• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 25th Annual Memorial Championship

oddjob

Double Eagle Member
http://www.livestream.com/discgolfplanet

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/99307

The Memorial Championship broadcast will begin 2:15pm Mountain/4:15 pm eastern tomorrow with our MPO Feature group.

David Feldberg 12626 1040 Portland OR USA 2:42 PM
Paul McBeth 27523 1039 Palm Harbor FL USA 2:42 PM
Will Schusterick 29064 1043 Nashville TN USA 2:42 PM
Richard Wysocki 38008 1043 Fort Mill SC USA 2:42 PM

Some great golf last year with several 1100 rated rounds.

Who is everyone picking to win? Dave b2b wins with a new bag? Paul repeat? Will bounce back from playoff loss last week?

can't edit, but the coverage starts today (not tomorrow), that post was from their FB last night.

Setting up a Super card when there's live coverage is standard procedure now. Yes, they get a waiver from PDGA office since it's not the official way groupings should be done.

Yeah, that's an understatement.

How are the cards for the first round determined? As that can't be random.

The rest of the cards are random. Every year the TD's create a "super-card" for the first round. It makes for better television as no one would want to watch me and the other psuedo-pros bumbling around out there.

Supercard Exemption

IMO, this is a competitive advantage and SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.

1. Competitive advantage for all the players in the "Super Group" in that they can monitor their closest competition's first round.

2. A disadvantage for those unlucky 1030+ rated players (Jeremy Koling) not "Super" enough.

3. Won't we see this card or something very similar to it tomorrow anyway? Haven't we all seen enough of these particular players already?

Shame on the PDGA for exempting this clear violation of the rules.

1. Competitive advantage for all the players in the "Super Group" in that they can monitor their closest competition's first round.

2. A disadvantage for those unlucky 1030+ rated players (Jeremy Koling) not "Super" enough.

3. Won't we see this card or something very similar to it tomorrow anyway? Haven't we all seen enough of these particular players already?

lol. Get real. Have you talked to these guys before? They don't care one way or another. Some of them prefer to not be on the "super-card" as there is less pressure without the cameras and gallery following them around. Also, as I state earlier, no one wants to watch a group of 970-1000 rated pros playing. These guys are much more entertaining, especially in the first NT round of the new season.

You should angrily email the PDGA and tell them to stop doing things that will help grow interest in the sport.

I don't know....I love watching some of the shots these guys make. Just purdy....

However, I do agree in a way that rules are rules.

whatever draws more spectators is fine with me. this regularily happens in other sports and is wildly successful.

i think the advantage is minimal at best.

No competitive advantage (more likely disadvantage if anything) for a Super group. Consider that if Super groups were a competitive advantage then the regular golf tournament structure for BG and DG where players are later grouped based on scores would be unfair. If Super Groups are unfair then we should be randomly pairing players every round. But fortunately grouping by better score or rating is not unfair.

Note that there are several Competition rules violations for PDGA Majors where the event gets a waiver. Invite events like Worlds, USDGC AM Nats are not allowed. Using ratings to determine when a player can enter is not allowed. Allowing club members to register first is not allowed. And yet all of these things are done when getting a waiver from the PDGA office.

Last edited:
Does the PGA do this for big events? It seems like I see Tiger and Rory playing with other big golfers more often in the first rounds of Majors than I do at the other random tourneys they play.

You should angrily email the PDGA and tell them to stop doing things that will help grow interest in the sport.

ha, i was going to comment on that post as well, but yours was better than I would have done.

This will be cool, might skip lunch to leave work early and get home early and stream this.

The four tournaments that DGPtv will be covering for the PDGA // Beach Sports Network in 2013 will be:

*The Memorial Championship presented by Discraft (First date to air, April 1st)
*The Beaver State Fling (First date to air, July 29)
*The 2013 PDGA World Championships (First date to air, September 2)
*The United States Disc Golf Championship (First date to air, October 28)

channel listing:
http://discgolfplanet.tv/index.php/blog/from-dgptv/bsn-primer