• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Q Series eligibility question

Skamanda

Double Eagle Member
Any Q series event TDs on here? I had one of Throw Proud ask about the eligibility of transgender players in the events that are part of the Q series.

1000013499.png

The wording on that is particularly vague. The PDGA's requirements part is fairly clear, but the "other requirements" part has us curious.

These events aren't owned by the DGPT, but they are branded by, and in support of the DGPT - whose gender inclusion policy says if you haven't had bottom surgery, you can't play.

Does anyone know of the Q series is being required to adhere to the DGPT's more restrictive requirements, or if the "other requirements" is just for other things?

I don't know and I would not take my answer as definitive in any way but I will answer anyway. The verbiage describes the "other requirements" as being set by the tournament director. TD's do not have the ability to set that type of policy for their individual PDGA sanctioned events- the DGPT itself has that ability through a special agreement with the PDGA. That agreement cites "Elite Series tours" specifically. These are by definition NOT Elite series events so I would be surprised if the DGPT Elite rule can be enforced.

My guess (and only a guess) is that this is more of a question for the DGPT than it is for the TDs of the events (Unless the question is really just about "can I play" and not "can I get Q-Series points at them"). These events are primarily just A-Tiers, which means normal PDGA rules would apply. If you can play an A-Tier, you should be able to play these A-Tiers. The real question is likely whether the DGPT will actually award the Q-Series points to people who would be ineligible to compete on the tour, since that would kind of defeat the purpose. The other question would be whether those folks could actually qualify for the Finale, which sounds like it basically WILL just be a DGPT event and not a PDGA sanctioned A-Tier, B-Tier, etc.

This seems like a situation very similar to USDGC qualifying. The USDGC (or in this case the DGPT) simply pick out some events and based on the finishings of those events they award their own hypothetical points/rewards. Just like if the USDGC said "This tournament qualifies for USDGC entry" and the tournament used that in their advertising. It wouldn't change that the tournament is just a regular PDGA tournament.

My guess (and only a guess) is that this is more of a question for the DGPT than it is for the TDs of the events (Unless the question is really just about "can I play" and not "can I get Q-Series points at them"). These events are primarily just A-Tiers, which means normal PDGA rules would apply. If you can play an A-Tier, you should be able to play these A-Tiers. The real question is likely whether the DGPT will actually award the Q-Series points to people who would be ineligible to compete on the tour, since that would kind of defeat the purpose. The other question would be whether those folks could actually qualify for the Finale, which sounds like it basically WILL just be a DGPT event and not a PDGA sanctioned A-Tier, B-Tier, etc.

This seems like a situation very similar to USDGC qualifying. The USDGC (or in this case the DGPT) simply pick out some events and based on the finishings of those events they award their own hypothetical points/rewards. Just like if the USDGC said "This tournament qualifies for USDGC entry" and the tournament used that in their advertising. It wouldn't change that the tournament is just a regular PDGA tournament.
Since I posted this, the TD of one of the Q series did confirm basically that. It's still just an A tier, and the PDGA's eligibility requirements are what applies. Q series points may be awarded, but if it's anything like when Nova Politte won what should've been a qualification to a DGPT event last year, any actual prizes (in this case, the silver or full tour card, and probably the berth to play in the Q series finale) would get passed down to the next player in the standings who is deemed eligible.

So what happened with Nova?
She won a spot in a major (? One of the tiers trans women were banned from last year), and they gave it to 2nd place without (as I remember - someone correct me if I'm wrong) even acknowledging she'd earned it, but wasn't eligible.