• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Growth of Niche Sports

skinner21

* Ace Member *
I am a big Bill Simmons fan on ESPN.com. Today he posted up a mailbag and one of the questions caught my eye. It's about soccer, but it applies to a lot of people on here as well. The "mainstream vs keeping out noobs" debate happens all the time and this piece helps put it in perspective a little bit.

I'll post it below, but here is the jist of it: hardcore fans of niche sports (like DG, soccer (US only), or even hockey) sometimes act the fool. I thought it was an interesting read and I though I'd share.

Q: Soccer still isn't going anywhere in America for this reason: People like me, who only watch soccer whenever the World Cup is on, are hated by actual soccer fans. They would rather have us not watch soccer at all rather than start watching soccer and rooting for the U.S. during the World Cup. It kills them to see people watching who don't normally. I have heard people say things to other people along the lines of "you don't even know the rules" and "if you don't know what's going on then don't watch." Ironically, diehard soccer fans here are actually hurting soccer's progress here in the U.S..
-- Brandon P, Zanesville, Ohio

SG: You just introduced a premise called "The Cult of Status Quo." Sometimes when people become die-hard fans of something that isn't mainstream -- a writer, a band, a player, a TV show, a sport or whatever -- they want to keep that thing the way it is over seeing that thing take off. Why? Because it's cooler to like something that isn't mainstream popular. Because mainstream popularity begets bandwagon fans and people who aren't as sophisticated about that product. Because it's more fun to love something before it takes off than after it takes off.

Hence, it's easier for original fans to dump on newer fans over tolerating them and hoping they advance the cause of whatever they like. I notice this every time I mention the UFC or poker -- there's this bizarre (and totally dismissive backlash), as if I'm not allowed to watch those sports or even mention them because I'm not a real fan. Well, how do you become a real fan? By liking a sport without disliking the core people who like it. So it's a self-perpetuating cycle, and as weird as this sounds, the original fans like it that way. It maintains their ownership of the product. When the product outgrows them (specifically in the case of a creative entity), that's when the core fans start throwing around phrases like "jumped the shark" and "sold out," mostly because they're bitter it's not just them and the product any more.

With soccer, die-hard American fans love the World Cup itself, but they hate everything that comes with it; the World Cup drudges up the same storylines they've learned to despise ("soccer can't take off unless X, Y or Z happens," "our best athletes don't play soccer," "it can never be big here unless there's more scoring" and "they should get rid of offsides," to name four). I don't blame them for reacting negatively to that stuff, but you wouldn't call them welcoming, either. And they have taken a ton of crap over the years, which tends to harden the line between real fans and everyone else. I can tell you that over the past 15 months, when I wrote about soccer a few times and it became clear that it was more than a bandwagon thing, and that I was actually starting to understand what I was watching -- the feedback from die-hards has been tremendous (and much appreciated). They just need to be a little less condescending with neophytes.

For fun, I asked David Hirshey (soccer historian, author of the World Cup Companion) and Michael Davies (TV producer, World Cup blogger) for their takes:

Hirshey: "The question of authenticity among fans is hardly soccer-centric. I started watching 'Mad Men' after the third episode had aired. I have a friend who became obsessed with the series once the first season DVD came out. Now he never misses an episode. Are we bandwagon jumpers? Sure, if you want to view it that way. Me, I just want everyone to love soccer the way I fell for it back in the late 1960s -- when you had to walk ten miles (OK, blocks), in the snow, just to hear the score of a Man U.-Arsenal game. Does being a fan for the past 40 plus years make me any more legitimate than someone who embraced the sport this summer because Landon Donovan scored a dramatic goal in the World Cup or Diego Forlan has great hair? Absolutely not. Are there still so-called 'diehards' who want soccer in this country to remain a kind of secret Skull and Bones society where membership is passed down through generations? Sadly, yes. I say DeJong them in the chest and tell them to get over themselves."

Davies: "I completely agree that many diehard soccer fans in the U.S. have learned to become just as annoying and condescending as diehard soccer fans in England and all over the world. Globalization is a wonderful thing. But that doesn't seem to be the main premise of the Q from Zanesville. What BP is actually arguing is that soccer still isn't going anywhere in the U.S. And whatever Glenn Beck says, it's just tough to argue against the empirical data -- TV ratings, website traffic, bar tabs. They're all going up during and around soccer games. That seems to indicate that however annoying or casual the fans are, or however annoying they are to each other, they are still watching. Yes, the World Cup more than anything else. But U.S. interest in the English Premier League and Champions League and the ratings and website traffic surrounding those leagues is growing significantly too. There are even people who watch Major League Soccer. And that may be the biggest miracle of all. And the biggest proof that soccer must be going somewhere here. It's like Daniel Kellison's [former executive producer of 'The Man Show' and 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'] heterosexuality test -- any man can have sex with a model. But only the most heterosexual of men can bring himself to have sex with a truly unattractive woman. The fact that American soccer fans can sit through 90 minutes of MLS is proof of a love of soccer beyond anything the rest of the world can possibly fathom."

Good post / information Skinner.

I personally agree with the vast majority of what was stated there. A LOT of people have already "pulled" the 'I've been playing dg since the dinosaurs roamed the earth' thing in a condescending manner...as if to say, '...you may be better, but I've paid my dues (and therefore should be respected more)'.
And that attitude is hurting the growth of dg.
But - as they said - it's not just 'dg-centric'; it's the way of insecure (most) people.
If more people worried about HELPING newbies instead of trying to impress (beat) them, things would be better.

Karl

I'm like, "Is it cool to watch soccer or not?!? JUST TELL ME!"

if i had a quarter for every friend of mine that i dragged kicking and screaming to the disc golf course, lured by the promise of beer and smoke only for them to come by and whip my ass a scant two months later...

I know right. I was trying to follow then my mind would wander. Anyone have the cliff's notes?

I'm like, "Is it cool to watch soccer or not?!? JUST TELL ME!"

here is the jist of it: hardcore fans of niche sports (like DG, soccer (US only), or even hockey) sometimes act the fool.

It really goes back to the whole "2 disc dueche" stuff and even the way many noobs are treated on here.

Because DG doesn't have a development process like other sports that have coaches and mentors teaching the ins and outs of the game and course ettiquete (sp?) a lot of people hate noobs. Because Lord knows we were never that way. :\

I have even seen people post things on here along the lines of, "I don't want the sport to grow, the courses get crowded, more litter, etc."

It's just weird.

I have met some elitist DG'ers but I don't think that's the norm and I have seen a few condescending remarks on here, but not a lot. I would still be classified a noob and have a lot to learn; so far most DG'ers are willing to help.

I have seen some of the threads too tho, I like to see all the new peep's but it does get annoying to have a group of 6 in front of me having a party and not letting my group of two play through. I guess there's just not enough education on DG courtesy. I think my DG etiquette came from a background of Ball Golf and maybe that's not the standard with a lot of young people on the courses.

Good post / information Skinner.

I personally agree with the vast majority of what was stated there. A LOT of people have already "pulled" the 'I've been playing dg since the dinosaurs roamed the earth' thing in a condescending manner...as if to say, '...you may be better, but I've paid my dues (and therefore should be respected more)'.
And that attitude is hurting the growth of dg.
But - as they said - it's not just 'dg-centric'; it's the way of insecure (most) people.
If more people worried about HELPING newbies instead of trying to impress (beat) them, things would be better.

Karl

haters.jpg

For the most part, DGers in my area are pretty friendly to noobs. There are some douche bags around, but not too many.

So many younger people play soccer that I would hardly consider it a niche sport. I used to play and the only reason I didn't watch soccer on tv is because it was never on. The World Cup and summer Olympics are my only chances to watch. Not really a niche sport to me.

Besides DG, what are some other niche sports? Only things coming to mind right now are cricket and squash...

Because DG doesn't have a development process like other sports that have coaches and mentors teaching the ins and outs of the game and course ettiquete (sp?) a lot of people hate noobs. Because Lord knows we were never that way. :\

This.

And I've never seen any elitist soccer fans around here, if you like soccer you're pretty much welcome b/c it's definitely a minority here in the South where football, basketball, baseball, and NASCAR *sigh* are king.

I'm sure there are hipster sports fans out there but they've got to be the minority; it's a pain in the a$$ to follow an obscure sport, even soccer.

So many younger people play soccer that I would hardly consider it a niche sport. I used to play and the only reason I didn't watch soccer on tv is because it was never on. The World Cup and summer Olympics are my only chances to watch. Not really a niche sport to me.

Besides DG, what are some other niche sports? Only things coming to mind right now are cricket and squash...

Ultimate, water polo, rugby, field hockey, hai lai, cricket (in NA anyway), guts, and so on

basically anything that isn't the big 6 (or whatever the number is)

badminton? ping pong? water polo? DDC? :D

Competitively, badminton and ping pong aren't too common, but due to their recreational use, I'm not sure if they're niche.

DDC... double disc court? Just googled... looks super fun :D .

Ultimate, water polo, rugby, field hockey, hai lai, cricket (in NA anyway), guts, and so on

basically anything that isn't the big 6 (or whatever the number is)

HAI LAI. That game looks so scary. I wouldn't even have the guts to try playing.

I'm relatively new to disc golf (about a year of playing) but I haven't encountered a single person who seemed to have the elitist attitude. I do get that feeling a little more about soccer fans in the US however. Interestingly, I was lucky enough to go to Tanzania this summer and talked with the locals about soccer (obviously HUGE there) and they were incredibly helpful to our soccer-illiterate group and glad to help us out with things we didn't know.

I think one key difference is that when you are just a fan of something, the only way to show your 'supremacy' is by claiming to be a bigger fan than someone. Since that is inherently subjective, a fan might be threatened by another 'bandwagon' fan who is also acting like a die-hard. In disc golf, you can simply settle the matter on the course.

Latest posts