• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] The Daredevil Caribou is the Discraft Comet that Isn't

Lol, my daughter and I have a "not quite a Comet" list; it's a bunch of discs that by and large we enjoy throwing and if it wasn't for Comets would have a strong possibility of being in the bag, but are never going to be in the bag because Comets.

I've spent a couple of days with a stack of Z Comets trying to figure out this comment. I mean if it bothers you it bothers you, but nothing about a Z Comet feels even remotely uncomfortable in my hand. Just wanted to mention that since Comets seem to be getting trashed here for something I've never experienced.

Nah, not trying to trash the comet. I recognize how awesome the disc is. I REALLY wanted to like the comet. First couple times I had Discraft make discs for my club, we got buzzzes and roaches. Last time, I switched up to comets because I wanted to try a more understable disc for new arms. I would have had them print sols (because I was used to those) but those weren't an option, but the Z-comet was.
So I still have a stack of those left.

In retrospect, I was happy with the comet because the z-comet pulls off shots I couldn't ever make with the sol. It is truly a fantastic disc.

I just personally can't use it except in the winter when I'm using a friction glove.

The only other discs that shred my finger are sharks and rocs. This is why I figured it must be the bead doing it. I'll look through the box of comets I still have left over and see if they are just as sharp, but I think they are.

I have a Pteranodon in the Grip Performance plastic. It seems to me to be much more like Star plastic on the softer side than Soft X to me. It's not giving me an X plastic vibe at all. It does have a good feel to it, though...

The Caribou idea is pretty intriguing. I like the Pteranodon enough to try more Daredevil discs, and it could be a cool option. I don't really agree with a lot of the details of your assessment, but the overall idea still seems decent enough to try.

The plastic took me by surprise. But it's also a different weight than it used to be, so I'm wondering if Daredevil completely reformulated what they call "Grip Performance" because it's SIGNIFICANTLY different than the Swift Fox as well (although like you, sample size 1 there). I have two of these new caribous and they are identical 174g super grippy. The only part of soft-X that feels like X is the flex of the flight plate. The surface feels like a skin of lightly textured nitrile stretched over it. I have two ringers and two ringer GT's in soft-x and they feel just like these caribous.

The only other discs that shred my finger are sharks and rocs. This is why I figured it must be the bead doing it. I'll look through the box of comets I still have left over and see if they are just as sharp, but I think they are.
That's bizarre. Beads are just rounded edges, there isn't anything sharp about them. Sharks don't have a bead BTW. What you have there is the flashing from where the core piece and the wing piece meet, and literally every disc has the potential of flashing there, bead or no. Bad flashing happens and it sucks when you get a disc with that, but it's in my experience a hit and miss kinda thing. I've been throwing Rocs and Comets for over 25 years and I've never had an issue. Hit those suckers with some sandpaper!

The plastic took me by surprise. But it's also a different weight than it used to be, so I'm wondering if Daredevil completely reformulated what they call "Grip Performance" because it's SIGNIFICANTLY different than the Swift Fox as well (although like you, sample size 1 there). I have two of these new caribous and they are identical 174g super grippy. The only part of soft-X that feels like X is the flex of the flight plate. The surface feels like a skin of lightly textured nitrile stretched over it. I have two ringers and two ringer GT's in soft-x and they feel just like these caribous.
They seem to be pretty small volume so the plastic might change just based on what they can get. I'd have to have a lot more Daredevil Discs to know what I'm talking about, though.

That's bizarre. Beads are just rounded edges, there isn't anything sharp about them. Sharks don't have a bead BTW. What you have there is the flashing from where the core piece and the wing piece meet, and literally every disc has the potential of flashing there, bead or no. Bad flashing happens and it sucks when you get a disc with that, but it's in my experience a hit and miss kinda thing. I've been throwing Rocs and Comets for over 25 years and I've never had an issue. Hit those suckers with some sandpaper!

Yeah, this whole thread really got me thinking because you're right; the bead is a rounded edge. I started looking at the discs that I remember causing me the same grief on the middle finger knuckle and it dawned on me: bead or not, if the disc digs sharply into the meat of middle finger before the first knuckle when I am holding it in a modified fan grip, when it rips out, it shreds my knuckle. My fingers are kind of long and narrow like piano player fingers. You're totally right; the shark is beadless, and I think the issues I was having there was with the chewed up bottoms of the DX sharks that I started with. The RDG scale was a nightmare. Throwing the rattler was also painful for me even though at one point I really liked it for putting. Meanwhile, discs like the sol and the mako were comfortable from the beginning. The buzzz is also comfortable. I figured the bead was the culprit, and to some degree it still is. What the bead does is provide a high pressure point when I am squeezing the disc between my thumb and my fingertips which are pushing up on the flight plate in my modified fan grip.
The wing on the mako is slightly convex (kind of weird that way) but it actually sits nicely on my finger with the edge right at the knuckle and I experience no abrasion.
The wing on a buzzz is concave, but the buzzz also sits right at the knuckle, and I have no issues with it.
The wing on my ringer GT has a bead, but it's a shallow disc and my middle finger only makes contact with the disc on the flight plate.
The comet, though... it's a leaner (less chunky) rim than the buzzz and so the disc seats itself further away (up my finger) from the knuckle and this is where the problem actually is.
Though the bead is round, it's still a high pressure edge like a squeegee that is rubbing along my finger. It shouldn't be an issue except that my personal technique and my particular hand dimensions are not a fit with the comet, which takes me back to the original point of this post.

Are you certain you know what flashing is?

Are you certain you know what flashing is?

If this is to me, then I am guessing that it is the residue left from the injection molding process when the disc is popped out... I'm not certain, but that would make sense in the context of what Three Putt was explaining to me.

I've spent a couple of days with a stack of Z Comets trying to figure out this comment. I mean if it bothers you it bothers you, but nothing about a Z Comet feels even remotely uncomfortable in my hand. Just wanted to mention that since Comets seem to be getting trashed here for something I've never experienced.

I have a Pteranodon in the Grip Performance plastic. It seems to me to be much more like Star plastic on the softer side than Soft X to me. It's not giving me an X plastic vibe at all. It does have a good feel to it, though.

So yeah, I see that Daredevil calls both the Caribou and Pteranodon "Grip Performance" but per their website:

For the Pteranodon, they say "Made from our new super durable grippy 'Ultra Plastic'. This disc has a small bead and will provide you with unbelievably straight shots perfect for tight hallways and crazy smooth glide, holding any line that you throw it on. A great disc for both Rookies and Pros.

Ultra Performance Plastic – Durable opaque plastic similar to our 'High Performance' plastic with improved grip and a little more flex."

Yet for the Caribou, they say, "This beaded midrange uses the same 'Grip Performance' rubber plastic blend as our very popular 'Polar Bear' putter, making it perfect for all weather conditions. It has a straight to understable flight pattern making it easy to control and a great 'get out of trouble' disc. Best used for short drives and shots just outside of your putting range. When you power it down it flies straight as an arrow with a small dependable fade.

Grip Performance Plastic – Firm rubber with a bit of flexibility and excellent grip in all weather conditions/temperatures. Grip improves with use."

This would explain why your pteranodon might feel like star or G* perhaps while the caribou feels more like an eraser like soft-X. While they call them both "Grip Performance" they aren't the same...?

My favorite mid is my Daredevil Walrus, made out of their rubbery Elastic Performance plastic (I bought it for winter use). They don't make anything else exactly like it in a firmer plastic. Just a great feeling disc. I've never thrown it in our high summer heat and humidity. I might have to continue to use it and see what happens lol.

Latest posts