• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coming Together: DGPT Launches United Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first question is - shouldn't it be up to the women if they want to compete with Trans athletes?
I played the Toboggan today, and I'm too tired to respond to the rest of your post. Can't promise I'll be motivated later, but I might give it a shot tomorrow.

But this bit? I'll bite.

Name one other sport in which the opinions and feelings of competitors can see their rivals banned, for no offense other than being there.

There isn't one, and with good reason. A lot of competitors would raise issue with their rivals and try to have them banned, just to have easier competition in future events. Aside from that, and more importantly, few competitors have the depth or breadth of knowledge to make an informed decision on the matter, no less a genuinely fair and equitable one, or one that doesn't put the organizations running or governing the sport in an actionable position (ie- one where they won't get sued for say, discrimination).

In the end, in events where trans women are allowed to compete, it is still up to cis women if they want to compete with us. They have every opportunity not to play, if they feel it compromises their morals. I would still encourage them to play regardless, and do my best to educate them about the realities of trans inclusion, but by no means would I try to force them to enter a tournament, if it was going to cause them significant distress. I know how I feel at a tournament, knowing how many eyes are probably watching me with suspicion, but I'm a lot more resilient than most. No one should have to feel that way, or feel like they're obligated to put up with it. There are enough events out there, that in any given area there is usually at least one other tournament that wouldn't have one of the less than 100 trans disc golfers at it, somewhere nearby.

Aside from that, and more importantly, few competitors have the depth or breadth of knowledge to make an informed decision on the matter, no less a genuinely fair and equitable one
Wow. Just Wow.
So disregard the feelings of women who play the sport. Lucky for them, they have you and other trans women to tell them what is fair with your "depth or breadth of knowledge" that allows you (but not them) to make "an informed decision on the matter."

Sounds just like all the men who long ago (and still do in some instances) tell women that they did not have the intellect to be doctors or attend higher education or work in particular fields.

Fairness is a perspective. If women competitors feel it isn't fair - then it isn't to them FULL STOP!

Wow. Just Wow.
So disregard the feelings of women who play the sport. Lucky for them, they have you and other trans women to tell them what is fair with your "depth or breadth of knowledge" that allows you (but not them) to make "an informed decision on the matter."

Sounds just like all the men who long ago (and still do in some instances) tell women that they did not have the intellect to be doctors or attend higher education or work in particular fields.

Fairness is a perspective. If women competitors feel it isn't fair - then it isn't to them FULL STOP!
I should've expected that was a trap, by how you worded the rest of your comment. Mea culpa, everybody.

I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth, in the future, especially when you jump to a conclusion in direct contradiction of what I said.

At any rate, despite your obviously coming to the table in bad faith, allow me to clarify for those who come after you, since I don't care to discuss this with you any further (and I don't owe you any further discussion, so don't whine about me cutting you off):

It is one thing to feel something isn't fair as a competitor. It is another thing entirely to govern an entire sport. The latter requires objectivity, to be done in an equitable manner, and not run afoul of pesky things like anti discrimination laws. Just because someone FEELS something is unfair, that doesn't mean it IS unfair. A very small number of years ago, people using the same words being used against trans women felt it was unfair for black athletes to compete with white ones. They were no more correct in assuming their feelings were enough reason to declare unfair advantages, than anyone saying the same about trans women. If the science says it, that's one thing - but the best available science right now says there is no advantage.

I have addressed COUNTLESS times on this forum alone, the shoddy science used by ICONS, and the players they back. They use the same Hilton and Lundberg study that is so deeply flawed it merited THREE PAGES in an analysis of the current state of science on the subject of whether it is fair to include trans women in sport, just going point by point with the different ways that study was improperly and unethically done. They use studies that ascribe biological causation to things that come from societal and familial influences. The list of ways the science currently used to argue for the exclusion of trans women in women's sport are objectively wrong is long, well researched, and well known. Your ignorance of that doesn't mean we have to start this whole debate over for the thirtieth time.

When people use science like that, and refuse to even listen when others point out its flaws, or show them better science, they lose the right to claim they're making an informed decision, or that it has anything to do with fairness. They are making a willfully ignorant decision in order to justify acting upon their hate, and there is no place for that in governing a sport, ESPECIALLY when it calls for codifying discrimination in the rules.

Last edited:
I did not join just to comment on this thread - please don't flatter yourself.

I did not put words in your mouth - I actually quoted you directly.

You argue like a sexist man. You assume you have all the rights and women have none. Your comment that women can drop out of an event if they don't think it is fair is a perfect example of this.

Science is not as definitive as you claim. If it was, we wouldn't have courts and sporting bodies still trying to figure this situation out.

All of my questions are in earnest. And for the record you are doing exactly what people fear - you simply steamroll over anyone who questions anything. Your statement that "few competitors have the depth or breadth of knowledge to make an informed decision on the matter" is so elitist and self serving as well as patronizing.

Like I said above, I have questions. You just keep saying that you have read the science and keep "explaining" why you are right and women just have to accept what you say. I keep asking, doesn't what women feel matter? You keep saying it doesn't. In fact you say if they don't like it they can drop out. So if they all dropped out and you were the only one competing, would you feel that you had succeeded in what you wanted as a trans athlete?

You said you wouldn't respond to me and I am perfectly OK with that. You say that you cut me off but I'm not sure how you "cut off" someone on a public discussion board. Perhaps you feel like you have some sort of ownership over this conversation above and beyond everyone else. Why not let others have a chance to express their thoughts? Why not let others tell you how trans athletes competing makes them feel? Why not respect their standpoints?

I am not going to respond until someone else other than you responds. I think everyone fully understands your standpoint. It would be nice to create an environment here where people feel safe to express views even if they don't agree with yours. Maybe give that a try?

If they changed to accommodate female (by which I'm assuming you mean cis women, because that's the trendy distinction that excludes trans women this week) disc golfers by including trans women, that would suggest there are enough cis women who want inclusion to make most of the rest of the season inclusive.

By all means though, answer the question I asked. Why exactly should we be supportive of being told, "the new plan is part time discrimination", when that means we will still be discriminated against?
No. The accomodations were for the logistical challenges.

A lot of this discussion has revolved around legal arguments and "scientific" evidence but isn't this really a sociological issue? let me start by saying that I am not well versed in the issue of trans athletes competing in women's sport so I will try to ask more questions here than give opinion. Please do not be offended by my questions as they are honest. I find the backlash in these discussions is so profound that many people do not voice their opinions simply to limit the amount of vitriol that they endure.

My first question is - shouldn't it be up to the women if they want to compete with Trans athletes? I know that trans athletes have been fighting for their right to participate but I can tell you that women have been fighting for the right to participate much much longer and in every single venue in society (the right to vote, work, be educated etc etc). I really don't think "science" has much to do with it." It is my understanding that many of the women in the FPO do not feel it is fair to compete against trans athletes. I know when I see a 6'4" 190lb trans athlete competing against a 5'2" 125lb female athlete - it doesn't seem fair to me. It has been a profoundly difficult fight for female athletes to be able to earn a living at sport. Just look at the Canadian Women's Soccer team as an example. They out perform the men's team in every competition yet they still fight to be paid the same. It's embarrassing and wrong, but it goes to show you how difficult it is for women to make a living at sport while male athletes take it for granted that they are paid to play.

My next question is - aren't trans athletes men genetically who are taking durgs for cosmetic reasons that have a side effect of being perfermance de-enhancing drugs? If a male athlete did not take any drugs but wanted to wear their hair long, wear a sports bra and take on a female gender performance (I realize this is a very traditional female sterertype but I simply use it as an example), would they not still be welcome to compete in the men's field? I don't understand why men who take drugs to change their appearance think it is fair to women who did not have the advantage of building muscle and stature through puberty with male hormones, to force them to compete with them. I certainly don't understand how taking women to court to force them to compete with them is supposed to be seen as inclusive behaviour. Remember, women are also continuously fighting for their rights. Do women get paid the same as men in disc golf? Or any other sport for that matter? The gains women have made for themselves have been hard fought. Do the women have a say in this? What do the women athletes say?
Simply......no. You do not let a poll of current paid athletes determine who they choose to allow to compete against them. They indeed are the only ones with a vested interest and that is also why they have the most jaded take. Would you support their rights to sign an accord to prevent players from playing based on skin color?

Simply......no. You do not let a poll of current paid athletes determine who they choose to allow to compete against them. They indeed are the only ones with a vested interest and that is also why they have the most jaded take.
Well yeah, obviously the pro tour would resist unionization activities.

Simply......no. You do not let a poll of current paid athletes determine who they choose to allow to compete against them. They indeed are the only ones with a vested interest and that is also why they have the most jaded take. Would you support their rights to sign an accord to prevent players from playing based on skin color?
That analogy is stale and laughable. Trans-women are not female.

Nobody ever woke up black and needed affirmation from everyone else as to whether they are black or not. Hence the conundrum of trans athletes.

A few thoughts:

- Please don't fall for the people intentionally raising the temperature as a means of provoking what will shut down the conversation. (I know this sounds like tone policing. All I can say is I don't object on anything other than practical grounds. I'd like this conversation not to be dust binned.)

- Some are using ambiguity in language to argue for an interpretation of FPO that isn't warranted. Gender and sex terms are frequently used interchangeably and typically aren't referencing chromosomes, as a person's chromosomes aren't actually detectable absent special measures. The fact that the protected divisions use a term that can be interpreted narrowly as referring to chromosomal sex isn't an indication that this is or was in any way intended.

- For proof of this, simply refer to the existing policy which is explicitly gender based, allowing trans women to compete in roughly 99.9% of gender protected events.

- If one genuinely has questions about science and reasoning, there is a wealth of information in posts earlier in this thread. These posts also provide links and reference even more information. This isn't to say that one can't ask questions, but rather that the information has been freely offered and repeatedly. Perhaps I'll mine that for a copy pasta, but people also tend to object to or fail to engage with copy pasta. Thus, if you genuinely want answers, it's far more productive to be somewhat patient and to demonstrate a good faith effort to listen if someone objects to what you are saying.

Last edited:
My first question is - shouldn't it be up to the women if they want to compete with Trans athletes?
The phrasing that fits physical biological reality better is: "shouldn't it be up to the women if they want to compete with all women?"
I know that trans athletes have been fighting for their right to participate but I can tell you that women have been fighting for the right to participate much much longer and in every single venue in society (the right to vote, work, be educated etc etc).
Their fights have both been a part of societal existence on some level throughout, at least, western history, and I'd argue modern world history. This is more a sign of how much further ahead of trans women that women generally are in their own fight for their existence as equal partners in society. Trans women haven't had an opportunity to fight openly for this kind of right because they've been beaten down in every single venue to the point that merely existing as they wanted to exist, no matter their other demographic realities, was reason enough to put them to death. The mere acceptance of their presence in a society is often regarded even now as a sign that a society is decrepit. Neither fight has been going on longer. Women are further along in theirs.
I really don't think "science" has much to do with it." It is my understanding that many of the women in the FPO do not feel it is fair to compete against trans athletes. I know when I see a 6'4" 190lb trans athlete competing against a 5'2" 125lb female athlete - it doesn't seem fair to me.
Where the sport has a deep female pool of athletes the differences tend to be less striking. The 5'2 125 lb women on the disc golf tour are only there because the field is immature, not because 5'2 125 is ideal size for women's disc golf. In swimming, for example, the fifth-year senior that won a collegiate event at the national level, Lia Thomas, is 6'1 140. By comparison - Katie Ledecky, the best women's swimmer on the planet is 6' 160. Thomas is actually slender compared to the current top swimmer in NCAA Regan Smith, who carries 125 lbs of weight on a frame 6" shorter. The disparity isn't going to be so big - even in gymnastics or figure skating where theoretically size and therefore power could lead to more fantastic maneuvers there's a tradeoff in terms of mass/length and what the power has to be to overcome that mass.
It has been a profoundly difficult fight for female athletes to be able to earn a living at sport. Just look at the Canadian Women's Soccer team as an example. They out perform the men's team in every competition yet they still fight to be paid the same. It's embarrassing and wrong, but it goes to show you how difficult it is for women to make a living at sport while male athletes take it for granted that they are paid to play.
Absolutely agree. Tangentially, your soccer notes bring to mind this episode of Off the Looking Glass: - interesting discussion of the FA (football association) ban on women in Britain, in the context of Euro championships 2022, starts at 41:15.
My next question is - aren't trans athletes men genetically who are taking durgs for cosmetic reasons that have a side effect of being perfermance de-enhancing drugs?
Women who are trans are women anatomically, physiologically, in terms of the way their genotypes express phenotypically resulting in their physical body. The imaging of the brains of people who do not conform to traditional gender expression makes it clear that they have actual physically different brains. And, frankly, the brain is the nexus of your identity. It is the most important actual physical gendered organ in the body, in terms of determining if you are a man or a woman, among other elements of your identity.

The big problem in the discussion is that the people arguing that women who are trans are men treat the brain as a mystical lockbox, such that they won't accept that there are actual physical organs in the body, much less the most important one associated with identity, that have been female since fetal development. AFAIC - we are referring to people who were born women. Period. Any other insinuation is, anatomically, incorrect.
If a male athlete did not take any drugs but wanted to wear their hair long, wear a sports bra and take on a female gender performance (I realize this is a very traditional female sterertype but I simply use it as an example), would they not still be welcome to compete in the men's field? I don't understand why men who take drugs to change their appearance think it is fair to women who did not have the advantage of building muscle and stature through puberty with male hormones, to force them to compete with them.
There is so much variability within women's sports. We're complaining about what can be called above-average women's athletes, women who have been marginalized where-ever they've chosen to try to exist as themselves by the way, competing against other women.
I certainly don't understand how taking women to court to force them to compete with them is supposed to be seen as inclusive behaviour. Remember, women are also continuously fighting for their rights. Do women get paid the same as men in disc golf? Or any other sport for that matter? The gains women have made for themselves have been hard fought. Do the women have a say in this? What do the women athletes say?
Some women are being discriminated against by other women. Why shouldn't the women being discriminated against be taking the women discriminating against them to court?

Reminds me of the current situation in the NBA - there are, almost every year, athletes capable of making a living on an NBA contract that are 18 years old (arguably Scoot Henderson was ready at 17). The structures are in place in the NBA to round out their games - they exist already to support the 19 year olds that are allowed to make a living on NBA deals. But there's absolutely no incentive for the players to fight for the 18 year olds, because the 18 year olds would be taking jobs from current players.

The owners are happy to align with this, because they worry about the downside of their own institutional incompetence (crossing their fingers at overcoming it more often with the additional and more formalized year of collegiate competition).

The NBAPA, led by the players, is the best organization to fight for the players. Simultaneously they are the worst organization to evaluate for inclusion of additional competitors for jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.