• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coming Together: DGPT Launches United Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

seedlings

* Ace Member *

Coming Together: DGPT Launches United Series

Coming Together: DGPT Launches United Series - Disc Golf Pro Tour

July 25, 2023: The Disc Golf Pro Tour (DGPT) is pleased to announce an opportunity for the disc golf community to come together and chart a new path forward with the creation of the DGPT United Series. The United Series is a new event designation that will be assigned to select FPO competitions beginning with the 2023 Ledgestone Open. Transgender women are eligible to compete in the FPO division in United Series events if any one of the three sets of criteria in C.1, C.2, or C.3. of the PDGA Policy on Eligibility for Gender-Based Divisions are met. Implementing this standard means that eligibility to compete in a United Series Event will be rooted in recognizing and celebrating gender identity.

The United Series designation has now been applied to the five recently impacted events, as announced by the DGPT on July 14(Discraft's Ledgestone Open, Discraft's Great Lakes Open, American Flying Discs Open, Discmania Open, and the MVP Open). The FPO divisions in these events are now restored and will take place at their original locations. In addition, the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA) has announced that the PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships will also be open to any transgender women who meet C.1, C.2, or C.3 of the PDGA Policy on Eligibility for Gender-Based Divisions. All restored events will receive the same resources and coverage as a typical Disc Golf Pro Tour event. Future events that do not carry the United Series designation will continue to require that transgender women competitors meet the C.3 criterion of the PDGA's eligibility policy (Mid America Open, LWS Open, and DGPT Championship).

"We're happy to deliver a solution that's supported by the DGPT Tour Card Players on both ends of this issue. Gender eligibility is a topic that transcends the sport of disc golf and is destined to be adjudicated in larger sports and bigger courts," said Jeff Spring, DGPT CEO & Tour Director. "Last week's announcement has affirmed my belief that the sport of disc golf must find a middle road. Over the past three seasons, the DGPT has shown that we embrace and celebrate inclusion while acknowledging and working to address the serious issues regarding competitive fairness. The United Series allows us to preserve and offer both. We've been in constant discussions with the players on this; listening, learning, and forging this durable long-term solution for professional disc golf that all can support."

The DGPT has been working with many FPO players to find and adopt a solution that will ensure long-term sustainability.

Kristin Tattar, the current leader of the DGPT Point Series and reigning PDGA World Champion, had this to say on the United Series, "The Disc Golf Pro Tour has provided me a platform to showcase my skills and test them against the best players in the world. I believe they have had a big part of me becoming the player I am today, and I'm forever grateful for having the opportunity to be a part of it. That being said, I support them in finding solutions in these tough times and trying to find common ground in a very sensitive area, to make sure we still have a place to excel as disc golf professionals."

"The recent changes in the FPO events initially left me disheartened and full of questions, and I know I wasn't alone in that feeling," said Paige Pierce, five-time PDGA World Champion. "However, after connecting with Jeff and taking part in a series of extensive discussions with other players, we arrived at a united decision. It's not a perfect outcome for anyone, but this new vision allows us all to get back to disc golf and focus on the beauty of our shared sport. I would be playing in the United Series if it wasn't for my recent injury, and I feel respected, heard, and uplifted by the Pro Tour's commitment to listen to player feedback and find a workable long-term solution for all players."

"I'm very happy with the DGPT's decision to reinstate these FPO events under the United Series designation," said Ella Hansen, a DGPT Tour Card Player. "I think it's the best solution for all FPO players based on my knowledge of this highly complicated situation. I'm grateful for the hard work of the DGPT to ensure the continuity of the FPO division for this year and into the future, and I look forward to playing in the United Series!"

The United Series will function as a co-existing event designation alongside the regular DGPT Silver, Elite, Elite+, and Playoff designations. For the remainder of the 2023 season, events that carry the United Series designation will award both standard DGPT points and co-equal United Series points. For example, the Ledgestone Open (Elite+) FPO division winner will receive 150 standard DGPT points and 150 United Series points. The DGPT will also award co-equal United Series points at the 2023 PDGA Pro World Championships. At all DGPT events, the eligibility policy in place (based on event designation) will inform which players are able to compete, and points standings will not supersede those policies.

The 2023 United Series will culminate at the MVP Open, and the top three competitors in United Series points will receive bonus payouts. The DGPT is committed to maintaining a long-term solution, including the possible extension of the United Series into 2024 and beyond, and will release more information on 2024 plans at a later date.

The DGPT is in support of the decisions made by all members of the disc golf community to live their life in the most authentic way possible and celebrates the courage necessary to make these decisions. Additionally, the Tour remains committed to creating a safe and harassment-free environment both onsite and online for all competitors in accordance with the DGPT community guidelines.

The first-ever event with United Series designation will be Discraft's Ledgestone Open in Peoria, IL, August 3-6. Live coverage will be available on the Disc Golf Network with post-production coverage on DGPT Media Partner YouTube channels.

Here's the PDGA guidelines part c, 1-3:

C. Transgender – Male to Female

Players who were assigned male gender at birth and are taking hormone replacement therapy and/or testosterone suppression medication related to gender transition or who have undergone gender affirming surgery are eligible to compete in gender-based divisions contested at PDGA Amateur Majors, Pro Master Majors and all other PDGA events sanctioned at A-Tier level and below if any one of the three sets of criteria in C.1, C.2, or C.3 are met:

1. Transgender Hormone Therapy

1. The player has been taking continuous hormone therapy under medical supervision for a period of at least 24 months before competing in a gender-based division; and
    2. The player's total testosterone level in serum has been below 2.0 nmol/L for at least 24 months prior to the PDGA event, demonstrated by at least three blood tests throughout this time interval; and
    3. The player's total testosterone level in serum must continue to remain below 2.0 nmol/L in the future. If the player ceases hormone treatment, they are no longer eligible to compete in gender-based divisions and must inform the PDGA immediately; and
    4. The player is required to inform the PDGA if hormone treatment is suspended or if their testosterone level in serum is or was above 2.0 nmol/L as demonstrated by a blood test in the relevant period. In both cases, the 24-month period will restart once the player can demonstrate by a blood test that their testosterone level in serum is again below 2.0 nmol/L
  2. Gender Affirming Surgery

1. Successfully completed male-to-female gender affirming surgery declaration from a physician; and
    2. The total testosterone level in serum has been below 2.0 nmol/L for at least 24 months prior to the PDGA event (combination of blood test verified hormone treatment pre-surgery and time post-surgery).
Players who were assigned male gender at birth are eligible to compete in the gender-based FPO division at PDGA Pro Majors only if the criteria in C.3 is met:

1. Transition Prior to Puberty

1. The player began medical transition (for example, by taking puberty-suppressing medication) during Tanner Stage 2 or before age 12, whichever is later; and
    2. The player continuously maintains a total testosterone level in serum below 2.0 nmol/L.
Organizations which are specifically designated by the PDGA under the terms of an explicit agreement to run Elite Series tours may use any set or subset of the eligibility criteria above at their events. Application of the chosen criteria must comport with the terms of their agreement with the PDGA.

I thought this United Series looked like DGPT had caved, but judging by the hate from y'all maybe I'm wrong?

What don't you guys like about it?

It feels like a combination of "separate but equal" and just kicking the legal can down the road. "Fine, Natalie can play the tournaments in blue states but she's can't win the pro tour and can't play in states with strong discrimination laws." Another chapter in the DGPT and PDGA's series or short sighted moves regarding gender identity in the sport.

Cancelling FPO in the first place expecting to be able to find new locations potentially 100s of miles away on short notice was incredibly stupid.

This is, as they say, a modified, limited hangout. I doubt that 5 years now we'll still have a United series. I wonder whether we will have one in 2024. I'd hope that people would realize that Irish black gay trans people aren't the bogeyman they've been scapegoated into being.

It does look like it was the result of a collaboration between DGPT and at least some significant chunk of the the FPO pro tour players, at least judging by Paige Pierce's Instagram. Whether that includes the most vociferous anti-trans players I guess we will see.

It does have the benefit for Natalie that she doesn't have to go through the process of getting an injunction to play. Something that wouldn't be the case if she had to file suits in each of the 5 states before the tournaments. This would have been the case even if the DGPT choose not to fight those cases.

I'd hope that Natalie was included at some point in these conversations, for what I hope are obvious reasons. Otherwise there is no guarantee that this gives DGPT much, if any, benefit over simply having stayed the course.

When I do only begrudgingly do the bare minimum of what I'm legally obligated to do, and solely to make the justified lawsuits against me stop raining down upon me, I don't then publish a self-congratulatory press release about how awesome I am for doing that. (Edit: Especially when I intend to continue to do the reprehensible behavior in the jurisdictions which will allow me to do so.)

But I guess that's because I have a sense of shame and don't want to lie to people.

When I do only begrudgingly do the bare minimum of what I'm legally obligated to do, and solely to make the justified lawsuits against me stop raining down upon me, I don't then publish a self-congratulatory press release about how awesome I am for doing that. (Edit: Especially when I intend to continue to do the reprehensible behavior in the jurisdictions which will allow me to do so.)

But I guess that's because I have a sense of shame and don't want to lie to people.

I don't think the DGPT deserves any plaudits for this, certainly not on principle. They had to be dragged, proverbially, kicking and screaming, to do what they are clearly legally required to do in these particular states.

That said, asking any professional organization not to put the highest gloss on whatever turd ball they are throwing out there is like wishing for an unstriped zebra, a spotless leopard or a stingless scorpion. Tilt at the giants, not the windmills, I say.

Now, it's also completely unclear to me what kind of role Spring is playing here. Clearly there are forces at work here pushing in many directions. FDR, although probably apocryphally, is quoted as saying "I agree with you, now go out and make me do it." This captures something about how leadership works. You can't merely decree that which you wish. You are constrained to a greater or lesser extent by the will of those you lead. Sometimes it takes a certain kind of catalyst to crystallize that will.

Or maybe this is all knee-jerk reaction and ass covering. Hard to know.

I'd hope that Natalie was included at some point in these conversations, for what I hope are obvious reasons. Otherwise there is no guarantee that this gives DGPT much, if any, benefit over simply having stayed the course.
She wasn't. The only part of the discussion she was involved with was a 10 minute phone call from Paige Pierce, to try to bring her on board with the idea. She pointed out all the flaws with the plan, and was summarily shrugged off.

I made some slides about this. This is the third place I'm posting them, but they bear reading so in case you missed the other two threads by staying out of the water cooler, here they are:

I thought this United Series looked like DGPT had caved, but judging by the hate from y'all maybe I'm wrong?

What don't you guys like about it?

The thing that I don't like about it is the DGPT saying: "We don't have the money to fight this in court. Therefore, the only solution is to cancel and reschedule some events."

It turns out that was NOT their only solution

[
She wasn't. The only part of the discussion she was involved with was a 10 minute phone call from Paige Pierce, to try to bring her on board with the idea. She pointed out all the flaws with the plan, and was summarily shrugged off.

I made some slides about this. This is the third place I'm posting them, but they bear reading so in case you missed the other two threads by staying out of the water cooler, here they are:

Those slides make a bunch of good points, and ones I agree with. I especially agree that it rings very hollow to celebrate "everyone coming together" when "everyone" excludes the one person (and group) that theoretically is the one you are uniting with.

I have frequently felt very dispirited, abjectly dejected, and incapable of engaging with the flood of transohobic, derogatory or even just negative comments that appear on most platforms where Natalie comes up. I have to imagine that Natalie has been pushed so far inside a necessary shell of armor when it comes to competing in disc golf that she has no chance to integrate into that community. This isn't criticism, it's just unfortunate. What I mean is that it's hard to imagine Missy Gannon feeling similarly blindsided if Paige was coming to her defense.

Some are going to see this as me thinking that Natalie is somehow at fault. This is definitely not the case. Rather, it's a call (into the void, I guess) for someone inside the FPO field to make the effort to truly pull Natalie into their circle.

Far all I know, that's already a thing, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

About us without us. I am Nova's complete lack of surprise.

Now your post on the water cooler makes sense. I wasn't sure why you where referencing DGPT on a PDGA post.

This is still an effective ban for trans women who had bottom surgery long ago, can't produce 25+ year old blood tests, did not get medically unnecessary tests before these criteria were set, and some of whom went off hrt due to age to enter menopause and avoid cancer risk.

Can people that are ok with this statement from the dgpt paraphrase why it's ok?

Can people that are not ok with this statement from the dgpt paraphrase why it's not ok?

I have to admit my head is spinning and I don't understand who is and is not going to be allowed to play in fpo. Pardon my ignorance, I honestly just don't get it

Rib, without saying if the statement is okay or not, what is happening is that Natalie Ryan will be allowed to play FPO at 5 DGPT events that were planned to be cancelled two weeks ago or moved, but now are back on.

Natalie won't be allowed to play at a few DGPT events in states with fair laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.