• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] The Daredevil Caribou is the Discraft Comet that Isn't

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
The Daredevil Caribou is like the Man in the Iron Mask to the Discraft Comet. Shunned, hidden into obscurity, few people know of its existence while the wicked Comet reigns supreme.

PDGA Approval Stats for the Comet
PDGA Approval Stats for the Caribou

Waaaaaait a minute...

Get ready for it...

The Caribou is a beadless Soft-X Comet.

To all those people asking, "is there a beadless comet?" Yes. Yes there is.

I gave up on the comet after the repeated flensing of my fingers thanks to the razor like bead on the z-comet. I loved what it could do, but I wasn't down with wearing a glove in the summer just to throw that disc. So I moved on.

I bought the Caribou not thinking it was going to be what it is. Ignore the flight numbers and flight charts, Daredevil's discs never seem to be aligned to them. I just wanted something that was like a later turning sol.

What I got was magic.

Grip Performance plastic on the Caribou feels identical to Discraft Soft-X (I used my ringer and ringer GT for comparison)

The Caribou is a dream finesse midrange. Like the comet, it handles a wide array of throws (and misthrows). Powered down it flies nice and straight with great glide just like a comet. Rides an anny line like a champ. Can fan grip this thing without hesitation. At power which turns over my mako, the caribou is still stable, which is a little different than the comet, which I get to flip easier. At 50-75% power, the control and glide is unmatched by any other disc I have...except the comet.

So no joke, I am not being flip :doh: when I say that I really think the Caribou is the answer to all of you seeking a beadless comet.

In the attached images, the yellow disc is a brand-new caribou and the orange disc is a z-comet

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 66
Aren't the Caribou, Moose and Grizzly all the same mold in different plastics?

It seems to me (and I could be remembering this wrong) that the Caribou version originally was a DXish plastic run at like 158g or 160g so it seemed too light for a midrange I'd want to try. They have changed this up now so it's a more viable option. It seems like now you could get a Caribou to test against an X-Comet, and a Grizzly to test against a Z Comet and see how they do. The Moose is made in a "Flex performance Plastic" so I don't know if it would compare to any Comet plastic or not.

It seems to me (and I could be remembering this wrong) that the Caribou version originally was a DXish plastic run at like 158g or 160g so it seemed too light for a midrange I'd want to try. They have changed this up now so it's a more viable option. It seems like now you could get a Caribou to test against an X-Comet, and a Grizzly to test against a Z Comet and see how they do. The Moose is made in a "Flex performance Plastic" so I don't know if it would compare to any Comet plastic or not.

Grizzly is way more Rocish than a Z Comet.

Funny thing is that I just got a 2021 MJ Comet, and I really like it (much better for me than 2020 MJ Comet), but I was wondering what I could do to soften up the bead that indeed does feel like I could cut paper with it. Anyone have any thoughts?

It probably was. This caribou variant is 174g and the Grip Performance is not at all like the "Grip Performance" that's on my swift fox. The swift fox "grip performance" feels like a cross between star and big-z whereas this caribou is indistinguishable in feel of Soft-X. I was so confused when it arrived. It felt almost as soft as the walrus (which is elastic performance), but there is definitely less give and I don't think I could fold it in half like you can with elastic performance. But if you've ever felt Discraft's Soft-X, it feels just like it.
All caribous on Daredevil's site now are 174-178. In fact, the weight differences which used to be signature Daredevil seem to be gone (at least in their mids of the same mold).

Ugh I ran out of edit time.
I meant to say that I would probably dig the moose as I love Flex Performance (Timberwolf, Merlin, and Mammoth) but this new caribou is surprisingly versatile with how good its grip is. The odd thing I noticed about Daredevil in my own anecdotal experience is that their extremes are way more tempered than advertised. My caribou is understable, but not crazy so. At these comparable weights, I'd be surprised if there is a substantial difference anymore between the caribou, moose, and grizzly. At least one that can be detected by someone with under a 900 rating...?

Don't forget about the ABC Flying Squirrel. Nice to see Daredevil getting some love though. The RDG Ptero is one of the straightest faster drivers I've ever thrown.

Funny thing is that I just got a 2021 MJ Comet, and I really like it (much better for me than 2020 MJ Comet), but I was wondering what I could do to soften up the bead that indeed does feel like I could cut paper with it. Anyone have any thoughts?

You can throw it flat on pavement so it slides across it until the flashing is ground down. If it's not directly on the bottom of the mold, you could also use a sanding block to grind it down.

Don't forget about the ABC Flying Squirrel. Nice to see Daredevil getting some love though. The RDG Ptero is one of the straightest faster drivers I've ever thrown.

You can throw it flat on pavement so it slides across it until the flashing is ground down. If it's not directly on the bottom of the mold, you could also use a sanding block to grind it down.

I ended up getting a Sabertooth the other day since I missed my RDG Raptor. They throw really well, forgot how much glide they had for an OS disc.

I ended up getting a Sabertooth the other day since I missed my RDG Raptor. They throw really well, forgot how much glide they had for an OS disc.

I loved that about the mammoth as well. The only reason I gave up on the mammoth is that I discovered 150g OS fairways like my 153g Neutron Motion.

... How are you guys getting cut on beads? They should be less sharp than bead-less.

Yea I agree. Seems extreme. If you're cutting your hand on the flashing on the bead, then just do some super light sanding to get rid of it. It doesn't take much to knock that sharp edge off.

I loved that about the mammoth as well. The only reason I gave up on the mammoth is that I discovered 150g OS fairways like my 153g Neutron Motion.

That's fair, the Motion can straight bomb.

I have a 168 that I will travel with sometimes because it can basically handle any FH from 330-450 depending on the pop/height I give it. Makes it easier to just have a 5 disc bag when I'm dealing with limited space.

That's not an issue with the bead. The core piece and the wing piece of a three piece golf disc mold come together at the bottom of the wing, bead or no. If there is something sharp there, it's flashing (extra plastic that seeped out of the mold or something.) Usually flashing gets cut off before the disc is shipped, but sometimes you get a disc with a lot of sharp flashing that snuck out of the factory somehow. I don't recommend trying to cut it off as that appears to be a skill and you can easily cut too much and screw up the disc (ask me how I know. :| ) Run a little sandpaper over the flashing and it will take care of it.

Waaaaaait a minute...

Get ready for it...

The Caribou is a beadless Soft-X Comet.

I gave up on the comet after the repeated flensing of my fingers thanks to the razor like bead on the z-comet. I loved what it could do, but I wasn't down with wearing a glove in the summer just to throw that disc. So I moved on.

I'm in a similar boat, but the bead on my Comets is catching on the inside if my middle finger and creating bloody callous. Even my worn, rounded bead Elite-X Comet is doing this. I think it might be due to dryish skin, but who knows. It did this at a few points last year too, but I just played through it.

Yea I agree. Seems extreme. If you're cutting your hand on the flashing on the bead, then just do some super light sanding to get rid of it. It doesn't take much to knock that sharp edge off.

It's possible; my only experience throwing comets was with some Z comets that I had made for a club. I can throw them just fine with a power grip, but that's not a grip I like under 200'. Throwing a modified fan grip tore up the knuckle on my middle finger. Even with this banged up z-comet, the bead is sharper and narrower than the inner lip on the caribou. I guess this is why I always blamed the bead for discomfort. I don't get the shred with the caribou, but I still get the flight.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 17

What weight Raptor and Tyrants are throwing?

I have some near max weights that are useless to my old arm...

What weight Raptor and Tyrants are throwing?

I have some near max weights that are useless to my old arm...

As close to max as I can get them, but I can use down to 165. Shoot me a Pm!

I gave up on the comet after the repeated flensing of my fingers thanks to the razor like bead on the z-comet.
I've spent a couple of days with a stack of Z Comets trying to figure out this comment. I mean if it bothers you it bothers you, but nothing about a Z Comet feels even remotely uncomfortable in my hand. Just wanted to mention that since Comets seem to be getting trashed here for something I've never experienced.

Grip Performance plastic on the Caribou feels identical to Discraft Soft-X (I used my ringer and ringer GT for comparison)
I have a Pteranodon in the Grip Performance plastic. It seems to me to be much more like Star plastic on the softer side than Soft X to me. It's not giving me an X plastic vibe at all. It does have a good feel to it, though.

The Pteranodon I have (sample size: 1) can run a lot of Comet lines, but it's not really Comet-like. The glide isn't there. It is neutral to me more than under stable, but it's a little faster, kinda Meteor-ish a little. It's a good disc, one of those "If I didn't already have a basement full of Rocs and Comets I might throw this" kinda things.

The Caribou idea is pretty intriguing. I like the Pteranodon enough to try more Daredevil discs, and it could be a cool option. I don't really agree with a lot of the details of your assessment, but the overall idea still seems decent enough to try.

Latest posts