• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the case for or against ramps to make roller aces possible

nolangherity

Banned
in 1973 a hubcap fell off a caprice classic on the highway and continued rolling straight, eventually turning to the left into oncoming traffic where it hit a semi truck carrying radioactive waste causing a 27 car pileup. 5 deaths and months of clean up later the frisbee roller shot was born.

since that magical moment disc golfers have been throwing roller shots no matter how many beers they drank that day. dave fendberg threw a roller in sweden in 2006 and everyone went nuts, but now the question beckons:

should we put ramps in front of baskets to allow for roller aces?

GjbFShF.jpg

for over 38th years disc rollers have been discriminated against on achieving true perfection of discs in chain basket. i think its time we allow these people to make their dreams a reality, and really grow the sport.

discuss :cool:

hole 18 at kentwood is a downhill shot but right before the basket is a little dry creek bed; but right before the creek bed is this natural little ramp thing. i've tried numerous times to roll one down and jump the creek and ace it. it almost happened once....

so yes i'm for this.

Skip ace off of the ramp trumps roller ace. What if the roller ace hit the center post and kicked out or cut all the way through and kept rolling?

Skip ace off of the ramp trumps roller ace. What if the roller ace hit the center post and kicked out or cut all the way through and kept rolling?

I agree. there's no way that disc would stay in the basket.

Quakers challenge in pa has a ramp on a downhill roller friendly hole. I've toyed with the idea to add some fun but I worry some damn kids will use it as a bmx ramp and it's just not worth the risk.

They did that at an Ace Run tournament in Salem. I don't think anyone aced off it, but they still talk about how much fun it was to try.

After I saw Nikko try three rollers that all went ob and cost him the championship - I decided rollers are bad. Discs are supposed to fly, rollers are ridiculous.

Other than that - it would just increase prices for baskets even more.

one time i got a roller ace with a beat up magnet. probably the coolest thing i've ever done

hole 18 at kentwood is a downhill shot but right before the basket is a little dry creek bed; but right before the creek bed is this natural little ramp thing. i've tried numerous times to roll one down and jump the creek and ace it. it almost happened once....

so yes i'm for this.

Mark this as the first time Kentwood has been brought up in a legit disc golf discussion. Ever.

<3 that ****ty chucker course. I played my first rounds there.

Barsby got a roller ace at DeLa in the Master Cup a couple years ago. No ramp needed. If you throw the roller you just have to know that you will have to count on a good bounce to get an ace. The ramp is not necessary and should only be brought out for an Ace Race type of event. Otherwise, it just seems silly and insignificant.

We need to make it harder for roller throwers, not easier, lol.

The other option is the in ground basket, I've seen that on three different courses and it definitely makes a roller ace possible.

Not necessarily a ramp, but smooth, natural (natural looking at least) mounds near the green could achieve this, and they could also change the putting dynamic if you are on them or around them.

Did video of that Barsby roller ace ever turn up? I would imagine with all the people filming out at DeLa during events that somebody must have caught it.

Seems interesting for a trickshot type of deal but I'd be annoyed if I saw a bunch of ramps on my courses.

Hole 3 at Lions Park in Norman, OK has a roller ace on it. Hard to describe the hole, but pictures here basically show it, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=570&mode=hi

Tough hole to birdie if your roller isn't on point, or you're me... :p Disc ramped right up the steps before the basket and went right in. Granted the man that threw it in is locally considered the roller master and supposedly has the most wins of any Grandmaster in PDGA history. Unfair advantage maybe... :p

Taking advantage of the natural terrain that would make a roller ace possible....cool.

Actually making artificial ramps to accommodate this....lame.