• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NFL QB:Touring Pro Comps

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
Someone said something on Facebook, and I disagree with it... Here's the graphic I saw, followed by my own response comps. Give your own!

1693850124605.png

McBeth:Brady - I'm in on this one. They both started winning right away, and never really stopped.

Eagle:Goff - Eagle was a prodigy who has mostly fulfilled his potential and went a long ways young but hasn't managed to win the big one. There are no questions about his arm talent but questions are EVERYWHERE about his ability to perform with it all on the line.

Calvin:Burrow - Calvin wasn't really a known commodity until he burst onto the pro scene, much like Burrow as a late blooming senior in college. They both keep winning, but they just haven't quite been able to get there. Everyone can see the greatness, but it hasn't translated.... yet.

Orum:Ryan - Orum is a lil younger, so give me some leeway here using a guy who won't start in 2023. Matty O has 11 top 10s, 6 top 2s, and a runner-up finish at Worlds. In his long career he's done everything but win the big one. Two Matts who spent most of their careers competing in the South but couldn't quite get a ring.

Simon:Mayfield - Hear me out. A couple of born show-men. Baker and Simon both have been best known for their social media/commercials. Simon managed to finally have a real break out season, getting some tour wins last year. The equivalent to Baker Mayfield managing to have a season where he made the Browns look like a respectable franchise.

Barela:Herbert - Just the most supremely gifted throwers, both insanely highly touted as youth, neither one seems to ever quite get to the mountaintop that we expect them to. Barela this weekend may have pushed himself to a new level at Worlds.... and maybe in 2023-24 Herbert will do the same with the Chargers.

Redalen:Lawrence - Redalen just got here. For the past year there were obvious growing pains. He's been throwing some of the most insane rounds on tour since early in 2022 but honestly a lot of the results last year were rough for the kid. Still, a prodigy. This aligns with Lawrence's rookie season and with the way he busted out in his second season.

Buhr:Hurts - Two guys that have simply done nothing but win in their young careers. Buhr may not have had to fight through the perception of limitations that Hurts had, but its clear now that Hurts is supremely talented. Both have won a lot at a very young age with Buhr getting a Major under his belt and Hurts driving a team to the Super Bowl.

Wysocki:Rodgers - Wysocki won a pair of World titles in his early-mid 20s, but ever since has been dogged by the reputation that he can't "win the big one" despite multiple stretches of time where he was regarded on a week-by-week basis as the best player out on tour. People simply don't believe these guys will show up when the pressure is at its highest, despite having all the talent to run away with a championship in any given year.

Conrad:Wilson - James Conrad wasn't supposed to be this guy. He wasn't some youth prodigy, but when he got on tour it was instantly clear he had a few skills that were truly world class. He worked his ass off to be regarded as a premiere player, and before we knew what hit us he was a World Champion. He will never be regarded as in the running for The Best In The World but the man is a gamer and a champ at the highest level.

Barsby:Stafford - BONUS! Gregg Barsby was a prominent junior player and got his first taste of touring at age 16 up and down Cali and getting his first cash at Worlds. Stafford was one of the youngest QBs ever drafted. Both of them went on to spend their careers toiling as prolific pros who couldn't quite win anything.... before busting through and getting a ring in their 30s.

I like yours a lot better than the picture but I'll throw in some other options!

Eagle/Lamar: Both electric physical talents undone by injuries. Maybe they can still put it all together?

KJ USA/Dak Prescott: Two incredibly popular players whose lack of success recently has people wondering: "Are you just a sexy Eric Oakley/Kirk Cousins?"

I think the Burrow comp fits Isaac Robinson a bit better, especially with both of them surviving off of moxie and accuracy in lieu of arm strength.

Adam Hammes/Kirk Cousins are doppelgängers for each other in more ways than one.

Joel Freeman/Tua: Polarizing evangelicals who seem to always have an excuse for their poor play.

I like yours a lot better than the picture but I'll throw in some other options!

Eagle/Lamar: Both electric physical talents undone by injuries. Maybe they can still put it all together?

KJ USA/Dak Prescott: Two incredibly popular players whose lack of success recently has people wondering: "Are you just a sexy Eric Oakley/Kirk Cousins?"

I think the Burrow comp fits Isaac Robinson a bit better, especially with both of them surviving off of moxie and accuracy in lieu of arm strength.

Adam Hammes/Kirk Cousins are doppelgängers for each other in more ways than one.

Joel Freeman/Tua: Polarizing evangelicals who seem to always have an excuse for their poor play.
Yeah, I think the big difference between me and you/the graphic is that I tried really hard to maintain a focus on career championship/playoff success first, with their age/opportunities for that success heavily weighted, followed by personality/intangibles as less consequential secondary considerations.

Only one I can really disagree with his is Simon:Mayfield. If we can use any historic qb I'd say he's more like Brett Favre. Supreme arm talent who takes too many chances and doesn't always stay focused but damnit is he fun to watch

Only one I can really disagree with his is Simon:Mayfield. If we can use any historic qb I'd say he's more like Brett Favre. Supreme arm talent who takes too many chances and doesn't always stay focused but damnit is he fun to watch
Historically - I think thats a pretty great one. The ultimate outcomes aren't as important to him as his own supreme confidence in his ability to do something absolutely amazing.

Would Michael Vick also work? Although, obviously, the Vick situation involves a shameful period of behavior in terms of the dog fighting ring and jail time.... much like Vick returned from a lengthy absence to achieve his greatest conventional success, Simon Lizotte returned from his significant elbow injury to his. But neither has QUITE got to the top of that mountain - Vick didn't get to the Super Bowl and Simon hasn't been at the top of a Major. They're both incredibly flashy players, who can break out and do things no one else can in a different way from Favre, but still similar in that excess of confidence.

Historically - I think thats a pretty great one. The ultimate outcomes aren't as important to him as his own supreme confidence in his ability to do something absolutely amazing.

Would Michael Vick also work? Although, obviously, the Vick situation involves a shameful period of behavior in terms of the dog fighting ring and jail time.... much like Vick returned from a lengthy absence to achieve his greatest conventional success, Simon Lizotte returned from his significant elbow injury to his. But neither has QUITE got to the top of that mountain - Vick didn't get to the Super Bowl and Simon hasn't been at the top of a Major. They're both incredibly flashy players, who can break out and do things no one else can in a different way from Favre, but still similar in that excess of confidence.
Vick is more of an Anthon type IMO...

Vick is more of an Anthon type IMO...

Vick seemed to genuinely regret his transgressions and made the most of his second chance. Just judging from some of Anthon's social media posts I'm not sure the same could be said for him

Was thinking more about this topic and wanted to do a take-two. Keep in mind this is more about the player's styles and athletic similarities rather than personalities.

Paul is Brady, pretty obviously.
Ricky is Peyton Manning - Hasn't won as many as he should have thank to Paul, supreme talent but still seems to underperform in the biggest moments
Simon is still Brett Favre.
Eagle would be Aaron Rodgers maybe? Potentially mount Rushmore talent but always seems to be held back by something.
GG is John Elway
Ezra is Trevor Lawrence
Big Jerm is Big Ben
Uli is Doug Flutie
Sexton is Phillip Rivers
Calvin is Mahomes right down to the haircut half the time
Matty O would kill me for comparing him to a Georgia Bulldog but he's gotta be Matt Stafford, he sure ain't Mac Jones
Clemons is Tua (gotta get a lefty in there)

Couple of throwbacks for fun...

Climo is Joe Montana
Stokely is Dan Marino
Barry Shultz I don't know enough about his style to make a fair comparison- I would guess Troy Aikman?
Philo is Ryan Fitzpatrick - the ultimate journeyman.