• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dumbest Putt Ever Missed

WindyCityROCer

Par Member
OK, we've all had our screw ups (gotta love the "it's a <10 footer, don't take off bag/pay attention oops!") but one I threw today took the cake....

#20 Sgt Means http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=81&page=1&mode=rev#13097 chose hyzer line off tee got tree-nied, parked 2nd shot @10' out....

putt goes slightly right of post, bounces off back chains, hits front chains, bounces again off back chains, again off front chains, hits chains then falls out the back....... I look up to the golf gods and laugh "at least it's the last hole"

PS.. last time I played, I bounced the tee shot off the post (YES I GOT THE DEUCE)

so let's all vent our anger!!!! (rather than abuse the basket... I'll admit I was VERY tempted)

I was playing at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis where birdies are hard to come by for me. I threw a great forehand drive to land within about 20 feet. wide open, stright putt for birdie got me very excited. of course my putt hits the top of the chains and falls short. i was so mad i picked up my putter and launched it forehand from about 2 feet away. but when i threw it the disc was vertical and went right through the chains. so instead of a missed birdie and tap in par, i get a bogey.

I've had puts like that. Worse was when it hit the top and rolled back down the hill 100 ft. Needless to say I said a few colorful words.

Don't get me started on this...I hate putting! Missed a couple from 10' the other day. My friend missed a 5 footer which made me feel a little better, it went just too high and bounced out. Can't tell you how many times I have the best drive and end with the worst score on a hole. Yeah yeah drive for show, put for dough. I practice putting every friggin' day in my living room.

It's basically those really short putts that are taken for granted, until they are missed:eek: You'd think I'd learn from my stupid mistakes, but it always happens again sooner or later.

Maybe not my worst putt ever, but definitely my most disappointing had to be this last weekend on the toughest hole at Pease. The hole is 688' in all, and starts with a tunnel shot for about 250 feet or so, then it breaks right down the hill, then turns back left up the hill and then straight for another 300 feet. I had a perfect first drive and then almost a perfect second drive, but landed about 30' short of the pin. I've never even come close to getting a 3 on this hole and am very happy when I get a 4, and all I had to do was hit a 30 footer for what could have been the best hole of my life, but alas, I dinked it off the basket and ended with what would normally be a pleasant 4.

I was dumbfounded when my SSS Warlock literally bounced out of the basket after a < 15' putt. I tossed my Champ Monarch into the basket the other day and it fell through the bottom. This was a pretty new basket too.

I've watched a putt do a somersault in the basket and roll up the side of the basket and out.

Basically he just barely made it over the front of the basket. It caught the lip with the back of the disc which made it roll forward. It then flipped forward on the bottom of the basket, then flipped up and somehow up on the other side of the basket, and slowly out of it completely. Was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I've also had putts bounce out of chains even when it looks perfect... sometimes the basket just doesn't want to catch them.

My most angering moment was actually an ace that bounced out instead of a putt. It came down with a massive spike, hit chains on the way into the basket, hit the bottom of the basket and bounce it up, clipping chains on the way up slowed it down just enough to ROLL over the side of the basket :(

15' par putt bounces twice off the top of the cage, turns up on edge, rolls down a small hill and into an OB parking lot. +1 for the penalty and 2 more shots to make it in for a triple bogey. IN A FRIGGIN' TOURNAMENT! :eek:

I've also had putts bounce out of chains even when it looks perfect... sometimes the basket just doesn't want to catch them.

Agreed. I had a buddy hit center chains and pole and watched it bounce out, something like 5 times in one day. Again in a tourney. He still managed to cash 2nd Rec though.

had one a couple weeks ago that was a little further than arms length away...and for some reason instead of reaching out and dropping the disc in i threw the disc at the basket, hit one of the lips on the pan, it caught the ass end of my putter and kicked it right to my feet...i looked around at everyone and we were all grinning like, "wtf man" but no one wanted to say anything(this was in a mini) oh and the drive was parked, talk about frustrating...after that my mental game was shot...i stopped caring bc i had the whole, "f this game" mentality so i just tried to have a good time taking ace runs on every hole lol

So there was a 5 way tie going into hole 18 at one of our tag matches. I park my drive about 2 ft from the pin. 3 of the other 4 end up getting par and one guy's drive went OB into a parking lot and he's still out searching under cars for his disc. I pick my disc up with my left hand, and am facing to side talking to one of the guys as I go to drop my disc in. Of course my no-look, nonchalant, 2 ft away drop clangs off the side of the basket, and drops to the ground. Nobody would have complained had I just put my disc in the bag, and called it in, instead of shanking a 2 ft putt. Way to go me! So we go to the playoff hole and of course I put my drive right into an OB creek, eliminating myself from the mix. went from surely taking the lowest tag, to getting the 5th lowest all in one careless missed 2 ft putt.

So there was a 5 way tie going into hole 18 at one of our tag matches. I park my drive about 2 ft from the pin. 3 of the other 4 end up getting par and one guy's drive went OB into a parking lot and he's still out searching under cars for his disc. I pick my disc up with my left hand, and am facing to side talking to one of the guys as I go to drop my disc in. Of course my no-look, nonchalant, 2 ft away drop clangs off the side of the basket, and drops to the ground. Nobody would have complained had I just put my disc in the bag, and called it in, instead of shanking a 2 ft putt. Way to go me! So we go to the playoff hole and of course I put my drive right into an OB creek, eliminating myself from the mix. went from surely taking the lowest tag, to getting the 5th lowest all in one careless missed 2 ft putt.

o_O had one of those today FIVE KCUFING FEET, bounced right of the # panel at top, and drops...... I SWEAR I'M NEVER PUTTING WITH MY BAG ON!!!!!!!!!! (my DG bag...that is)

I have banged discs off the basket and top of the chains from within 10 feet more times then I care to remember. The worst ones are those that land on their end and start rolling away from the basket so you are in a worst position than where you started.

My doubles partner, from 2' out, decides to do a casual "butterfly" putt. As he balances disc on his hand it falls off, hits the rim, and falls to the ground. I have to walk back from the next tee to make the putt for him.

On a hanging basket, on a 1' putt, I watched someone who went to lay the disc on the rim and let it flip in. However, because it was a hanging basket, the basket swung away from him with his slight pressure, and disc fell the wrong way, onto the ground. In a tournament.

As for rollaways---my home course is Earlewood, where any missed putt has the potential of rolling 50' or more.

This thread is like an open wound making me relive all the robberies I've had. I just posted recently about my first ever four putt where my last putt - uuugghhh - did almost exactly what you described. Worst putt performance - ever. I've done it with birdie putts to, where you are about to make up some ground and then BAM missed opportunity. Those really sting.

I have too many missed 10 footers to count. I have been better about focusing this year, but I know if I slip there will be another one right around the corner.

My most recent WTF putting moment came last Sunday morning when our local club got together for bag tags. It was a very wooded, decently hard 3. I got a real solid drive which left me maybe 60' feet out with a smatering of trees in the way. I then proceeded to 3 putt to turn a birdie run into an easy par, into a bogey.

And that my friends is the worst feeling in the game. Worse than nailing that tree 5 feet off the tee pad, worse even than shanking one into the disc eater on your course. Nothing hurts my round more than turning a birdie into a bogey (or worse).

I did feel better when on the next hole my buddy 5 putted a brutal hole on his way to a snowman (8).

all these stories are making me feel way better about myself. not that I'm better by any means, quite the opposite really. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who doinks a easy putt from time to time.

Yeah, I was standing there about three feet from the basket, minding my own business. Picked up my putter and casually tossed it into the basket. No chains, just drop it in and call it done, right?

Well, no. The disc hit the rim, bounced a time or two, teetered for a bit more and then flopped out, mocking me all the way down.

Da-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang!!!!!!