• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Tell me about the Ascent

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
Hey guys, I have struggled finding a comparable teebird esque disc that I like. Does anyone throw the ascent and is this a disc that can fill a teebird slot?

Can't really tell you about the ascent, but I can tell you the Icon Rival from Legacy is the best teebird-like disc w/o actually being a teebird

I get similar distance but have found the ascent to be a little less stable than a tee bird. If thrown low it tends to not fade much but will fade more than a teebird if thrown higher.

I get similar distance but have found the ascent to be a little less stable than a tee bird. If thrown low it tends to not fade much but will fade more than a teebird if thrown higher.
When was the last time you threw one? The mold has a couple variants with the newest being considerably more stable. Though the the ones less stable than a teebird are very nice for having a flippier ascent out of the box. With the new run of ascents you could easily have a fairway setup covering all shots.
Beefiest ascent is like a banshee, some heavy firms and glows run high parting line of the newest run, some kind of tooling on the back usually a 1 or something else.
Next is the firm and medium of the same 1 tooled run but ends up being more of what I believe the ascent to truly be, it has a nice HSS with a nice fade, most teebird like.
Then older run mediums can run stable to under stable under high speed but have high fade.
More to add I can't think of now.

Last edited:
Wish i still had mine it made a sweet hyzer flip turnover disc. I have a newer old run I'm trying to break in, plus two firms of the newer run. Ones parting line reaches the top of the other firms wing, only 1 gram difference but the first is a meathook, it rivals my XXX but I've come to terms that if I beat it up it won't be anywhere near that. My glow is also the same meat hook.

I don't throw a teebird, but I've thrown the Ascent regularly for a couple years. I have 4 of them atm and none have the tooling from the 'other' mold fwiw (including the glows unless I'm blind which could easily be the case). I use them flat on FH drives for a straight flight with a small amount of fade, given some angle on the release they can carry a line through the flight. Not flippy unless form is bad. I use them BH much less as I can cover the range of shots with the Ibex/Trak/Lace.

i used to throw a medium 175 ascent and it flew like a well seasoned teebird

nothing against the disc but it's sitting my closet and out of rotation at the moment
maybe i'll bring it back out

I got one at the birdie bash last year, and for my arm strength it has some beef - it is a disc I can count on for a good fade at the end of every flight, and can handle wind. I've thrown some pretty nice flex shots with it as well. To me it is more comparable to a Banshee than a Teebird.

I currently have replaced my Teebirds with my Ascents for the winter weather.
Generally I throw about 315-330 golf distance with them so by no means am I a power thrower but they go straight with a little fade at the end.
My Teebirds seemed to fade a little stronger than my Ascents at the start but in general they were pretty similar flights. If you like the rubber feel then they are an excellent swap in my opinion.

I got one at the birdie bash last year, and for my arm strength it has some beef - it is a disc I can count on for a good fade at the end of every flight, and can handle wind. I've thrown some pretty nice flex shots with it as well. To me it is more comparable to a Banshee than a Teebird.

Yeah, the one I got at the VBB today was like a cross between a Banshee and those really OS Eagles (10x?) that were like mini FBs. I definitely had to flex it out to come close to cracking 300'.

It was kind of funny for me b/c I can't remember the last time I was throwing something OS so much. Felt like I time warped back to my n00b days.

I field tested an Ascent yesterday, and it was more overstable than a Teebird for sure. I'd agree with the Banshee comparison. The medium rubber has awesome grip.

Newer Ascents are Banshee-like. Older Ascents are more Eagle-like, decent little turn and great fade, but not the same glide as an Eagle. The Glow I've thrown (and some newer run firms) are absolute meathooks.

Yeah, the one I got at the VBB today was like a cross between a Banshee and those really OS Eagles (10x?) that were like mini FBs. I definitely had to flex it out to come close to cracking 300'.

It was kind of funny for me b/c I can't remember the last time I was throwing something OS so much. Felt like I time warped back to my n00b days.

i think it was the 11x that were the firebird like eagles and that is what my ascent reminds me of. I just got mine as part of the TD sample pack for the BB.

Seems to have a little more hook on it. Not as much glide as a Teebird. Pretty good comparison, because the Ascent doesn't have very much turn (only a little)...

Breaking in a firm currently and its flying so nice, just getting straighter and straighter. No turn yet but will hold the angle you put on it longer and the same healthy fade. Also it seems it glides a bit or stalls out before it fades.

I'd like to hear how the firms break in, seems like it could be pretty nice.

I'd like to hear how the firms break in, seems like it could be pretty nice.

I have two early run firms and one has broken in real nice. It'll stay stable when you throw on a hyzer but when hyzer flipped it stands up and turns nice and slow. Weird but nice. The other one is same run but not as beat in and I love it because it's almost like having a worn in firebird that's longer. I can throw it a little further on chip shots and I can depend on it's fade.

Just throw teebirds. Dont replace them.

I like my Ascents. There's a couple reasons to go with an Ascent versus a Teebird. Has a few more utility shots, such as hook-shots. The Ascent hooks up a little more on high shots, so you can defeat a few more fairways by throwing a high shot. The Eagle is good for this type of shot, as well.

Latest posts