• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Funky Bunny Hop at the SOSMP

denny ritner

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Easter weekend will be the first sanctioned event at the Spirit of the Music Park since pre-Covid. I was a bit hesitant to run an event that weekend, thinking that it might be tough to attract players on that holiday weekend. Turns out there seems to be a lot of pent up demand for tournament play and/or the player base has expanded a lot since I last ran an event.

There are now 85 players registered for a one-day C-tier event that is three months away.
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/48551 There are 3 spots left in MA3 and several spots left in each of the women's divisions.

I wanted to give some information about the event, the future of disc golf at the SOSMP and how the two tie together. I have recently moved back to Florida after almost a decade away. I love working in the woods on Maggie and seeing people enjoying playing.

First things first: there is clearly a large number of disc golfers who enjoy coming to the SOSMP and playing Maggie. I have huge gratitude for the work of Patty and Wahoo Young who have run many, many great events at the park and are legendary for their warm hospitality. It's my hope to serve the player base that they've built, grow that base, improve Maggie and add a second course on the property.

A few words on The Funky Bunny Hop. The weekend will include the traditional random-draw doubles on Friday with a 4pm tee time. Saturday's sanctioned event will be 2 rounds of 24 holes with foursomes and shotgun starts. The 6 temporary holes will branch off after hole 4 and return to Maggie on hole 5. The temporary holes will be straight-forward, without OB's, mando's, etc. as to be playable "blind". Sunday will have some sort of organized, non-sanctioned play starting at 11am.

The course is past due for a set of new baskets. I am negotiating with the park on the financing of the baskets as well as legit tee signs, several additional tee pads and funds to tighten up the maintenance. My plan is to use the current Maggie baskets for the second course on property. The second course would be more of a "Permanent Temp Course", without cement pads and a semi-fluid design.

For The Funky Bunny Hop, we're selling tournament hole sponsorships for $50 each. Sponsorship funds will go 50/50 to Pro added cash and the course improvement fund. We will also be selling shots from hole 9's short pad for $1 each to win $50 for an ace throughout the weekend. We're also looking for donations of merchandise to be used for a raffle and/or auction. Sponsorships can be made through:
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/The_Funky_Bunny_Hop_2021/register

I am also looking for a small group of motivated volunteers. I'd really like for some aspiring TD's and/or Course Designers to step up. One or two people who demonstrate the commitment to disc golf at the SOSMP could earn a co-design role for the potential second course.

Longer term visions for the park include hosting two large tournaments per year that feature two permanent courses, plus a temporary third course. I particularly hope to bring back an event to celebrate women in disc golf and highlight the best of the FPO field, simply called "The Rose".

If you are interested in sponsoring, donating or volunteering, please email me:
[email protected]

In flight,
Mark "Denny" Ritner

photo

Hole 18's new basket location, tucked just slightly to the left, but still visible down the fairway.

All the baskets are now in the locations, which will be used for the tournament.

Other course changes: (long pad distances)

Hole 3 is now a 475 ft. Par 4. The tee shot is a 200-250 ft sharp R2L shot, followed by a straight 200-250 ft. tunnel shot. The air space is clear, but the ground still needs to be brush-hogged.

Hole 12 has been shortened to a 350 ft. Par 3. The basket is on the left just past the ditch.

Hey Denny, best of luck with the tournament. The long COVID summer has been a challenge for disc golfers.

I am a huge proponent and donator to course improvement raffles and fund raisers. But honestly, my wallet would stay shut. I have zero interest in donating to the purse of a division I am not playing. Actually, as an AM player, I have no interest in donating to the PRO divisions in any way. Just my opinion, and I hope you take a chunk out of that basket fund.

In light of the 24 hole rounds, only MPO and MA1 will play both rounds from the long tees and all other divisions will play both rounds from the short tees. (The temp holes will only have one tee per hole)

Also note that I've updated the scorecard on discgolfcoursereview:
http://dgcour.se/1853

The long tees are now called the "Royal Blue" and the short tees are now called the "Sky Blue". Pars have been adjusted for the short tees from a par 62 to a par 58 overall. The intention is to bring an even par round on the Sky Blue tees close to a 950 round rating.

All the baskets on Maggie are in the locations that will be used for the tournament.

Looks like you'll have a good turnout, with a decent #if players in a variety of divisions.

Hope all goes well, and Maggie's 1st sanctioned party is enjoyed by all!