• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee Pad Surfaces - Yay or Nay? (The Teebox Co.)

What tee pad surface do you prefer? (You can pick more than one)

• Concrete

Votes: 180 83.7%
  • Solid rubber mats

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • Rubber fatigue mats (the one with holes)

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Natural (dirt, crushed aggregate, etc.)

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • Artificial turf

Votes: 62 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We need everyone's help to get this thing right. Disc golfers for the most part have been swept aside when it comes to Parks and Recreation development projects. The average playground can cost $200k up to $500k+!

So why can't we, the disc golfers, have the same high quality materials and equipment as basketball courts, baseball fields, and running tracks? We can and for a fraction of the cost of traditional sports equipment.

We've developed a modular teepad system. High quality athletic surfaces combined with an easily assembled and durable base structure. Initially there will be two versions; A permanent/semi-permanent commercial version and a portable "EZ Pad" for individual users, field work, temp courses, etc.

What surface do you prefer to tee from?
We will have multiple options but need to know what the people want.

Concrete - Solid rubber - Fatigue mats - Natural/aggregate tees - Artificial turf

Thanks for your support!

Voted concrete, but have never been on rubber fatigue mat tees, or very good artificial turf ones.

I prefer concrete or turf. Either way, the most important things are that they are flat, even, and level/flush with the ground.

Concrete is great for easier snow removal this time of year. I can't imagine shoveling and salting a turf teepad working too well (as far as snow/ice removal and the wear and tear on the pad). The down side to the concrete for me (as a predominantly sidearm thrower) is abuse the toes of my shoes take. I know backhand throwers experience some wear and tear on their shoes as well. That is the main reason turf teepads sound appealing to me, but I'm not sure how often they would need replacing/maintenance.

BUT! As I said to start: flat, level, and flush are the most important things to me. A rubber teepad can be great but most of them that I have played on are super lumpy and uneven.

Voted concrete.

I hate rubber mats of any kind, best way to screw up your knees or ankles. I only throw from a standstill on those.

Played Vision Quest in Cedar, MN over the weekend. They have wood, covered in an artificial turf. When we first played back in the spring we weren't sure how they'd hold up. But they were great. The real test would be the winter and snow. But they are actually gripper and more trusty than even a nice concrete tee. If you do it right, the artificial turf on a flat surface is really nice.

I prefer concrete. Not a huge fan of rubber teepads, and I have never thrown off of artificial turf.

I find the rubber fatigue mats grip a good as concrete but don't wear out the soles of my shoes so I voted for those.

I voted concrete, but.....

Perkerson Park in Atlanta, GA has poured rubber tees, or something, sort of what you'd find under playground equipment. My brief encounter with it, it was fabulous. Not knowing how it handles being wet, or wear and tear, but it could be my preference.

The older my knees get the less I like concrete. I like most turf pads I have come across.

As a player, as long as a tee is level and clean, I don't really care what the surface is...concrete, rubber, turf, grass, dirt, whatever. If I can tee off and my only concern with footwork is staying within the boundaries and not avoiding holes or tripping over rocks, roots, or bumps, I'm good to go.

From a maintenance and longevity perspective, nothing beats concrete. Any surface used comes down to how well it is installed, but a well poured concrete pad will last infinitely longer as a viable tee surface than just about any other option. And with much less on-going maintenance to boot.

As an older (and heavier) player who has developed some painful Achilles tendinitis in my plant foot (rhbh), I really enjoyed coming across tee pads done in soft rubber playground mats this year. But for the most part, Concrete seems to be the most durable, affordable, and versatile material for permanent tees once the course has been finalized. I am also willing to start an 'Anything But Asphalt' club! We've got several 1980 - era county park courses with these, and they are slick as could be, even in morning dew. Stay off them in the winter!

JC said it perfectly; as long as I don't have to think about the surface while I tee off, it is a good surface.

...I am also willing to start an 'Anything But Asphalt' club! We've got several 1980 - era county park courses with these, and they are slick as could be, even in morning dew. Stay off them in the winter!

one of my local courses recently replaced the obscenely slick old asphalt pads with concrete.......but when finishing the concrete the pads were swept for texture front to back instead of side to side :wall:

I voted for concrete, because:
1) rubber mats can be slick when wet
2) until you can guarantee a firm foundation, rubber mats can get "wallowy" as the ground beneath them washes out or is otherwise subject to the elements.

That said, some of the very best tees I've ever played were the few concrete tees topped with artificial turf at The Claytons.

Perkerson Park in Atlanta, GA has poured rubber tees, or something, sort of what you'd find under playground equipment. My brief encounter with it, it was fabulous. Not knowing how it handles being wet, or wear and tear, but it could be my preference.
The rubber tees at Pekereson are wonderful, but took me a while to get used to their "springiness." They definitely feel a bit different underfoot.

Last edited:
I can't seem to trust rubber pads, I feel like they are either too grippy or slick, rarely good. Concrete is predictable, bit I've also played on carpet tees that held up great in crappy conditions

Turf done right is by far the best for consistency and safety. They don't get slick in rain or light snow. The problem comes in the choice of installation. They need a box and proper material underneath to get drainage working correctly. Shredded rubber would be a great choice imo. Provide give for your joint health and allow everything to drain through.

Best pads I've seen are at Blockhouse. Large slightly crowned packed crushed stone covered with artificial turf. I'm starting to dislike concrete. They are usually too small and hard on the knees, ankles and shoes.

I used to hate natural tees, but a new local course had no choice but to use grass tees and as long as you have proper shoes with some treads its like the best of both worlds, you can grip and rip hard (like kicking a soccer ball, or swinging a baseball bat) but the grip isn't so much that you have to worry about the torque in the follow through, there's the natural give of the grass/earth below.

concrete goes both ways, it can be the best (providing grip even when wet), but also can be weirdly slick even with morning dew on it (especially if the tee is made with chip seal. )

rubber tees when done properly are great because there are some variants that are still grippy even in the wet, plus there's a natural give/bounciness.

the weirdest ones that I hated at first are carpet tees. i hated them because they're ugly/unsightly and after a few seasons turn into leather-like surface when dry. but I've recently played on carpet tees when it was raining, and paradoxically when they get filled with mud they remain very grippy! its a scary feeling because you can feel the mud and it feels slippery at first step/plant but if your shoes have some tread, they'll settle into the carpet and grip once you fully plant. So even when totally wet and filled with dust/mud they remain grippy allowing full throws.

for everyone who plays where it snows, there is no better surface to deal with snow/ice. the only way is to get ahead of the snow and shovel it before people play. because the bane of snow play is when people play on the tees with snow on them, packing down the snow and turning it into ice. then its a huge pain to get the compacted ice of any tee (concrete/rubber/turf/ect). The one distinct advantage of black rubber mat tees is that since they are black once you shovel them even a thin coat of ice/snow will melt quickly when the sun is out (even in sub freezing temps) because the black rubber absorbs heat better.

turf done right is by far the best. carpet works great too although some may consider it unsightly.

rubber mats are the worst imo- i put 2 in at hawk hollow and pulled them back up within a month- too slick when wet or sandy.

i can see why people like concrete but personally do not care for it as it makes my feet/knees hurt.

I voted concrete, but.....

Those are the best feeling pads I've played on. Some are shorter but all feel great.

Latest posts