. However, if the review rating isn't supported by the review and the review is about a person and not a course...then we delete... which suxxx because this site is so focused on reviews... We don't want shenanigans with the reviews.

Also, if you have zero reviews and then come here to post up a revenge review, well then... Wtf?!

I totally disagree. As a traveling disc golfer, I could care less about whether the owner is a jerk to the locals.

I empathize with the locals and understand why they are mad. But living across the country it really has nothing to do with me.

This is the reason I AM THEY only on private courses owned by friends. Plenty to keep me busy there.

After hearing more, that does sound like a very frustrating situation for the locals. Super frustrating.

[Sarcasm Font:]

You know what would be a great way to harness that frustration? Burn every bridge and salt the earth. Make a huge fuss on social media; ensure that the public view is focused on the least helpful and least productive parts of the process. Better yet, just pull the baskets. That way you can make sure that everyone is as unhappy as you are...and for a better reason. Success!

ThrowBot, just want you to know that I hit "nice" a dozen times, though it only shows once.

Read the 2nd post more closely...I skimmed that one earlier when I was in an uber... I wouldn't give up the baskets either... for what? A single tournament and a guarantee of being screwed for 2019... Nah, go find anither course, pull the baskets, and keep moving forward. The situation changed and it's upsetting that the club won't get dividends on all their previous work efforts... They do deserve that ti aome point. It would have been cooler if the new owners suggested phasing out the Bloom over something like 5 years ( as a suggestion). That would have better preserved the relationships and also would have given the club time to adjust.

I think that without an understanding of the finances of the course there's just not enough information as to whether the business that operates the course can afford to shut down their course for a mid-summer, three-day weekend without charging for that somehow. They are the only ones in a position to determine what they can afford. No one "deserves" anything from that business.

As to the baskets, if the club owns them and doesn't like how it's being treated, then they need to pull the baskets or demand a fair price for them. That is what they deserve, nothing more. If the course operator can't make it and pulls out, then the club should bid for the right to operate the course how they see fit, just like anyone else.

I think that without an understanding of the finances of the course there's just not enough information as to whether the business that operates the course can afford to shut down their course for a mid-summer, three-day weekend without charging for that somehow. They are the only ones in a position to determine what they can afford. No one "deserves" anything from that business..

In my home county there are two 18 hole courses in county parks (Langley Pond Discgolfpark and Boyd Pond), and for tournaments at either course there is a $3/player greens fee taken out of the registration for each player that goes to the county. It clearly goes back into the course/park, and they're free to play otherwise, but there is that charge for renting out the course.

While I do sympathize with the local disc golfers, I can also understand where the owner is coming from. Now, the manner in which it was all handled, wherein there was no communication, just demands and stonewalling, is what really makes this look bad for the course operator. I can sympathize with the plight, but the local club is at least owed some understanding and direct discussions for all the work they put into the course. IM NOT SAYING THEY'RE ENTITLED TO WHATEVER THEY WANT. Merely that their work installing the course and their ownership of the baskets means that they are owed respect and dignity. Whether hat means adjusting the tournament schedule or a fee to rent out the course or the am cash being divided between the club and course or whatever, that's fine. But to hand down an ultimatum like that is just totally uncalled for and crappy.

After hearing more, that does sound like a very frustrating situation for the locals. Super frustrating.

[Sarcasm Font:]

You know what would be a great way to harness that frustration? Burn every bridge and salt the earth. Make a huge fuss on social media; ensure that the public view is focused on the least helpful and least productive parts of the process. Better yet, just pull the baskets. That way you can make sure that everyone is as unhappy as you are...and for a better reason. Success!

Glad you know how it was handled. Everyone was polite in inquiring about the reasons until the owner initiated conflict on social media. The backlash is as much his fault as anything else. He created the situation, fanned the flames and burned all of his bridges on his own.

But cool. You're on a forum posting stuff while we're trying to fight for our course. Success....

Latest posts