• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terrewalk Teepad at Lizard Peak DGC (Reno)

EricW

Bogey Member
Hey all. 1st post. Was going to reply to this older thread but forum warned me that it was old. Not sure of etiquette here.

We recently finished primary construction (tee pads and baskets) on our new course here in Reno, (Lizard Peak) and used the Terrawalk pavers for the tee pads (27 holes).

Starting the thread to field questions and give feedback for those interested.

So far we're very happy with them from a design side. Cost-wise (after a summer discount that we jumped on), they were basically equivalent to our designed rubber mat style (4x4 frame with compacted dg base and mat). Note that these shipped out of SoCal so shipping might have been cheap for us. Quote/Purchase/Delivery went very well. Install process was pretty straight forward. We went beyond the recommended to add some securing/theft protection. Install time was pretty quick after we got a system down (1 hour per pad??). We varied the pad sizes around the course and were able to put pads in several of tough spots. Toughest thing was getting the vibratory compactor and base gravel to the location (wheelbarrow when we couldn't drive the pickup to the pad).

Our climate is high desert (sand and dirt, heavy sun, dry hot summer, cold winter with some snow). Similar to concrete when swept and dry but with some flex. Very grippy (better than dry?) when it rained; soft rubber shoes squeaked like walking on linoleum. A little slick if covered in sand (to be expected). Slick with morning frost (like rubber mat), but they seem to dry off very quick after sun hits them. We haven't had real snow yet. After a month, only maintenance has been a broom. Player response has been nothing but positive.

I have a construction pdf (pics and process for our install) if anyone is seriously interested.

Eric

Attachments

• terrawalk teepad.jpg
    terrawalk teepad.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 119
Forgot to say...

Being able to move the pads was a factor for us because of a potential bypass road which might cut through a corner of the county park where our course is located (we've been told it's unlikely *cross fingers*).

And regarding budget and cost. It's a little confusing when you get quote in square feet, so I made the attached sketch. It's easier to think in number of pads and individual paver count. Each paver is 2' x 2.5' (5 sq ft). You can orient them different sized pads. Because of our budget, most of our pads are smaller 4x10 and some 5x10.

Attachments

• Terrawalk Teepad Sizing vs Tiles.jpg
    Terrawalk Teepad Sizing vs Tiles.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Can you give us the cost per tee pad or per sq. ft. or even per tile?

Sure. I'm going to round this off. The pavers come with 1 spike each, which is probably adequate but we bought extra spikes to really secure them. We also made a rebar frame with anchors and eyebolts to sort of bind them all together and help prevent theft. Might be overkill, but they're not going anywhere and the additional cost seemed worth it per pad. We're not in the best area and wanted the extra precaution. Believe me though, with 27 holes, I understand how much multiplication sucks.

Base 5x10 pad, 10 pavers, total ~$340
  • 10 pavers $281.25 ($28.25/paver, $5.625/sq ft)
  • shipping $25 (LA to Reno, $600 for 240 pavers, to a commercial dock)
  • 1 piece of landscape fabric, ours was donated but I think ~$10
  • approx 1/2 sq yd of gravel $15 - type per recommendation, delivered
  • compactor rental approx $10 per pad

Base 4x10 pad, 8 pavers, total ~$280

Extra spikes about $10 extra per pad (50 LB box, about 230 count, $95 delivered from BIC warehouse)

Rebar Frame about $20 extra per pad
  • $10, 2 pieces 3/8" (#3) x 20 long, cut into side rails and anchor spikes
  • $7, .250-20unc x 3" eyebolts, zinc-plated, 1 per outside edge, about $.50 ea

BTW, the paver price doesn't reflect a nice discount offer sent out in Sept. The discount made all the difference for us.

Edit: give yourself a little buffer obviously, you know like when someone leaves eyebolts out in the middle of who knows where or somebody steals your wheelbarrow. And don't forget transporting the pavers.

Last edited:

Latest posts