• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] the joy of DX plastic

Why buy DX Plastic

• to try out a disc before upgrading.

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • I like the way it beats in.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I like the price.

Votes: 65 50.8%
  • I like the feel

Votes: 57 44.5%
  • I like the stamps

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I played in the pouring rain yesterday. Once my towels soaked all the way through the only discs I could get any grip on were my DX Eagle, DX Roc, and DX Rhyno. Playing in the rain is enough of a reason to carry a few discs in DX. Also, a beat in DX Eagle is magic.

actually playing in the rain is enough of a reason to carry a chamois cloth and keep using the good stuff

I use dx for over the water shots, and I love my dx sidewinder for big anhyzers. when I NEED a disc to go right, it will do it with minimal effort. I don't have to worry about it not doing whats its purpose is for me...it just does it, no questions asked.

i throw dx for mids and putters because slick plastic sucks for shots that aren't full power. why anyone would putt with champion, z, esp, star, whatever, is beyond me...

No hate here Prerube...

You have a reputation as a search Nazi. I'm kinda puzzled you didn't put this in the equipment section to begin with...

I wouldn't have said anything, if you weren't Prerube...

I start most of my threads in General Disc Golf and they get moved. I always forget the sub categories.
I did not see that you did say anything.

it could be totally in my head, but i think dx plastic has better glide.

You're not alone in your thoughts. I throw Eagles, and don't really care for them in Champ, due to my perceived lack of glide, compared to DX. Star Eagles are close, but not quite there. I wish they would make Pro Eagles, just to try out, if nothing else.

"Joy" might be too strong a word. :p

Dx Aviar putters and my Cobra mids. Others I buy to try for the feel. If I like it I buy it in better plastic.

Dx/pro d and pro/elite x simply suit my game better.
As being more of a finesse then power player, throwing comets/rocs/xl's/cyclones/xs'/avengers, the cheaper plastic give me a fuller, glidey'r, flight. They give me a lil more turn, giving me better d.they also seem to hit their cruise a lil easier.
In some of my molds, challengers/comets/cyclones, I value their old stamp or old base plastic more then most others.
I also find that using base plastic makes upgrading for wind easy...if you already use max weight z/champ, playing the wind- a skill I lack- or changing molds seems to be the wind options.

I try to stay away from dx because the courses in this region are so full of trees that I can not seem to make a dx disc keep its designed flight characteristics for more that a dozen throws or so. It never fails that after a dozen tree hits that the disc will be super flippy to the point that it is just garbage. There is a spot on my local course where there are probably half a dozen dx discs laying on the ground in a 30 foot circle behind hole 7 where I throw them. I figure if someone sees them there and wants to risk life and limb to get them, more power to them.

I love the feel of DX, how it beats in, and the sweet stamps (well some at least)... A lot of times discs just feel better in DX too. I definitely wouldn't have a problem throwing all DX if I had to!

aj

DX is for noobs to laugh at and think that anyone who throws it is dumb. Then they grow, learn and buy DX to add to their bag because it is a valuable asset. Looking at my current bag set up I guess I need to grow and learn... I have DX but most of it stays in my bag as of current.

FLESHY!!!

johnson, can you explain why DX teebirds are bag worthy? I think this is the stuff he is looking for.
He wants to know why certain DX discs are good enough for the bag, but others are not.

Personally I buy DX to throw over water. Sometimes I will try out a new mold with DX.

For rolling silly. :D When you absolutely, positively must have it stand up. My preference is a beat Stingray, or an Optimizer if it's an exremely tight turn.

For rolling silly. :D When you absolutely, positively must have it stand up. My preference is a beat Stingray, or an Optimizer if it's an exremely tight turn.

hmmm, maybe I can find use for my Stingray once more! Are they really good for rolling?

DX the faster plastic with more glide?

I love the DX even though I only carry one DX Whippet in the main bag. Had to buy it after I lost or left my beloved R-Pro model and discovered it has been discontinued. When I think about it, I've had my best tosses with either a DX Valkyrie, Wraith, or Firebird. Last spring on #13 Lincoln Ridge, I skipped a 169 wt DX Valkyrie off the top of the basket from 330 ft. The beat up 175 wt DX Wraith of mine has made a few 320 ft ace runs even though I do not toss it often. I find the R-Pro material to be similar to DX. For some reason, i can not throw the Champion or Star plastic as far as the DX or R-Pro.

johnson, can you explain why DX teebirds are bag worthy? I think this is the stuff he is looking for.
He wants to know why certain DX discs are good enough for the bag, but others are not.

Personally I buy DX to throw over water. Sometimes I will try out a new mold with DX.

DX teebirds are an entirely different disc to me. Once beaten in, they can be manipulated with ease using different speed/ amounts of snap and release angles to hold just about any line.... I just recently went back to a few DX molds and the teebird has provided the most controllable straight drives I have ever thrown with ultimate consistency. (and I can put a heck of a lot more D on them than the champs)